Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Hostel film /Slovakia, share your opinion
pasomnica
post Jan 20 2008, 02:35 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 129197

Hi all!
Please help me with my research (if you can): My name is Martina and I am a tourism student in my final year, writing a dissertation about the film tourism, specifically IF or TO WHAT EXTENT the Hostel film influenced travelling to Slovakia (my home country) as a tourism destination. I would like to ask all of you who have seen the movie, to write a few words, whether/how it shaped the picture of Slovakia you had in your mind before seeing the film (if any), whether it put you off or opposite, made you want to go there.., perhaps made you aware of the country (it is often being confused with Slovenia) etc. I'd really appreciate if you could participate in my project by replying to this message. MANY THANKS TO THOSE WHO WILL!
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
dave_dc
post Jan 21 2008, 02:22 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 129704

QUOTE(pasomnica @ Jan 20 2008, 02:35 PM) *

Hi all!
Please help me with my research (if you can): My name is Martina and I am a tourism student in my final year, writing a dissertation about the film tourism, specifically IF or TO WHAT EXTENT the Hostel film influenced travelling to Slovakia (my home country) as a tourism destination. I would like to ask all of you who have seen the movie, to write a few words, whether/how it shaped the picture of Slovakia you had in your mind before seeing the film (if any), whether it put you off or opposite, made you want to go there.., perhaps made you aware of the country (it is often being confused with Slovenia) etc. I'd really appreciate if you could participate in my project by replying to this message. MANY THANKS TO THOSE WHO WILL!

Hi Martina,

I watched Hostel for the first time last night and don't understand what all the controversy is about... (or "was" about? it's a couple years old, I know.).

Unless they're just trying to be obnoxious -- or are really, REALLY stupid -- it's impossible to take the film's portrayal of Slovakia as realistic. It's not even a good horror flick. The characters are as one-dimensional and boring as the plot, i.e., dumb & horny U.S. frat boys + dumb & slutty Eastern European girls.

Well, to tell you the truth, maybe "dumb & horny U.S. frat boys" is a pretty accurate description.

I've been all over Europe, but never to Slovakia. If anything, a lot of people who never even heard of the country will put it on their itinerary now, which could be a good or bad thing, depending on your perspective.

But anyone who says they're NOT going because they're afraid of marauding gangs of six year-olds (who kill for, uh, bubble-gum?!) and gruesome torture dungeons, would never go anyway. They have no interest in ever leaving the U.S.

My bet is that the movie will boost tourism. A lot. Especially if Slovakian chicks are as hot as the ones in the movie!

-Dave
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
wakingdream
post Jan 21 2008, 03:12 PM
Post #3

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 13336

Hi there,

I've seen the movie as well and would say it had absolutely no affect on how I view Slovakia. At all. Just another horror flick....

--------------------
~Susie

'Yesterday's the past and tomorrow's the future. Today is a gift - which is why they call it the present.'
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
teknomaniach
post Mar 20 2008, 02:26 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 156942

Hi Martina,

I came to this forum as I watched the film now and searching if the story at the film is true or not. The information about the film that I got is that: the story is true for thailand.

But I tensed up while watching the film and now; so that I hope I will not be in Slovakia or Thailand.

Sorry my human feelings as Slovaki is your country. And I know my opinions come you as silly because my country: Turkey is seen as an Arabian country from Europe. (This comes silly for me too)
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
introducinlyric
post Mar 20 2008, 08:41 PM
Post #5

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 56605

it has no affect on how i view slovakia especiailly since a good friend of mine travelled extensively throughtout eastern europe and loved every minute of it and her photos are beautiful

--------------------
Do You Want The Truth or Something Beautiful?
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th July 2014 - 06:59 AM
Top Hotel Destinations

Acapulco Hotels
Atlanta Hotels
Austin Hotels
Beijing Hotels
Cancun Hotels
Charlotte Hotels
Chicago Hotels
Dallas Hotels
Denver Hotels
Honolulu Hotels
Houston Hotels
Indianapolis Hotels
Kissimmee Hotels
Las Vegas Hotels
London Hotels
Los Angeles Hotels
Mexico City Hotels
Miami Hotels
Miami Beach Hotels
Montreal Hotels
Myrtle Beach Hotels
Nashville Hotels
Negril Hotels
New Orleans Hotels
New York City Hotels
Orlando Hotels
Paris Hotels
Phoenix Hotels
Playa del Carmen Hotels
Puerto Plata Hotels
Puerto Vallarta Hotels
Punta Cana Hotels
Rome Hotels
San Antonio Hotels
San Diego Hotels
San Francisco Hotels
Seattle Hotels
Tampa Hotels
Toronto Hotels
Washington DC Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.