Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

5 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> New Photo Album Release
post Jul 23 2007, 10:45 AM
Post #1

Group:
Member No.:

Update

There appears to be an issue with the Uploader in Firefox 2.0.0.5 on MAC OSX. I believe this is a Firefox issue. Until Firefox releases a new update try using Safari, an older version of Firefox or Camino.

--Shaun

You've asked for it, and we hear you loud and clear... We've just released a new set of photo album tools. It's a massive improvement that should make uploading your travel memories to TravelPod so much easier.

Here's a brief list of the new features:

1. Album Editor - you can now edit all your photos for an entry all at once! No more editing one image at a time.
2. Photo Sorter - you can sort your photos by dragging and dropping them in place, no more wacky numbered titles.
3. Video thumbnails are now created for videos automatically after you upload them.
4. Media Player - we have a new player for MP3's and windows users can now view your videos in an embedded media player instead of downloading the video first.
5. Photo Uploader - finally a drag and drop photo uploader that allows you to upload files from your hard drive by dragging and dropping. Photos are automatically previewed, resized and optimized *before* being uploaded for lightening fast uploads. You can even rotate them before you upload. We've also improved photo handling so that you should very rarely see any errors with uploads.
6. Photos with duplicate titles are now allowed - no more "Ooops you have a dup title" errors
7. Now you can upload as many photos as you want, no more "5 at a time limit"

To use these new features it's best that your browser be up-to-date but it should work on most:
- IE: 5.5 or better
- Firefox: version 1.0 or better
- Safari: a recently updated version

There are a few lingering issues with the photo uploader that we're working on:
1. When uploading large videos or images, the progress bar tends to hang on windows machines, please be patient your file is uploading.
2. The CMYK image format is not supported in the Java version (on any non-IE browser) of the photo uploader. They will appear either very small or blocky after upload. However if you are using Internet Explorer CMYK images will work fine.
3. Draging and dropping photos in the uploader on the MAC using Firefox does not work, use the Add or Add All buttons.

We'd love to hear from you, let us know what you think!

Note: If you experience any difficulties, please let us know by posting the browser type, version and operating system.

Cheers,
Shaun McQuaker
Web Developer, TravelPod
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
whereshegoes
post Jul 23 2007, 11:46 AM
Post #2

Journeyer

Group: Members
Member No.: 5
Nominate me as a Local Expert

All I can say is: hyper.gif

Thanks Shaun! I can't wait to FINALLY upload ALL my pics download.gif

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
peacefrog
post Jul 23 2007, 11:58 AM
Post #3

Pathfinder

Member No.: 581

hyper.gif me tooooo hyper.gif

Cheers Shaun, just great. And just in time for a big batch party.gif

gora.gif

--------------------
A day back around the world

« Sans curiosité on meurt et sans courage on ne vit pas. »
[ Hugo Pratt ]
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
wakingdream
post Jul 23 2007, 12:12 PM
Post #4

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 13336

Exciting!! Great job! Thanks Shaun! party.gif

--------------------
~Susie

'Yesterday's the past and tomorrow's the future. Today is a gift - which is why they call it the present.'
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
peacefrog
post Jul 23 2007, 01:37 PM
Post #5

Pathfinder

Ok, I will start... devil.png

The pictures on the computer, and then in the uploader, are in a certain order.

Once uploaded, they are default sorted in reverse order...

Need to change that or maybe put a "reverse order" button in the SORT menu.

That's all for now. That tool is a blast!
Thanks

(Win XP, IE6)

--------------------

[ Hugo Pratt ]
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
post Jul 23 2007, 04:00 PM
Post #6

Group:
Member No.:

QUOTE(peacefrog @ Jul 23 2007, 02:37 PM) *

Ok, I will start... devil.png

The pictures on the computer, and then in the uploader, are in a certain order.

Once uploaded, they are default sorted in reverse order...

Need to change that or maybe put a "reverse order" button in the SORT menu.

