Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Beijing, Short trip to China
fruitarefriends
post May 30 2012, 07:16 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2909073

Hi peeps,

I'm spending a week or so in China on my way back to New Zealand from Europe...
I have decided that about 4 days in Beijing would suit me (visiting the Great Wall, forbidden city, palaces, tombs and so on). I'm a young solo budget traveller interested in historical sights, architecture, nature, Chinese culture and authentic cusine. Would it be worthwhile heading to Hong Kong or Shanghi or should I spend my time in the country surrounding Beijing, if so, where would you recommend?

I'll be there for the tail end of their new years celebrations next year (from 20th Feb)
so I would like to experience that if possible altho most celebrations seems to occur earlier in the month.

Help apprecaited
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
gracefan
post Jan 31 2013, 02:14 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 3557313

In Beijing, I advise you to visit the essence of Beijing which include Great Wall, Forbidden City, Summer Palace, Lama Temple, Temple of Heaven, Ming Tombs, Tianmen Square. As for another city, I suggest Xian. You can consider the following itinerary.

Day 1, Arriving in Beijing. If you arrive in the morning, have a good rest and explore the Hutong area in the afternoon.
Day 2, Stroll around the Tianmen Square which is surrounded by many significant buildings including the Museums, Chairman Mao's Mausoleum and Heavely Gate. Then visit Forbidden City which faces Tiananmen Square at very close distance. In the rest of time, you can visit other attractions.
Day 3. Drive to climb the Great Wall in the morning. Then drive to visit Ming Tombs.
Day 4, In the morning, pay a visit to Temple of Heaven. In the afternoon, take flights or night train to Xian.

It is possible to visit Xian in two days.
If you take flight, it takes you about nearly two hours. After arriving in Xian, take shuttle bus to the downtown area and stroll along Xian Muslim Quarter Area after a short rest. Day 5, visit Terracotta Army. You can take coach bus at the east of Xian Railway Station. It takes you about 40 minutes and about 2 hours to visit Terracotta Army. In the afternoon, you can visit Shangxi Historical Museum (free) and Big Wild Goose Pagoda, these two are about 10-minute walk

If you take night train, you can arrive in Xian in the morning of te fifth day. And take the coach bus at the east of Railway Station to visit Terracotta Army. In the afternoon, visit Shangxi Historical Museum (free) and Big Wild Goose Pagoda.

But you have to book hotels and transportation beforehand if you plan an independent travel.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
albimorkel
post Feb 4 2013, 07:10 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 3575133

Shanghai is one of the best place in for touring and traveling purpose.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
luke_1989
post Feb 9 2013, 07:40 AM
Post #4

Pathfinder

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 266185

Beijing is amazing so much to see there. All the attractions you can access by getting the tube which when i was there was 25 pence a journey.

Defo recommend the forbidden city and the Summer palace i thought was the best place I had seen there. I booked a tour to see the great wall and it left at 7am and arrived at 10am then had lunch arranged at 1pm and came back 3pm was a really good day and booked through my hostel.

I spent 12 days in Beijing kind of got stuck and didn't get to see anymore of china due to a lot of flooding at the time but Beijing is an amazing place and i could spend many weeks there..
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th July 2014 - 04:37 AM
Top Hotel Destinations in China

Beijing Hotels
Changchun Hotels
Changsha Hotels
Chengdu Hotels
Chongqing Hotels
Dalian Hotels
Dongguan Hotels
Foshan Hotels
Fuzhou Hotels
Guangzhou Hotels
Guilin Hotels
Haikou Hotels
Hangzhou Hotels
Harbin Hotels
Hefei Hotels
Hong Kong Hotels
Jinan Hotels
Kunming Hotels
Lanzhou Hotels
Lijiang Hotels
Nanchang Hotels
Nanjing Hotels
Nanning Hotels
Ningbo Hotels
Qingdao Hotels
Sanya Hotels
Shanghai Hotels
Shenyang Hotels
Shenzhen Hotels
Suzhou Hotels
Taiyuan Hotels
Tianjin Hotels
Urumqi Hotels
Wenzhou Hotels
Wuhan Hotels
Wuxi Hotels
Xi'an Hotels
Xiamen Hotels
Zhengzhou Hotels
Zhuhai Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.