Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Warning Violent Surfer Gayan Chandi in Mirissa
peena
post Sep 8 2010, 07:26 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1303671
Nominate me as a Local Expert

This is a warning to all women who travel to Mirissa Beach on the south coast. There is a local surfer beachboy by the name of Gayan LakS*$#ha, but most people call him Chandi. He has dark skin, messy dredlocks, a tattoo of his ex girlfriend on the inside of his left forearm, and also an eagle on his right shoulder blade. He lives across from the cemetary near Udapila Junction.

He often hangs out at the beach, especially at Wadiya Resturant because Gayan will tell you he works there. This is not true, the owner Asanka, uses Gayan to lure female tourists into his buisness in order to make money off them.

I spent a month with Gayan in August, he was charming and sweet. This is all an act, he is very good at manipulating women and leading them to believe he is just a misunderstand poor village boy. He assaulted me one night on Mirissa beach because I wanted to go for a walk. I tried to run away down Galle Road, but he chased me. I had bruises and scratches all over my body. Luckily the next day he was arrested and when I went to speak to the WEligama OIC, he told me all about who Gayan really is. He has pending court cases for murder, gang rape, various assaults, and posession and distribution of heroin. I didn't even know he used smack, that's how good he is at hiding things. I found out from the OIC that he has assaulted many female tourists in the past, but most don't report it.

I fled the country to get away from this mess. But before I left I spoke to him on the phone from prison. He addmitted to shooting someone and justified the gang rape because he said she was a sl%t. The whole experience has been horrifying and I wished someone could have warned me considering his long list of victims. I believe him to be a psychopath, he is extremely good at manipulation and lies and everyone needs to stay away from him and warn others.

And please stay away from Wadiya Resturant, they know that he is a violent criminal and still use him to make money! It's so unsafe. Another guest house who knows his history and uses him to make money and doesn't warn tourists, is Suduweli guesthouse in Kirinda near Yala National Park. Stay away from here also. I stayed there one week with Gayan and the boss Shantha knows all about him and didn't warn me once! They are all as bad as each other, it's disgusting. Suduweli is in the lonelyplanet guide to Sri Lanka.

Please beware of this dangerous criminal, he can do some permanent damage to your life. At the moment he is locked up in Matara Prison, but he could be out at any time.

www.gayanchandi.blogspot.com

If you are also one of his many victims please email me at internationalvictimsofharm@gmail.com
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
karonug
post Sep 30 2010, 11:06 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 1360981

Here is a sad story, I saw another story like this in this site.

At the same time, every body, in every guide tell women to be very careful about beach boys.

I really understand the fact you're angry and sad, but you can't blame people not to tell you about the guy you're with. I went to that place in Kirinda and met Shanta and Barbara who were lovely and friendly people. I can even say that it was my favourite place in Sri-lanka.

I guess it's difficult for them to tell to somebody they don't know "you shouldn't hang on with that guy", if they have did, maybe you wouldn't have beleive them at that time, and i don't think it's part of their job.

Sometimes we make mistakes, but it's not fair to blame the others for what we do.

I really hope you'll get throught this bad experience and wish you all the best for the future.

caroline
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
peena
post Oct 1 2010, 07:22 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 1303671

Caroline,

Thank you for your response. I see where you are coming from but there is no warning about beach boys in Sri Lanka. Gayan is a well known criminal who has murdered and raped. Both shantha and Barbrera knew about him and yet didnt say anything. Wouldnt you want to be warned? Shantha should not allow him to stay there & should try and warn any females he does bring there. He has been a wittness to Gayan's abuse & violence & drug use & murder for over 15 years! He violated and manipulated and decieved me by keeping the truth from me and both asanka and shantha enabled that. They also did a great diservice when they are supposed to protect the well being of their guests. Furthermore shantha plies women with drugs and alcohol to get them to sleep with him. I think travellers need to know about this.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
sunbeam11
post Nov 10 2011, 12:56 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 2381173

So i think you had really a very bad time with the boy from Mirissa.

Also its important that you dont make a very bad discribing from another sri lankan people. Shantha has a wunderful place and makes a good work. He have a great knowledge abaout the nature and the animals.

We are all grown ups and can look forward what we want and what not. Everybody have to be awake on a journey in a unknown land.

I would never go on tour with somebodyelse, when i feel, i can not trust him. But we all make misstakes in our life and when we love somebody we are sometimes blind.

So now i wish you better journeys and my be you also come back to sri lanka. I love this Land and the people. And in Germany we have the same, everybody have to look, if it is possible to trust an unknown person and we should not give up our own responsibility.

Friendly regards for you
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
sunbeam11
post Nov 10 2011, 02:00 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 2381173

QUOTE(sunbeam11 @ Nov 10 2011, 12:56 AM) *

Also its important that you dont make a very bad discribing from another sri lankan people. Shantha has a wunderful place and makes a good work. He have a great knowledge abaout the nature and the animals.

We are all grown ups and can look forward what we want and what not. Everybody have to be awake on a journey in a unknown land.

I would never go on tour with somebodyelse, when i feel, i can not trust him. But we all make misstakes in our life and when we love somebody we are sometimes blind.

So now i wish you better journeys and may be you also come back to sri lanka. I love this Land and the people. And in Germany we have the same, everybody have to look, if it is possible to trust an unknown person and we should not give up our own responsibility.

