Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Québecers to vote for new provincial government Dec. 8th
travellingjon
post Nov 5 2008, 03:11 PM
Post #1

Nomad

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 111680

For the second time in less than two years (last time was March 2007), Québec voters are summoned to the ballots. Quebecers, on December 8th, will decide if they again put their confidence in PM Jean Charest's Liberal team to face the worldwide financial crisis, and if so, whether they give him or not a majority at the Assembly this time.

The government launched this election itself (which is not always the case when you have a minoritary government), to much controversy ; some citizens question the timing of this decision, in this time of economical turmoil. But the two other major parties in Quebec are considered to be kind of weak and unprepared, on this first day of the campaign. We'll see where it goes from here...

In French :
http://elections.radio-canada.ca/elections...ec-Jour-1.shtml

In English :
http://news.sympatico.msn.ctv.ca/Canada/Co...&date=False
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Nov 5 2008, 03:13 PM
Post #2

Rolling Stone

Member No.: 103914

Wow, that's too much voting.... Does it seem chaotic over there to you, Jon?

Who are you voting for?

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
travellingjon
post Nov 5 2008, 08:18 PM
Post #3

Nomad

QUOTE(starlagurl @ Nov 5 2008, 03:13 PM) *

Wow, that's too much voting.... Does it seem chaotic over there to you, Jon?

Who are you voting for?

Here, it seems like people are pretty pissed off to see our leaders take a 33-day bus trip all over the province in a time like this, but we have no choice. It's possible that voters will hold their grudge against the government for that up until election day, but I don't think so.

I don't know which party I'll vote for, too.

The PLQ (Parti Libéral) is the government party ; never voted for them, probably never will. But some people (including themselves, which explains this election) think they are the most prepared for the crisis, that they have the best team. Maybe they're right, I'll think about it. It's true that economics has always been their strongest argument.

The first opposition party is the ADQ (Action Démocratique). It's a right-wing party, and Quebecers mostly voted for them out of anger against the Liberals in 2007. But my fellow citizens realized they're not right-wingers at all, so I'm predicting a huge drop for this one, this time around. I voted for them twice, don't know if I'll go for a 3rd time.

Second opposition party is PQ (Parti Québécois). They hit rock bottom in '07, can't get any worse. But after 5+ years of internal dissensions and four different party leaders in the decade, PQ is still pretty weak. They actually said that they'll try to benefit from an '"Obama effect" (you know, the "yes we can" attitude") to win, since Pauline Marois, the party leader, could become the first female Prime Minister in Québec. Loved them once, now a political act of the past, if you ask me ; but with adversaries like theirs, they still could get my vote.

But one thing's for sure : the Marxist-Leninist party won't get it.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Nov 6 2008, 10:13 AM
Post #4

Rolling Stone

Member No.: 103914

Hahaha...I hope the Marxist-Leninist party gets it! They would shake things up a bit!

Wow, sounds like quite the decision you have ahead of you. Good luck, and keep us updated, it's pretty interesting, I think.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
travellingjon
post Nov 11 2008, 05:40 PM
Post #5

Nomad

Yeah well... unfortunately, up to date it's one of most boring elections I was given to witness. Maybe it's just not enough after all the "America Votes" frenzy, but when the highlight of the campaign after one week is one leader calling another a "big liar" and then the liar in question retaliates by saying "oh yeah well you're snotty", you know you're in for one damn yawning election evening...
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
travellingjon
post Nov 25 2008, 09:05 AM
Post #6

Nomad

Will this incredibly boring election finally lift up a little ?
Big political debate on television tonight. Sounds like fun, eh ? yawn.gif
I'll keep you updated anyway.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
travellingjon
post Nov 26 2008, 01:48 PM
Post #7

Nomad

Well... debate wasn't that bad, after all.

The good : All three party leaders offered a pretty good performance, just as the campaign was beginning to really bore the crap out of Quebec voters. All were aggressive, and finally got to talk (at least a bit) of what they have to offer. Many experts think it's a draw between the three, and I tend to agree.

The bad : Lots of rude talking, and many awaited answers were not given. Most of all, nobody I think got out of there after convincing anybody they and their respective party were a real solid option to face the upcoming worldwide recession. And that's quite alarming, to be honest.

I'll stop there, as I begin to be as flat as this campaign. I'll tell you who won and who lost (or at the least, who won and lost the most) on December 8th.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2014 - 07:17 PM
Top Hotel Destinations

Acapulco Hotels
Atlanta Hotels
Austin Hotels
Beijing Hotels
Cancun Hotels
Charlotte Hotels
Chicago Hotels
Dallas Hotels
Denver Hotels
Honolulu Hotels
Houston Hotels
Indianapolis Hotels
Kissimmee Hotels
Las Vegas Hotels
London Hotels
Los Angeles Hotels
Mexico City Hotels
Miami Hotels
Miami Beach Hotels
Montreal Hotels
Myrtle Beach Hotels
Nashville Hotels
Negril Hotels
New Orleans Hotels
New York City Hotels
Orlando Hotels
Paris Hotels
Phoenix Hotels
Playa del Carmen Hotels
Puerto Plata Hotels
Puerto Vallarta Hotels
Punta Cana Hotels
Rome Hotels
San Antonio Hotels
San Diego Hotels
San Francisco Hotels
Seattle Hotels
Tampa Hotels
Toronto Hotels
Washington DC Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.