Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 24 Hours in Salzburg, Great ideas for stuff to do in Austria
starlagurl
post Feb 8 2008, 10:35 AM
Post #1

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 103914

I just discovered this blog and it's great! I don't know who writes it, but I love to read it, and dream...

http://www.venere.com/blog/24-hours-salzburg/

Whether you’re planning a family vacation or a romantic holiday in Austria, a visit to the enchanting baroque city of Salzburg is a must-do. To see all that this lovely town at the foot of the Austrian Alps has to offer would take more than a mere day. If your stay in Salzburg is too short to discover all the treasures of Mozart’s birthplace, make these city attractions are on your top list:
The Sound of Music sites

The Sound of Music was famously filmed in Salzburg in 1965 and has drawn tourists to the area ever since. Fans of the musical will want to hit up some of the many sights that served as a backdrop to the movie.

Visit the beautiful Mirabell Gardens where Maria and the Von Trap children sang ‘Do-Re-Mi,’ or go to the famous Sound of Music Pavilion where ‘I am 16 going on 17’ was sang. Various Sound of Music tours are offered but may leave you pinched for time later in the day.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
kacampau
post Feb 10 2008, 04:14 PM
Post #2

Nomad

Group: Members
Member No.: 17223

I hear that the Sound of Music tours are a waste of money. Has anyone been on one?

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
sharon1306
post Feb 15 2008, 08:19 AM
Post #3

Wayfarer

Group: Members
Member No.: 986

QUOTE(kacampau @ Feb 10 2008, 04:14 PM) *

I hear that the Sound of Music tours are a waste of money. Has anyone been on one?

I'm headed to the Salzburg area in May, so I've been doing some reading up. Most of the sites can be reached by foot or public transportation and can be done on your own. There's a sound of music bicycle tour that was recommended but I don't have much information on that. I think the tour might be worthwhile only if you have very little time to see all the sites. I personally hate bus tours, so I don't think I'm going to be doing the tour.

Anyways, I thought this website was interesting:

http://www.movie-locations.com/intromovies/soundmusic.html
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
sarahindenmark
post Oct 21 2009, 11:23 PM
Post #4

Drifter

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 55728

I was backpacking alone and met up with some fun people. We decided to give in, be geeky tourists, and do the Sound of Music tour. I thought it would be some cheesy good natured fun.

Eh...just don't do it.

It SUCKS. Any of the cooler sites you see from a distance, you spend a lot of time in the bus and the tour guide...well...he talks like a really bad game show host. He's so annoying.

The tour is REALLY expensive. And they stop on the side of the road for random, hey look we have mountains! stuff. As I was backpacking around Austria, I didn't really need this.

And the gazebo? They moved it to sit in the middle of a random park. Then some old lady danced around in it, fell, and broke her hip. So now, it's all locked up. So I paid 30 euros and didn't even get to run around like a stupid tourist in the gazebo.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2014 - 06:58 PM
Top Hotel Destinations

Acapulco Hotels
Atlanta Hotels
Austin Hotels
Beijing Hotels
Cancun Hotels
Charlotte Hotels
Chicago Hotels
Dallas Hotels
Denver Hotels
Honolulu Hotels
Houston Hotels
Indianapolis Hotels
Kissimmee Hotels
Las Vegas Hotels
London Hotels
Los Angeles Hotels
Mexico City Hotels
Miami Hotels
Miami Beach Hotels
Montreal Hotels
Myrtle Beach Hotels
Nashville Hotels
Negril Hotels
New Orleans Hotels
New York City Hotels
Orlando Hotels
Paris Hotels
Phoenix Hotels
Playa del Carmen Hotels
Puerto Plata Hotels
Puerto Vallarta Hotels
Punta Cana Hotels
Rome Hotels
San Antonio Hotels
San Diego Hotels
San Francisco Hotels
Seattle Hotels
Tampa Hotels
Toronto Hotels
Washington DC Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.