Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> China, Guangxi and Yunan provinces, FAQ for the Southeast of China
bob8888
post Sep 4 2008, 09:26 AM
Post #1

Wayfarer

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 50553

Five years ago I made my first trip to China. Since then I have returned each year for 2 or 3 months. The first year I was here I came as a teacher of business English. It was going to be in the Province of Guangxi. Which is in the southeast of China. It borders Vietnam. The school in Guilin I was to teach at was over booked and I was sent to a small town called Yangshuo.
Yangshuo, a small town by the Li River, is well-known for its super natural landscape. With comfortable climate, ever green vegetation, abundant rivers and jade-like hills, it is reputed as the fairyland under heaven. Thus goes the famous saying: Guilin's Landscape tops those elsewhere, while Yangshuo's landscape tops that of Guilin. The best known scenic spots include the Green Lotus Peak, Yangshuo Park, Silver Cave, Old Banyan Tree and Moon Hill. Each scene differs from another with its characteristics. Even the same scene varies with the change of the seasons and in different temperatures within the same day.
Yangshuo is famous not only for its green hills and clear water, but also for its cultural atmosphere, which is symbolized by the West Street-a street of western flavor. The 600-meter long street is lined with small shops and restaurants, selling souvenirs, serving local dishes to the visitors. Many foreigners inhabit this street, hence its other name is Foreigner Street. Here the waiters in bars, restaurants, internet cafes and handcraft shops, ordinary residents and even the granny selling the fruits can speak English fluently.
The rest of the Province of Guangxi is also full of sites and surprises from it sandy beaches of Beihai to the rich banana field alone the Vietnam border to the terraced rice fields of Longji.
I have visited at least 7 other provinces of China but I keep coming back to Guangxi to discover more.
Airport: There is an international airport in Guilin. I generally take a flight from San Francisco with one stop in either Seoul, Korea or in Hong Kong. If you watch you internet carefully you should be able to get a flight for around $1000 round trip. From Guilin to Yangshuo, about a 2 hour drive, bus is about $2 or $3 dollars or you can hire a car and driver for about $25.
Hotels: In all my travels of China so far I have found that you get the most for your money in Yangshuo. A nice clean no star hotel, with TV, AC, internet, western toilets, are around $10 a night. If you want to go a little more local you can easily cut that price in half. If you are going to stay around for a month or more then you can get a room for about $40 or $50 a month.

Food: Guangxi and Yangshuo in particular are famous for there local foods. Once again go a little local and you get a breakfast of Guilin noodle (a bit spicy) for about 30 cents.

I hope this has wet your appetite and senses to find out more. The other province that I have traveled extensively in is Yunan. I would like to represent both of those if you need me.

User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Sep 4 2008, 09:31 AM
Post #2

Rolling Stone

Member No.: 103914

Thanks Bob, as long as you write up a quality starter kit for Yunan, you can also be the Local Expert for that province.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
charlotte850505
post Oct 31 2008, 03:59 AM
Post #3

Explorer

Group: Members
Member No.: 251580

QUOTE(starlagurl @ Sep 4 2008, 09:31 AM) *

Thanks Bob, as long as you write up a quality starter kit for Yunan, you can also be the Local Expert for that province.

Don't be stupid ,that GuiLin is not at Yunan,it is in GuangXi,thanks,it seems that you are know nothing about China,you should go to study then come back
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
shangguan
post Nov 7 2008, 03:04 AM
Post #4

Pathfinder

Member No.: 255321

QUOTE(charlotte850505 @ Oct 31 2008, 03:59 AM) *

Don't be stupid ,that GuiLin is not at Yunan,it is in GuangXi,thanks,it seems that you are know nothing about China,you should go to study then come back

Nobody claimed Guilin was in Yunnan. Maybe you should read them a little more carefully.

"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt." -- Mark Twain ...

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
bob8888
post Nov 7 2008, 07:50 PM
Post #5

Wayfarer

Come again WHO said Guilin was in Yunan?????? Maybe you should take a moment and thingk before you become a critic. I invite constructive criticism but YES Mark Twain was right. Check you facts. I was talking about being an expert in two of the Provinces. But since I have been very busy I have not set up the FAQ for Yunan yet.

QUOTE(scottshangguan @ Nov 7 2008, 03:04 AM) *

QUOTE(charlotte850505 @ Oct 31 2008, 03:59 AM) *

Nobody claimed Guilin was in Yunnan. Maybe you should read them a little more carefully.

"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt." -- Mark Twain ...

