Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Eppiphany and Orthodox Christmas Worlwide
greekcypriot
post Jan 6 2012, 11:27 AM
Post #1

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 273790

Epiphany has a special meaning in Greece and it is celebrated on January the 6th. With this celebration the Christmas holidays come to an end.

The modern observance at Piraeus, the ancient port of Athens, takes the form of a priest hurling a large crucifix into the waters. Young men brave the cold and compete to retrieve it. These days however the cross is generally attached to a nice, safe long chain, just in case that year’s crop of divers is something less than desired.

After the diving local fishermen bring their boats to be blessed by the priest. Orthodox belief says that it was the day of the baptism of Jesus and that this is where the day’s association with water arises.

It is said that the ‘kalikantzari’ the malicious spirits who are said to be active during the twelve days of Christmas are believed to be banished for the rest of the year.
Epphiphany is also called the Phota or Fota in reference to the day being a Feast of Light, and it is also the Saint;s day for Agia Theofania.

The biggest observance is at Piraeus, but many islands and villages offer smaller versions of the event. It is definitely still a traditional holiday, performed by Greeks for themselves, not for tourists.

Have a look on the link below how Orthodox Christians celebrate this day:
Click to see the photos:

--------------------
My LATEST BLOGS: Marmari, Vasa, and CYPRUS, the Unique Destination for Business and Holidays!!!

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page. ~St. Augustine
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
charlotte
post Jan 7 2012, 09:17 PM
Post #2

Wanderer

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 6874

I did not even know about this special day until I was on the plane on my way to Costa Rica on exactly the 6th of January itself as this is not very big day for people in the UK, and it was saying in my guidebook I was finally getting to read that it is the celebration of the end of Christmas.

Here in San Jose, Costa Rica they have celebrated Christmas with their traditions and the Catholic religious traditions, everywhere I see the 'Navida' spirit and huge lit decorations still line the streets and the main square.

Great post,
Charlotte

--------------------
Charlotte Joyce
Mojito Girl
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st August 2014 - 08:07 PM
Top Hotel Destinations

Acapulco Hotels
Atlanta Hotels
Austin Hotels
Beijing Hotels
Cancun Hotels
Charlotte Hotels
Chicago Hotels
Dallas Hotels
Denver Hotels
Honolulu Hotels
Houston Hotels
Indianapolis Hotels
Kissimmee Hotels
Las Vegas Hotels
London Hotels
Los Angeles Hotels
Mexico City Hotels
Miami Hotels
Miami Beach Hotels
Montreal Hotels
Myrtle Beach Hotels
Nashville Hotels
Negril Hotels
New Orleans Hotels
New York City Hotels
Orlando Hotels
Paris Hotels
Phoenix Hotels
Playa del Carmen Hotels
Puerto Plata Hotels
Puerto Vallarta Hotels
Punta Cana Hotels
Rome Hotels
San Antonio Hotels
San Diego Hotels
San Francisco Hotels
Seattle Hotels
Tampa Hotels
Toronto Hotels
Washington DC Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.