That's all for now. That tool is a blast!
Thanks

(Win XP, IE6)

Thanks for the feedback peacefrog. The default sorting on upload currently ensures that more recently uploaded images are placed at the top of edit screen. A by-product of this is that images are in reverse order with regard to the upload screen, i.e. the last one on the upload screen is the most recently uploaded and thus the first in the edit screen. This is a current limitation of the system, but we'll put this on the todo list and I'll try and think of smarter way of doing this.

Cheers,
Shaun
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
post Jul 24 2007, 10:50 AM
Post #7

Group:
Member No.:

Hi peacefrog,

I've updated sorting so that it now puts your most recent uploads at the top of the edit page and in the order that you added them to the uploader. Hope this helps!

Regards,
Shaun
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
peacefrog
post Jul 24 2007, 10:58 AM
Post #8

Pathfinder

Shaun, just brilliant.
Do you guys ever sleep?

I've been using the uploader extensively yesterday, it works just great.

Don't know if that is normal, just warning the others: When I put quotation marks in a title or description, on saving changes everything after the first " is deleted.

--------------------

[ Hugo Pratt ]
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
post Jul 24 2007, 11:15 AM
Post #9

Group:
Member No.:

Hi peacefrog,

Glad you like the new sorting. I've fixed the quotation issue.

Cheers,
Shaun
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
cankiwi
post Jul 24 2007, 10:21 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 4258

Hi there,
Not sure what the problem is but I can't upload photos using the new uploader.

frantics.gif I'm going in circles trying.

Doreen
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
cankiwi
post Jul 24 2007, 10:58 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 4258

I've got it sorted! as they say in NZ.
Yippee this is heaps better!

Doreen flowers.png
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
post Jul 24 2007, 11:25 PM
Post #12

Group:
Member No.:

Doreen,

Great to hear it's working! Care to share what happened?

Regards,
Shaun
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
bangkokrandy
post Jul 25 2007, 01:16 AM
Post #13

Drifter

Member No.: 509

A huge leap forward - for the main reason that the new system allows photos to be uploaded in one go. This means, for example, that it is possible to set the picture uploading process in motion and then to work on one's blog while the uploading is being done in the background at the same time. In other words, the new system allows multi-tasking. With the old system of uploading pictures one by one, the uploading process required one's constant and undivided attention.

There is one question that I have, however: After I have finished uploading a batch of pictures, I am returned to the "Edit" page, which allows me to "Apply Changes". From this page, however, there is no obvious way to return directly to the entry on which I am working, which, at least to me, is the logical place to which I would like to return.

Otherwise, though, like I said, this new capability is a huge leap forward. Thanks.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
ScottWoz
post Jul 25 2007, 02:36 AM
Post #14

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 124

I'm not in a position to upload any photos, and I'm absolutely beside myself with excitement. Nice one guys, can't wait to check it out.. thumbsup.png

--------------------
Woz..

Living on a string of one-way tickets - currently kicking about in: southern Cambodia
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
henrik.caesar
post Jul 25 2007, 04:20 AM
Post #15

Wanderer

Member No.: 35268

I have been waiting for this for so long now and have loads of pictures I have been saving to upload, so thanks for the hard work guys!

But unfortunately I ran into some problems. First I uploaded two albums without any problems, but then on the third nothing happens when I select a photo and hit add. I had to quit the browser to get it to work again. Then I chose the pictures for the third and hit upload. The popup pops up and says it is uploading but when everything was ready the album was empty.

Haven't tried to re-upload them yet. I am using OS X and Safari 3 Beta.

A few suggestions:
If I rotate a picture the thumbnail in the lower window still shows the pic not rotated.

It is some effort to select a picture and the move the pointer to add, what about making it possible to add a picture by double clicking on it? I know you can select several pictures and then hit add as a workaround, but if I do like that and hit rotate on one pic the selection disappears. I know this seems really picky but it is just a suggestion to make good even better and more easy to use.

Well, that is all I can think of.

Thanks for the new uploader!

