Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Northern Thailand recommendations?
treesy
post Jan 28 2010, 08:19 AM
Post #1

Drifter

Group: Members
Member No.: 266583

Hi there,
Heading to Northern Thailand end of March and would love to hear from anyone who can recommend anywhere to head to that is a little off the beaten track. Travelling with my young son, and will prob at some point take in the tiger temple & elephant park, but would love to get some idea of best way to access tribal areas that are not too packaged and craft selling orientated. ie independent homestays or recommended villages/guides etc
Thankyou, Trees
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Paul
post Jan 29 2010, 06:23 AM
Post #2

Navigator

Member No.: 98

Hi Treesy,

I will try to remember to come back to this thread and write more options for you, but the first one that comes to mind:

If you get yourself to Mirror Art Guest House in Chiang Rai (http://mirrorartgroup.org/guesthouse/index.php)

and talk to the receptionist there called Yupa.

Yupa is Lahu but lives in a Karen village with her husband and kids, about 15km out of town. (Lahu and Karen are the names of two ethnic minority groups)
Her village doesn't get tourists, it is just a very normal village. Her house isn't fancy - just normal for the area - but her English is OK and she is interested in starting to have home stay guests.

So it is an option that is an independent home stay and not the packaged version. There is some nice views from a little walk past her village.

Also Chiang Rai is a much quieter, more normal town than Chiang Mai and much nicer in my opinion.

Hope that helps
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
treesy
post Jan 29 2010, 06:41 AM
Post #3

Drifter

Hi thanks guys, thats the kind of information I was hoping for!!
Thanks Paul, be really grateful for any other info you remember, Trees
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
travelmonster
post Jan 29 2010, 11:12 AM
Post #4

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 101826

I'm interested in hearing more as well Paul. I'll be up that neck of the woods for a few weeks probably about this time next year. flowers.png

--------------------
In Search Of ...........

"Begin doing what you want to do now. We are not living in eternity. We have only this moment sparkling like a star in our hand -- and melting like a snowflake" - Marie Beynon Ray
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
darrenstravels
post Jan 29 2010, 12:27 PM
Post #5

Tourist

Member No.: 167016

I'll be in that neck of the woods at about the same time as Treesy, so cheers for that info Paul, sounds just up our street!

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Paul
post Jan 29 2010, 11:49 PM
Post #6

Navigator

I am pleasantly surprised by all the feedback - I do have more to add. But lots to do right now, including going and meeting some Shan State Army soldiers - so I will add more here later.

:-)
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Paul
post Feb 16 2010, 06:46 AM
Post #7

Navigator

I'm back as I said I would be, but I can't remember all the things I was thinking of suggesting....

Hmmm, here are some ideas anyway:

If you are passing through Chiang Mai - maybe check out Monk Chat (http://www.monkchat.net/)

I think Mae Hong Son town is well worth a visit - a very quiet, relaxed, safe town and very influenced by Shan culture.

In Fang it is worth checking out http://www.bloodfoundation.org/ for volunteering.

Or get the boat from Thaton to Chiang Rai - I think it is about a 4 hour trip. Nice.

Maybe plan to stay at My Dream Guest House - http://www.mydreamguesthouse.com/html/guesthouse.html
It is quite out of the way / out of town - so maybe a little inconvenient. But located next to a Karen village (Baan Kwae Wa Dum) that doesn't get many tourists.

Another guest house in Chiang Rai is Mirror Art Guest House http://mirrorartgroup.org/guesthouse/index.php
This one is in town and is connected to the Thai NGO Mirror Foundation
http://www.mirrorartgroup.org/

Other thoughts - maybe travel to Nan - off the beaten track, and a bit of a journey, but if you want to get into a place away from the tourists and a bit more traditional - it could be a good choice.

Or closer to Chiang Mai but still not necessarily overrun with tourists - Chiang Dao.

Hmmm - I have gone off track from your original question a bit, but I'm having a mental blank, so I'll leave it there for now and maybe come back again with some ideas.

Oh - before I go - Pangmapha is quite nice too. A friend of mine is probably there doing some gibbon research - he is a bit hard to contact, but if you want to see gibbons in the wild or visit the villages in that area you could try to find him.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Paul
post Feb 16 2010, 06:50 AM
Post #8

Navigator

Actually, before I sign out - I would also recommend going to Tachilek in Myanmar.