Friendly regards for you

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
ginalocki
post Dec 23 2011, 06:11 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 2489043

Hello

I have been watching this thread with some interest over the last couple of years as I am a regular in Sri Lanka having some business interests there. I felt compelled to write as I believe that I have met these unsavoury characters discussed not only in this thread but seemingly across the entire internet! There are actual blogs and websites on these people and I urge all to have a read.

What I have found quite fascinating is the blatant defence of these criminal characters of their abuse of the young foreign females, not only from the locals, but also from other westerners who are obviously quite deluded or have been put up to this.

Dear Sunbeam, can you tell me, why and how is it ok for a guesthouse owner to encourage murderers on to their premises ? Isnt this a breach of duty of care? What would the government think? Should they be notified of this?

I am interested in your response on this. The victim should NOT be blamed.

Going by all that I have read, my advise to any young woman, would be to stay away from local men. Full stop. I know that is harsh, but it would avoid alot of trouble and mistakes such as Peena unwittingly got herself into.

Gina.

QUOTE(sunbeam11 @ Nov 10 2011, 02:00 AM) *

QUOTE(sunbeam11 @ Nov 10 2011, 12:56 AM) *

So now i wish you better journeys and may be you also come back to sri lanka. I love this Land and the people. And in Germany we have the same, everybody have to look, if it is possible to trust an unknown person and we should not give up our own responsibility.

Friendly regards for you

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
jimdatetoyotaye
post Jan 5 2012, 10:20 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 2560853

Hello all travelers heading to Sri Lanka
I have just returned from Mirissa where I had a lovely time except for a bad encounter with the manager of the Wadiya Restaurant.
This guy is an arrogant pig with an attitude who abuses his customers. He also thinks he is to cool for anybody to talk to if there is a problem with the food, staff, travel bookings etc.
I can only say to anybody heading to Mirissa Beach, STAY AWAY FROM WADIYA RESTAURANT !!!
The food is also over priced and under quality and i got food poisoning from there.
I can see from other posts that there has been problems before, I just wish I had known to stay away from this establishment whose management and staff are dodgy as hell.
Sri Lanka is lovely, just watch out in Mirissa.
Peace and good travels.

QUOTE(peena @ Sep 8 2010, 07:26 PM) *

This is a warning to all women who travel to Mirissa Beach on the south coast. There is a local surfer beachboy by the name of Gayan LakS*$#ha, but most people call him Chandi. He has dark skin, messy dredlocks, a tattoo of his ex girlfriend on the inside of his left forearm, and also an eagle on his right shoulder blade. He lives across from the cemetary near Udapila Junction.

He often hangs out at the beach, especially at Wadiya Resturant because Gayan will tell you he works there. This is not true, the owner Asanka, uses Gayan to lure female tourists into his buisness in order to make money off them.

I spent a month with Gayan in August, he was charming and sweet. This is all an act, he is very good at manipulating women and leading them to believe he is just a misunderstand poor village boy. He assaulted me one night on Mirissa beach because I wanted to go for a walk. I tried to run away down Galle Road, but he chased me. I had bruises and scratches all over my body. Luckily the next day he was arrested and when I went to speak to the WEligama OIC, he told me all about who Gayan really is. He has pending court cases for murder, gang rape, various assaults, and posession and distribution of heroin. I didn't even know he used smack, that's how good he is at hiding things. I found out from the OIC that he has assaulted many female tourists in the past, but most don't report it.

I fled the country to get away from this mess. But before I left I spoke to him on the phone from prison. He addmitted to shooting someone and justified the gang rape because he said she was a sl%t. The whole experience has been horrifying and I wished someone could have warned me considering his long list of victims. I believe him to be a psychopath, he is extremely good at manipulation and lies and everyone needs to stay away from him and warn others.

And please stay away from Wadiya Resturant, they know that he is a violent criminal and still use him to make money! It's so unsafe. Another guest house who knows his history and uses him to make money and doesn't warn tourists, is Suduweli guesthouse in Kirinda near Yala National Park. Stay away from here also. I stayed there one week with Gayan and the boss Shantha knows all about him and didn't warn me once! They are all as bad as each other, it's disgusting. Suduweli is in the lonelyplanet guide to Sri Lanka.

Please beware of this dangerous criminal, he can do some permanent damage to your life. At the moment he is locked up in Matara Prison, but he could be out at any time.

www.gayanchandi.blogspot.com

If you are also one of his many victims please email me at internationalvictimsofharm@gmail.com

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th July 2014 - 11:52 PM
Top Hotel Destinations in Sri Lanka

Ahangama Hotels
Ahungalla Hotels
Aluthgama Hotels
Anuradhapura Hotels
Bandarawela Hotels
Belihuloya Hotels
Bentota Hotels
Beruwela Hotels
Colombo Hotels
Dambulla Hotels
Deniyaya Hotels
Dikwella Hotels
Ella Hotels
Galle Hotels
Habarana Hotels
Hambantota Hotels
Haputale Hotels
Hikkaduwa Hotels
Induruwa Hotels
Jaffna Hotels
Kalutara Hotels
Kandalama Hotels
Kandy Hotels
Kitulgala Hotels
Kosgoda Hotels
Marawila Hotels
Matara Hotels
Mount Lavinia Hotels
Negombo Hotels
Nuwara Eliya Hotels
Polonnaruwa Hotels
Pottuvil Hotels
Sigiriya Hotels
Tangalla Hotels
Tissamaharama Hotels
Unawatuna Hotels
Wadduwa Hotels
Waikkal Hotels
Weligama Hotels
Yatiyana Minuwangoda Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.