Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Granada, Valencia, Tarragona and Barcelona, on the search for people
maysun
post Jan 3 2009, 11:55 PM
Post #1

Drifter

Group: Members
Member No.: 265814

From the 21th of January until the 27th of February I'll be on my own travelling through Spain, starting off in Malaga for 2,5 weeks, then Granada for 6 days, and then probably along the coastline towards Barcelona.

The thing is these cities are unknown to me. Now my ex profesor lives in Málaga and he'll show me around there but for the other cities I don't know anyone and I would highly appreciate it if someone could take me on a tour one day (or more or less, como prefieres). Just showing me around some things, like maybe a good tapas restaurant, or a good beach, or the faculty of psychology (since the whole idea is to see where I want to go study this september), the shopping centre or an important site or monument, whatever.
For instance I don't see myself climbing up the sierra nevada on my own, especially not with my horrible sense of orientacion.
I am especially looking for someone from Granada, but also the other cities.

Also, if you visites one of these cities, and you have any suggestions on what is absolutely worth a visit and what not, tell me.
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
wakingdream
post Jan 4 2009, 02:04 PM
Post #2

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 13336

Hey Maysun,

Studying in Spain? Sounds really great!

I've only been to Barcelona and absolutely loved it! The architecture alone is incredible. The food, the nightlife, the markets, the cafes.....I would go back in a heartbeat and see more of the country.

My top three must-sees in Barca are La Boqueria market where we shopped for all our groceries and had a great time just perusing the aisles, definitely La Sagrada Familia and the other Gaudi attractions, like Parc Guell and Casa Batllo, throughout the city (they are pretty amazing)! My absolute top favourite, which you'll love if you like art museums, was National Art Museum of Catalonia. The art inside is magnificent and that's an understatement! We also saw a football match at Nou Camp, which was also quite an experience.

Barcelona is such a great city and a great place to just wander around and check things out. I wouldn't worry much about being alone. Just grab a map and hit the streets.

I'm sure you have many attractions in mind in the cities you're going to visit but check out some links to some of the attractions you might not want to miss;

Things To Do In Barcelona

Things To Do In Granada

Things To Do In Valencia

Things To Do In Tarragona

The thing I like about Tripadvisor is that each attraction usually has a number of reviews from people who have visited. So if you don't get any feedback from other travelers you can sort of get an idea if a place or attraction is really worth seeing or not according to other tourists. That's not to say that sometimes you just have to ignore a bad review and check it out yourself yes.gif

--------------------
~Susie

'Yesterday's the past and tomorrow's the future. Today is a gift - which is why they call it the present.'
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
maysun
post Jan 4 2009, 03:42 PM
Post #3

Drifter

Group: Members
Member No.: 265814

QUOTE(wakingdream @ Jan 4 2009, 02:04 PM) *

Hey Maysun,

Studying in Spain? Sounds really great!

I've only been to Barcelona and absolutely loved it! The architecture alone is incredible. The food, the nightlife, the markets, the cafes.....I would go back in a heartbeat and see more of the country.

My top three must-sees in Barca are La Boqueria market where we shopped for all our groceries and had a great time just perusing the aisles, definitely La Sagrada Familia and the other Gaudi attractions, like Parc Guell and Casa Batllo, throughout the city (they are pretty amazing)! My absolute top favourite, which you'll love if you like art museums, was National Art Museum of Catalonia. The art inside is magnificent and that's an understatement! We also saw a football match at Nou Camp, which was also quite an experience.

Barcelona is such a great city and a great place to just wander around and check things out. I wouldn't worry much about being alone. Just grab a map and hit the streets.

I'm sure you have many attractions in mind in the cities you're going to visit but check out some links to some of the attractions you might not want to miss;

Things To Do In Barcelona

Things To Do In Granada

Things To Do In Valencia

Things To Do In Tarragona

The thing I like about Tripadvisor is that each attraction usually has a number of reviews from people who have visited. So if you don't get any feedback from other travelers you can sort of get an idea if a place or attraction is really worth seeing or not according to other tourists. That's not to say that sometimes you just have to ignore a bad review and check it out yourself yes.gif

Thank your the the extensive response and links. I'll check them out!
air_kiss.gif
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
travelmonster
post Jan 4 2009, 03:49 PM
Post #4

Rolling Stone

Member No.: 101826

Barcelona is excellent - all great things that Susie recommends - I love La Boqueria market (sometimes called Mercat de Sant Josep), you'll find it by walking down La Rambla, which is worth a stroll - there's always something going on down there; you can usually watch artists painting and there are various street acts - musicians, jugglers, human statues etc. La Boqueria market itself isn't far from the metro stop Liceu.

The cathedral in the medieval district (Barri Gotic) is also worth a look.

Tarragona is a great place to visit, the cathedral there is worth a look too, they also have a roman amphitheatre. Reus is not far from Tarragona and thats also quite an interesting place to have nose round if you are in that area.

--------------------
In Search Of ...........

"Begin doing what you want to do now. We are not living in eternity. We have only this moment sparkling like a star in our hand -- and melting like a snowflake" - Marie Beynon Ray
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
wakingdream
post Jan 4 2009, 04:26 PM
Post #5

Rolling Stone

Member No.: 13336

[/quote]The cathedral in the medieval district (Barri Gotic) is also worth a look.[quote]

Oh yeah! Don't miss a walk around there. We took a stroll around there on Christmas day and I'll never forget it. The atmosphere was incredible smile.gif

--------------------
~Susie

'Yesterday's the past and tomorrow's the future. Today is a gift - which is why they call it the present.'
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st August 2014 - 06:21 AM
Top Hotel Destinations

Acapulco Hotels
Atlanta Hotels
Austin Hotels
Beijing Hotels
Cancun Hotels
Charlotte Hotels
Chicago Hotels
Dallas Hotels
Denver Hotels
Honolulu Hotels
Houston Hotels
Indianapolis Hotels
Kissimmee Hotels
Las Vegas Hotels
London Hotels
Los Angeles Hotels
Mexico City Hotels
Miami Hotels
Miami Beach Hotels
Montreal Hotels
Myrtle Beach Hotels
Nashville Hotels
Negril Hotels
New Orleans Hotels
New York City Hotels
Orlando Hotels
Paris Hotels
Phoenix Hotels
Playa del Carmen Hotels
Puerto Plata Hotels
Puerto Vallarta Hotels
Punta Cana Hotels
Rome Hotels
San Antonio Hotels
San Diego Hotels
San Francisco Hotels
Seattle Hotels
Tampa Hotels
Toronto Hotels
Washington DC Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.