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
bob8888
post Nov 13 2008, 12:01 AM
Post #6

Wayfarer

If you want to teach in china or come as a student or if you are a chinese student check out www.chinaculturalcenter.com .
angel1.gif
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
chinaguy
post Nov 18 2008, 04:08 AM
Post #7

Wanderer

Member No.: 255837

very good story air_kiss.gif
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
bob8888
post Dec 15 2008, 01:15 PM
Post #8

Wayfarer

I understand that they are recruiting in Yangshuo for teachers for the spring. You can go to www.chinaculturalcenter.com for applications and signing up.
Check it out. The weather is still fantastic in Yangshuo and it is December.
come and have some fun.
Hotels are cheap and hostels even cheaper.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
baofei0614
post Jan 20 2009, 10:13 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 267049

Thanks for your Detailed introduction of Yang Shuo, I visited Guilin many years ago, at that time I didn't hear about Yang Shuo, but I want to travel there because I like the acient ethnic constructions of China. If I have chance to go to YangShuo,it would be very convenient,there for ,I'm the local people in Yunnan province.Ha Ha..
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
baofei0614
post Jan 20 2009, 10:20 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 267049

I'm sorry I made a mistake: not " there for", is "after all"... sweat.gif
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
bob8888
post Sep 30 2009, 06:27 PM
Post #11

Wayfarer

Yangshuo is a great place. Now at the 49 Juice bar, which is on the river and not on West street has OPEN TALK each night at around 7pm. There are students from all over china and people from around the world who come and meet. If you are in Yangshuo and want to meet some chinese and just talk come by and see.
Bob has one rule you must ask at least one question or pay him 1000 rmb.
So come prepared
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
miffyanddougle
post Oct 30 2009, 09:13 PM
Post #12

Drifter

Member No.: 273729

Thanks for the link to the Cultural Centre, we plan on going to Yangshuo after hearing about it from our friends, and we need to find somewhere really cheap to hang out until we can go to Vietnam in December. So we heard that we can volunteer and in return get free food and accomodation. Or instead there's the chance of teaching privately and earning 100Yuan an hour or so I think.

Can't wait to go and see the beauty of this place.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
angel003
post Nov 16 2009, 11:37 PM
Post #13

Wanderer

Member No.: 511301

Hello
Dong New Year is a traditional festival for the Dong Ethnic People living in southeast Guizhou. The date for that occasion varies according to regions but it commonly falls on the period from 1st day of the eleventh lunar month to the 11th day. However, there are exceptions and in some particular villages, the festival takes place in the tenth month. The reason for beginning the year at that time is that it is the time after autumn harvest. In another word, this is the time for rest and relaxation after a year’s toil.

The Dong New Year is a very important occasion for the Dong Ethnic people as the New Year Festival to the Han Chinese. Days before the New Year, Dong people make new clothes, clean their houses, make glutinous rice cakes, slaughter pigs, cattle for feasts. On the even of the New Year, the Dong ethnic people usually prepare a course of dish called” cold dish”, which is cooked with bean curd and home mage vinegar. People expose the cooked dish to the cold air and let it frozen. The “cold dish” is the sacrifice to ancestors.

Thanks

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
jessibarem
post Mar 3 2010, 08:46 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 796111

Hello Bob,

I read some of your answers . Before all, sorry My English, but my first language is spanish. I'm traying to improve it.
I'm living in china, but working. I will go to guilin for two nights only. We arrive sat mid day and go to another place on mon morning.
What do you suggest me to visit in Guilin or Yangshuo for my first and short time? (I will come back, because it's seems great!)
Thank you very much!
Jessi

QUOTE(bob8888 @ Sep 4 2008, 09:26 AM) *

Five years ago I made my first trip to China. Since then I have returned each year for 2 or 3 months. The first year I was here I came as a teacher of business English. It was going to be in the Province of Guangxi. Which is in the southeast of China. It borders Vietnam. The school in Guilin I was to teach at was over booked and I was sent to a small town called Yangshuo.
Yangshuo, a small town by the Li River, is well-known for its super natural landscape. With comfortable climate, ever green vegetation, abundant rivers and jade-like hills, it is reputed as the fairyland under heaven. Thus goes the famous saying: Guilin's Landscape tops those elsewhere, while Yangshuo's landscape tops that of Guilin. The best known scenic spots include the Green Lotus Peak, Yangshuo Park, Silver Cave, Old Banyan Tree and Moon Hill. Each scene differs from another with its characteristics. Even the same scene varies with the change of the seasons and in different temperatures within the same day.
Yangshuo is famous not only for its green hills and clear water, but also for its cultural atmosphere, which is symbolized by the West Street-a street of western flavor. The 600-meter long street is lined with small shops and restaurants, selling souvenirs, serving local dishes to the visitors. Many foreigners inhabit this street, hence its other name is Foreigner Street. Here the waiters in bars, restaurants, internet cafes and handcraft shops, ordinary residents and even the granny selling the fruits can speak English fluently.
The rest of the Province of Guangxi is also full of sites and surprises from it sandy beaches of Beihai to the rich banana field alone the Vietnam border to the terraced rice fields of Longji.
I have visited at least 7 other provinces of China but I keep coming back to Guangxi to discover more.
Airport: There is an international airport in Guilin. I generally take a flight from San Francisco with one stop in either Seoul, Korea or in Hong Kong. If you watch you internet carefully you should be able to get a flight for around $1000 round trip. From Guilin to Yangshuo, about a 2 hour drive, bus is about $2 or $3 dollars or you can hire a car and driver for about $25.
Hotels: In all my travels of China so far I have found that you get the most for your money in Yangshuo. A nice clean no star hotel, with TV, AC, internet, western toilets, are around $10 a night. If you want to go a little more local you can easily cut that price in half. If you are going to stay around for a month or more then you can get a room for about $40 or $50 a month.

