Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> First trip to Europe/Italy (Suggestions on itinerary)
gregbraddy
post Mar 18 2010, 11:18 PM
Post #1

Wanderer

Group: Members
Member No.: 848711
Nominate me as a Local Expert

I was wondering what suggestions anyone has regarding this itinerary. Is it doable? Is it too much or too little? Is it in the correct order for visting.

Rome:3 full days not including arrival day

Florence 4 full days plus 1/2 day for arrival. 2 out of the 4 will be for side trips to Sienna one day and Pisa and Lucca the other. Also..is it recommended to take a train there and go on own or to take a guided tour from Florence.

Next is Cinque Terre for 1 1/2 days (1/2 day arrival)

Venice for 3 1/2 days (1/2 day arrival day)

Lake Como for 1 1/2 days (1/2 day arrival day)

Milan for 1 day and leaving the next.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Mar 19 2010, 03:05 PM
Post #2

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 103914

How are you getting around?

It seems a bit rushed for me. Rome is alright, and I don't think I would spend that much time in Venice.

Maybe take a day away from venice and spread it out over the other cities.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
dragon11
post Mar 21 2010, 01:23 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 858651

Hi, Are you renting a car - that's definately the best way to get around. Days for Rome are enough, also one whole day in Sienna and Pisa are good. Guided tour or on your own is fine,call into a tourist information for the sights.The rest of your trip is a bit rushed. Lake Como for example you could spend more time there it's beautiful.Venice a couple of days is fine and Milan - depends what you want to do there, big enough city, good shopping, you could spend more time there if that's what you want.Hope that helps a little.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
travelmonster
post Mar 21 2010, 01:31 PM
Post #4

Rolling Stone

Member No.: 101826

I've been to two of those places, Venice and Milan. Out of the two I would be inclined to spend more time in Milan. However, it does of course depend on your interests.

--------------------
In Search Of ...........

"Begin doing what you want to do now. We are not living in eternity. We have only this moment sparkling like a star in our hand -- and melting like a snowflake" - Marie Beynon Ray
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
dancera
post Mar 27 2010, 07:53 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 250755

I have been to all those places and here is what I suggest:

First of all, I think you should take a train. If you have the rail pass then you are all set, but even if you dont, it's still reasonably priced to just buy tickets point to point. You can just buy tickets at the stations.

Rome: 3 full days is plenty.

Florence: 4 full days is also plenty. Florence is rather small so you can see a lot. I also did a day trip to Pisa and Livorno. We took a train out there and Pisa is very tiny so you don't need a guided tour.

Cinque Terre: you need to be there more days!! It is the most beautiful place I have ever seen. I was there for 4 1/2 days and wish I could have planned for more. We tried to spend a day in each of the five villages. But you should try to cut and paste your trip a little and add some more time to Cinque Terre. You will not regret it, I promise.

Venice: 3 1/2 days you probably don't need. We were there for 2 and saw everything and still got to really enjoy the atmosphere. It is beautiful but you don't need that much time...cut it short and add to Cinque Terre :)

Lake Como: that will be good. We took a day trip there from Milan and saw a lot but it would be nice to spend a night there. It is beautiful as well.

Milan: 1 day is good. I found Milan to be my least favorite city of all. Unless you are doing a lot of shopping, I think 1 day is enough to see it all.

Hope that helps!!

QUOTE(gregbraddy @ Mar 19 2010, 12:18 AM) *

I was wondering what suggestions anyone has regarding this itinerary. Is it doable? Is it too much or too little? Is it in the correct order for visting.

Rome:3 full days not including arrival day

Florence 4 full days plus 1/2 day for arrival. 2 out of the 4 will be for side trips to Sienna one day and Pisa and Lucca the other. Also..is it recommended to take a train there and go on own or to take a guided tour from Florence.

Next is Cinque Terre for 1 1/2 days (1/2 day arrival)

Venice for 3 1/2 days (1/2 day arrival day)

Lake Como for 1 1/2 days (1/2 day arrival day)

Milan for 1 day and leaving the next.

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
eleoshka
post Apr 16 2010, 02:43 PM
Post #6

Wayfarer

Member No.: 287622

Everything depends on what kind of traveler you are.