If you are friendly, you'll meet plenty of people there that are happy to chat with you. And I suspect if you go further up the road to Keng Tung, you will be able to get into some interesting villages.

Is it dangerous in Myanmar? In that particular area, from what I have seen, I would have to say no, it was actually very friendly.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Paul
post Feb 16 2010, 06:52 AM
Post #9

Navigator

Oh, and one more idea - my friend Daow, who is Akha is in-between jobs right now. She is very nice, has a guide license, speaks English and her dad happens to be the spirit leader of his village - so maybe you guys could meet up with her.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
lunthom
post Feb 18 2010, 08:26 PM
Post #10

Nomad

Member No.: 103052

yes, I agreed with Paul the mirror foundation is the good place for you.

I had ever a valunteer to teach the hill tribe children in Lahu village ,Chiangrai.

http://www.hilltribetour.com/english/index-eng.php
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
treesy
post Feb 19 2010, 12:30 PM
Post #11

Drifter

Thanks so much to you all, especially you Paul, that info is a complete jewel of info,
Trees
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
travelmonster
post Feb 20 2010, 04:18 AM
Post #12

Rolling Stone

Member No.: 101826

Thanks for the info Paul, really helpful - I've noted it for my trip flowers.png

--------------------
In Search Of ...........

"Begin doing what you want to do now. We are not living in eternity. We have only this moment sparkling like a star in our hand -- and melting like a snowflake" - Marie Beynon Ray
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
k8ttie
post Jun 30 2010, 08:59 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 1056911

Wow! Thanks for all the tips! Got them all down jump.gif
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
debbie_los
post Dec 12 2011, 05:12 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 2444333

Hi thanks for all this great advice as well. Will be in north around end of February so hope to go to all areas mentioned.
cheers and regards!!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
alffredangelo
post Dec 23 2011, 05:30 PM
Post #15

Drifter

Member No.: 2389033

QUOTE(debbie_los @ Dec 12 2011, 05:12 AM) *

Hi thanks for all this great advice as well. Will be in north around end of February so hope to go to all areas mentioned.
cheers and regards!!

have fun there flowers.png
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
jackiectheworld
post Feb 12 2012, 06:09 AM
Post #16

Member No.: 2596593

The Home Place Hotel Chiang Mai is AWFUL. The shower water was dirty looking, so I couldn't wash off. The water had a metallic, contaminated smell. The same tan, disgusting water came out of the water faucet, so I didn't feel comfortable using it to wash my face or brush my teeth.

Do you like being chewed on by BED BUGS? I counted 18 bed bug bites from
just the ONE horrible night that I stayed at the Home Place Hotel in
Chiang Mai -- terrible.

The staff were really rude, which didn't help at all. They seemed to enjoy NOT helping!

I would highly recommend not staying at the Home Place Hotel.
ranting2.gif
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st August 2014 - 08:17 AM
Top Hotel Destinations in Thailand

Ayutthaya Hotels
Bangkok Hotels
Cha-am Hotels
Chaweng Hotels
Chiang Mai Hotels
Chiang Rai Hotels
Chon Buri Hotels
Hat Yai Hotels
Hua Hin Hotels
Kanchanaburi Hotels
Kathu Hotels
Khao Lak Hotels
Khon Kaen Hotels
Ko Lanta Hotels
Ko Phangan Hotels
Ko Phi Phi Don Hotels
Ko Tao Hotels
Krabi Hotels
Lampang Hotels
Loei Hotels
Mae Hong Son Hotels
Nakorn Ratchasima Hotels
Nakorn Si Thammarat Hotels
Narathiwat Hotels
Nonthaburi Hotels
Pai Hotels
Patong Hotels
Pattaya Hotels
Phangnga Hotels
Phetchaburi Hotels
Phitsanulok Hotels
Rawai Hotels
Rayong Hotels
Songkhla Hotels
Sukhothai Hotels
Surat Thani Hotels
Tak Hotels
Trang Hotels
Trat Hotels
Udon Thani Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.