Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Lake Tekapo and Fox/Franz Glacier - Fox Glacier to Lake Tekapo travel question
amitgilani
post Nov 12 2011, 11:16 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2386783
Nominate me as a Local Expert

Hello,

My wife and I would be arriving at Lake Tekapo from Christchurch by lunch time on Dec 3rd.

Initially we planned to spend 2 nights at Lake Tekapo and do an air safari over Mt. Cook from Lake Tekapo, then drive down to Queenstown for 4 nights.

After that we would drive to Wanaka - spend one night there and drive 5 Hrs to Fox Glacier the next morning

Finally we would drive another 5 hrs the following day to Christchurch for our flight back home

I was debating if we should just cut out Wanaka and Fox glacier completely, spend more time in Lake Tekapo/Mt cook area and then just fly from Queenstown to Christchurch and connect to our flight home.

I definately want to see a glacier but on checking with Air Safari scenic flight from Tekapo, it seems they do fly over Mt Cook and some glacier as well

I am a bit confused whether it makes sense to drive all the way from Queenstown to Fox via wanaka just to see the glacier?

Am I gonna be missing out on something unique and different if I skip Wanka and Fox Glacier?

Looking forward to your suggestions
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
nztravelguide
post Dec 11 2011, 09:06 PM
Post #2

Pathfinder

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 72601

Due to your time contraints I would pass on the drive back up the West Coast and just stay in the Queenstown area. Maybe a bus tour to the fiords would be in your agenda. Wanaka is but an hour away from Queenstown by the way.

While you are in the Mackenzie Country you can go to the Hooker glacier up the Mt Cook road and even better take a boat ride on the glacial lake with icebergs in it.............magic!
Glacier Rxplorers

=========================================================

QUOTE(amitgilani @ Nov 12 2011, 11:16 AM) *

Hello,
My wife and I would be arriving at Lake Tekapo from Christchurch by lunch time on Dec 3rd.
Initially we planned to spend 2 nights at Lake Tekapo and do an air safari over Mt. Cook from Lake Tekapo, then drive down to Queenstown for 4 nights.
After that we would drive to Wanaka - spend one night there and drive 5 Hrs to Fox Glacier the next morning
Finally we would drive another 5 hrs the following day to Christchurch for our flight back home
I was debating if we should just cut out Wanaka and Fox glacier completely, spend more time in Lake Tekapo/Mt cook area and then just fly from Queenstown to Christchurch and connect to our flight home.
I definately want to see a glacier but on checking with Air Safari scenic flight from Tekapo, it seems they do fly over Mt Cook and some glacier as well
I am a bit confused whether it makes sense to drive all the way from Queenstown to Fox via wanaka just to see the glacier?
Am I gonna be missing out on something unique and different if I skip Wanka and Fox Glacier?
Looking forward to your suggestions

User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st August 2014 - 06:44 PM
Top Hotel Destinations in New Zealand

Akaroa Hotels
Arrowtown Hotels
Auckland Hotels
Blenheim Hotels
Christchurch Hotels
Coromandel Hotels
Dunedin Hotels
Fox Glacier Hotels
Franz Josef Hotels
Gisborne Hotels
Greymouth Hotels
Hamilton Hotels
Hanmer Springs Hotels
Hastings Hotels
Hokitika Hotels
Invercargill Hotels
Kaikoura Hotels
Kerikeri Hotels
Lake Tekapo Hotels
Mangere Hotels
Napier Hotels
Nelson Hotels
New Plymouth Hotels
Oamaru Hotels
Paihia Hotels
Palmerston North Hotels
Picton Hotels
Queenstown Hotels
Rotorua Hotels
Russell Hotels
Taupo Hotels
Tauranga Hotels
Te Anau Hotels
Timaru Hotels
Waiheke Island Hotels
Wanaka Hotels
Wanganui Hotels
Wellington Hotels
Whangarei Hotels
Whitianga Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.