Edit: If you have : in the title of a photo the name disappears and is sorted last. The photo also got deleted and only the thumbnail is left, giving an error when wanting to view it. I don't know if this came from the naming or me changing the name and sorting it afterwards.

Also, when uploading several pictures I don't get the upload successful and get redirected. Instead the uploading window just disappears and it leaves me in the uploader. But when I re-uploaded only the photo I just talked about I get the upload successful and then I get redirected.

--------------------
Life is a ride, ride hard

Adventures in Australia 2006/2007
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
post Jul 25 2007, 10:41 AM
Post #16

Group:
Member No.:

Hi Henrik,

I have not tested on Safari Beta 3, some of the redirect and add issues may be a result of using a beta browser. I will test on this browser and attempt to resolve these problems for you.

A rotated view of thumbnails is currently not supported but should be available in a subsequent release of the uploader.

You should be able to add an image by dragging and dropping, however I'm not sure if Safari 3 Beta will do this properly. I will look into the double click feature.

Putting a ":" in the title should not cause the image to be deleted or alter it's sorting order. Deletion is only done when you select the delete check box.

Thanks for your feedback Henrik.

Regards,
Shaun
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
post Jul 25 2007, 10:53 AM
Post #17

Group:
Member No.:

QUOTE(bangkokrandy @ Jul 25 2007, 02:16 AM) *

A huge leap forward - for the main reason that the new system allows photos to be uploaded in one go. This means, for example, that it is possible to set the picture uploading process in motion and then to work on one's blog while the uploading is being done in the background at the same time. In other words, the new system allows multi-tasking. With the old system of uploading pictures one by one, the uploading process required one's constant and undivided attention.

There is one question that I have, however: After I have finished uploading a batch of pictures, I am returned to the "Edit" page, which allows me to "Apply Changes". From this page, however, there is no obvious way to return directly to the entry on which I am working, which, at least to me, is the logical place to which I would like to return.

Otherwise, though, like I said, this new capability is a huge leap forward. Thanks.

Thanks for the feedback Randy, I agree a link to edit the entry is need. I've added it in the "where are you?" line at the top.

Cheers,
Shaun
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
bangkokrandy
post Jul 25 2007, 11:01 AM
Post #18

Drifter

Member No.: 509

[/quote]

Thanks for the feedback Randy, I agree a link to edit the entry is need. I've added it in the "where are you?" line at the top.

Cheers,
Shaun
[/quote]

Great, Shaun - that solves it. Thanks.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
tsargood
post Jul 26 2007, 01:16 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 36520

Excellent ! Now when the connection drops out (as it does alot in some countires) , the already uploaded pics are kept, rather than losing the lot with the old version. It also seems to be much faster!? I also like how the video icons now have a picture instead of the player icon, its all good! cheers guys !!!
gora.gif
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
post Jul 26 2007, 01:23 PM
Post #20

Group:
Member No.:

Awesome, good to hear!

Cheers,
Shaun
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

5 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st August 2014 - 05:29 PM
Top Hotel Destinations

Acapulco Hotels
Atlanta Hotels
Austin Hotels
Beijing Hotels
Cancun Hotels
Charlotte Hotels
Chicago Hotels
Dallas Hotels
Denver Hotels
Honolulu Hotels
Houston Hotels
Indianapolis Hotels
Kissimmee Hotels
Las Vegas Hotels
London Hotels
Los Angeles Hotels
Mexico City Hotels
Miami Hotels
Miami Beach Hotels
Montreal Hotels
Myrtle Beach Hotels
Nashville Hotels
Negril Hotels
New Orleans Hotels
New York City Hotels
Orlando Hotels
Paris Hotels
Phoenix Hotels
Playa del Carmen Hotels
Puerto Plata Hotels
Puerto Vallarta Hotels
Punta Cana Hotels
Rome Hotels
San Antonio Hotels
San Diego Hotels
San Francisco Hotels
Seattle Hotels
Tampa Hotels
Toronto Hotels
Washington DC Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.