Food: Guangxi and Yangshuo in particular are famous for there local foods. Once again go a little local and you get a breakfast of Guilin noodle (a bit spicy) for about 30 cents.

I hope this has wet your appetite and senses to find out more. The other province that I have traveled extensively in is Yunan. I would like to represent both of those if you need me.

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
jessibarem
post Mar 4 2010, 01:07 AM
Post #15

Member No.: 796111

Thank you Bob.

Could you recomend me some hotels? a no star hotel for $10 it would be fine for us.

And I didn't understand one thing, the places yo recomend to visit are in Yangshuo, right? could you recomend me the best places to see en Guilin too?

thank you very much,

Jessi

QUOTE(bob8888 @ Sep 4 2008, 09:26 AM) *

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
bob8888
post Apr 22 2010, 07:02 PM
Post #16

Wayfarer

Hello from yangshuo, Things have changed a little since my first posting but much has stayded the same. You might want to check out www.itsaboutchina.com for some new places to stay and eat in Yangshuo. Or if you would like to stay for free you might want to check out www.chinaculturalcenter.com

If you get to Yangshuo you should check out BOB's any evening. It is where lots of chinese students and locals hang out to practice their oral english.

Hope to see you all soon
Bob
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
fdakuae
post Jul 5 2010, 05:54 PM
Post #17

Drifter

Member No.: 517951

Thanks for amazing information about Guilin.. I intened to visit yunnan region especially Lijiang, Zhongdian (Shangeri-La), and up to sichuan province to Derong, Xiangcheng,Daocheng, etc...
I would like to know is easy to reach Lijiang Yulong Snow Mountain? Basically I like to be their because it's a snowy mountain you know we don't know see snow much at Arabian Gulf region....also we like to have a view of Lijiang of cable car and top of hill..is it worth it?
Do you know about road closure at Tiger Leaping Gorge this month?
what's most non missing thing you like to do at Lijiang?

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
bob8888
post Aug 10 2010, 07:55 AM
Post #18

Wayfarer

QUOTE(fdakuae @ Jul 5 2010, 05:54 PM) *

Thanks for amazing information about Guilin.. I intened to visit yunnan region especially Lijiang, Zhongdian (Shangeri-La), and up to sichuan province to Derong, Xiangcheng,Daocheng, etc...
I would like to know is easy to reach Lijiang Yulong Snow Mountain? Basically I like to be their because it's a snowy mountain you know we don't know see snow much at Arabian Gulf region....also we like to have a view of Lijiang of cable car and top of hill..is it worth it?

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
bob8888
post Aug 10 2010, 07:59 AM
Post #19

Wayfarer

QUOTE(bob8888 @ Aug 10 2010, 07:55 AM) *

QUOTE(fdakuae @ Jul 5 2010, 05:54 PM) *

If you are going to Yunan I would go to Dali. Lots to see there and to do. Walled city, butterfly valley park, Buddhist temple (some of the largest) and of course the lake. Then when you go to Shangarila go to the Park and take the cable car to Yak Meadow it is unbelieveable.
yes the road to Tiger Leaping Gorge is an on again off again thing, you will know why when you go.
Best of luck
Bob
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2014 - 08:48 PM
Top Hotel Destinations in China

Beijing Hotels
Changchun Hotels
Changsha Hotels
Chengdu Hotels
Chongqing Hotels
Dalian Hotels
Dongguan Hotels
Foshan Hotels
Fuzhou Hotels
Guangzhou Hotels
Guilin Hotels
Haikou Hotels
Hangzhou Hotels
Harbin Hotels
Hefei Hotels
Hong Kong Hotels
Jinan Hotels
Kunming Hotels
Lanzhou Hotels
Lijiang Hotels
Nanchang Hotels
Nanjing Hotels
Nanning Hotels
Ningbo Hotels
Qingdao Hotels
Sanya Hotels
Shanghai Hotels
Shenyang Hotels
Shenzhen Hotels
Suzhou Hotels
Taiyuan Hotels
Tianjin Hotels
Urumqi Hotels
Wenzhou Hotels
Wuhan Hotels
Wuxi Hotels
Xi'an Hotels
Xiamen Hotels
Zhengzhou Hotels
Zhuhai Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.