Rome is really big. You won't enjoy it if you always have to run from one place to another. Although if you don't like visiting museums just looking the city, it is quite enough.

2 days is enough for Venice, there isn't much to do there. One day just have a walk, enter San Marco cathedral, Doge's palace, enjoy the town, if you like go shopping. Second day you can visit the islands Murano, Burano and St.Lazar.

Florence is perhaps my favorite city, I stayed there for 5 days and I enjoyed every minute there. You won't get bored there, truly.

Cinque Terre - I just spent there 1 day, rushing from one Terre to another and I felt it was too little time.. To really enjoy it and relax there one needs about 3 days.

I haven't been to Lake Como so can't tell anything about it..

And finally Milan is ok, there is only one thing to see - the Duomo, which is absolutely amazing, no words to describe. And there is only one thing to do - shopping)) You can visit La Scala if you want, though don't anticipate something great and gorgious - the building is not as beautiful and gracious as its history.

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
travelmonster
post Apr 16 2010, 03:45 PM
Post #7

Rolling Stone

Member No.: 101826

It's such a shame that so many people think that all there is to do in Milan is shop. It's really not true. I spent two full days there, I didn't do any shopping as it's not something I enjoy and I didn't get to see everything.

Here are some suggestions if you do go:

Firstly The Duomo, as already mentioned, is absolutely stunning, you could easily spend a few hours just looking round this alone.

La Scala, which is one of the most famous opera houses in the world, is supposed have a spectacular auditorium inside. Unfortunately it was closed for renovations when we were there, but definitely worth a look from what I've been told.

There is also a castle, which was free to enter when we went, the only thing that is charged for is if you want to enter into one of the many museums that are housed inside. We looked round the musical museum and the Egyptian museum and both were very interesting, but there are several other museums on the site depending on interests.

Then there is Porta Ticinese where there is a square with roman columns, a medieval gate and the basilica of San Lorenzo. There are some beautiful frescoes and mosaics in the basilica which were definitely worth looking at.

Also there is San Ambrogio, an old abbey - one of the oldest in Milan. It has beautiful cloisters and the monk's tower/bell tower.

There is an area called Navigli, where there are some canals and many waterside cafes, which is a lovely area. In truth though you will be spoilt for choice for places to eat, drink and watch the world go by.

Of course there is also 'The Last Supper' to see, but if you want to see that, you have to book months in advance because it gets booked up very quickly, and consequently we missed it on our trip.

So yeah, as you can see, Milan is a big place and has far, far more to it than most people credit it for. It does depend on your interests though.

--------------------
In Search Of ...........

"Begin doing what you want to do now. We are not living in eternity. We have only this moment sparkling like a star in our hand -- and melting like a snowflake" - Marie Beynon Ray
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
eleoshka
post Apr 17 2010, 02:22 AM
Post #8

Wayfarer

Member No.: 287622

Oh yes the if you want to see"The last supper" you have to book some half a year in advance!! I was trying to book a ticket in may for august and the places were full *sigh..

I really haven't heard of the canal area, sounds interesting) can you show it on the map?
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2014 - 11:01 PM
Top Hotel Destinations

Acapulco Hotels
Atlanta Hotels
Austin Hotels
Beijing Hotels
Cancun Hotels
Charlotte Hotels
Chicago Hotels
Dallas Hotels
Denver Hotels
Honolulu Hotels
Houston Hotels
Indianapolis Hotels
Kissimmee Hotels
Las Vegas Hotels
London Hotels
Los Angeles Hotels
Mexico City Hotels
Miami Hotels
Miami Beach Hotels
Montreal Hotels
Myrtle Beach Hotels
Nashville Hotels
Negril Hotels
New Orleans Hotels
New York City Hotels
Orlando Hotels
Paris Hotels
Phoenix Hotels
Playa del Carmen Hotels
Puerto Plata Hotels
Puerto Vallarta Hotels
Punta Cana Hotels
Rome Hotels
San Antonio Hotels
San Diego Hotels
San Francisco Hotels
Seattle Hotels
Tampa Hotels
Toronto Hotels
Washington DC Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.