Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Travel to Budapest, one week in budapest
hilu75
post May 10 2009, 06:18 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 278285

hiii everyone ...my name is Firas

I will go to Budapest in a business trip in june, I am planning to go somewhere around after finishing my Job like Italy or France, or where ever ,i have 4 days extra..It's my first time in Budapest, any suggestion where to go and how?

appreciate your help
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
wakingdream
post May 10 2009, 09:35 AM
Post #2

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 13336

Hi Hilu,

Welcome to Travelpod! smile.gif

That's great that you'll have a little extra time, Budapest is a fantastic city with so much to do and see! I've been a few times. My parents are Hungarian......

Ofcourse food is a major highlight and a very important part of Hungarian culture. You'll eat until you (almost) explode! That's the way over there! be adventurous and try a variety of dishes.

You have got to try out one of the thermal baths. That is one of the top things to experience while there. Széchenyi is a great one.

A walk around Nagy Vasarcsarnok, the main market, is quite an experience too if you enjoy that kind of thing.

Don't miss the beautiful Castle District. You can walk around and explore for at least a half day. There you'll get a great view of the Buda Hills.

Heroes' Square; here you'll find both the National Art Gallery and the Museum of Fine Art. This area gets really busy but I'd highly recommend a look. It's also near City Park where you can take a nice walk around. There's not a huge amount to see here really but it's a nice place to collect your thoughts in an otherwise extremely busy city.

I would also highly recommend getting out of the city to Szentendre, a beautiful, historical town only 20 mns away by train (HEV train). It sits directly on the banks of the Danube. There, on the Buda side, it's all cobbled stone and lovely architecture, very scenic. There are many historic sights here and b/c it's small, pretty much everythying is in walking distance.

I don't want to overload you here ( I know I am!). Check out this link to Things To Do In Budapest. You'll have no problem filling up your four days and you might even wish you had more time!

--------------------
~Susie

'Yesterday's the past and tomorrow's the future. Today is a gift - which is why they call it the present.'
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
kitkatgo
post May 10 2009, 04:14 PM
Post #3

Navigator

Member No.: 13816

You're a wealth of knowledge Susie!

We're going to Budapest for Christmas, so I'll take a look at that link.

Thanks!

--------------------
~Kit
California Local Expert

Visit my travel blogs:
http://www.travelpod.com/members/kitkatgo
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
wakingdream
post May 11 2009, 06:50 AM
Post #4

Rolling Stone

QUOTE(kitkatgo @ May 10 2009, 05:14 PM) *

You're a wealth of knowledge Susie!

We're going to Budapest for Christmas, so I'll take a look at that link.

Thanks!

Awesome! I love it there. It's such a beautiful city. Always glad to help if I can. smile.gif

--------------------
~Susie

'Yesterday's the past and tomorrow's the future. Today is a gift - which is why they call it the present.'
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
hilu75
post May 11 2009, 10:03 AM
Post #5

QUOTE(wakingdream @ May 10 2009, 09:35 AM) *

Hi Hilu,

Welcome to Travelpod! smile.gif

That's great that you'll have a little extra time, Budapest is a fantastic city with so much to do and see! I've been a few times. My parents are Hungarian......

Ofcourse food is a major highlight and a very important part of Hungarian culture. You'll eat until you (almost) explode! That's the way over there! be adventurous and try a variety of dishes.

You have got to try out one of the thermal baths. That is one of the top things to experience while there. Széchenyi is a great one.

A walk around Nagy Vasarcsarnok, the main market, is quite an experience too if you enjoy that kind of thing.

Don't miss the beautiful Castle District. You can walk around and explore for at least a half day. There you'll get a great view of the Buda Hills.

Heroes' Square; here you'll find both the National Art Gallery and the Museum of Fine Art. This area gets really busy but I'd highly recommend a look. It's also near City Park where you can take a nice walk around. There's not a huge amount to see here really but it's a nice place to collect your thoughts in an otherwise extremely busy city.

I would also highly recommend getting out of the city to Szentendre, a beautiful, historical town only 20 mns away by train (HEV train). It sits directly on the banks of the Danube. There, on the Buda side, it's all cobbled stone and lovely architecture, very scenic. There are many historic sights here and b/c it's small, pretty much everythying is in walking distance.

I don't want to overload you here ( I know I am!). Check out this link to Things To Do In Budapest. You'll have no problem filling up your four days and you might even wish you had more time!

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
hilu75
post May 11 2009, 10:09 AM
Post #6

HI suize..thanks really for amazing information, u made me really longing to visit Budapest, I hope u are there that time so u can company me to those nice places angel1.gif . but do you think it's not enough to stay in Budapest during the first 5 business days, then the other 4 days visit other places like Italy or whatever around?
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
wakingdream
post May 11 2009, 01:18 PM
Post #7

Rolling Stone

QUOTE(hilu75 @ May 11 2009, 11:09 AM) *

HI suize..thanks really for amazing information, u made me really longing to visit Budapest, I hope u are there that time so u can company me to those nice places angel1.gif . but do you think it's not enough to stay in Budapest during the first 5 business days, then the other 4 days visit other places like Italy or whatever around?

Well, I won't be around b/c we live in Canada smile.gif but I'm sure you'll have a great time anyway!

Well, if you really want to get out of the country then you should but four days doesn't leave you too much time to travel. Italy is kind of far.....Personally I would take a few day trips outside of Budapest but stay in Hungary. Take a look at this; Day Trips From Budapest.

There are many really nice places to visit within the region. I did mention Szentendre but there is also Esztergom, and the wine growing region of Lake Balaton (which is busy but really beautiful), and Visegrád. Or you could head south toward Szeged or Pecs but you'll have a little more travel time to contend with.

--------------------
~Susie

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
hilu75
post May 14 2009, 03:33 PM
Post #8

thanks suzi...I will go through the link you suggested, also i am thinking to take with your idea and have some internal trips in Hanugry smile.gif

but i still didn't find the travelmate ...I can't enjoy alone wink.gif

I am from canada too, I used to be in Ottawa.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
wakingdream
post May 14 2009, 04:13 PM
Post #9

Rolling Stone

but i still didn't find the travelmate ...I can't enjoy alone

Sure you can. Plus, you'll meet people over there too. Better to go alone than with a stranger....

--------------------
~Susie

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
hilu75
post May 15 2009, 12:35 PM
Post #10

i will try to enjoy, but after finishing my job there smile.gif
do you have MSN to add you there? if you don't mind.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
wakingdream
post May 15 2009, 09:18 PM
Post #11

Rolling Stone

nope, sorry, I don't use MSN anymore.

--------------------
~Susie

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
wisconsin_fan81
post May 17 2009, 10:11 AM
Post #12

Globetrotter

Member No.: 273696

You have 4 days? Definitely check out the operahouse, and the Müvész Kávéház directly across the street...they have excellent pastries and coffee. The restaurant Abzint right next to the opera house is also excellent for a pre-opera dinner (and namesake drink). Also the National Museum is quite interesting...learned a lot about WWII-era Hungary I did not know. Make your way up to the Castle Hill area as well, there is a lot to do. Check out Mathias Church (may still be under renovation, but the inside is still open), it is absolutely gorgeous! Enjoy, you will have a great time!

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
christy3
post Aug 20 2010, 04:45 PM
Post #13

Wanderer

Member No.: 1243911

I did some research on Hungary and Budapest. It is considered one of Europe's most beautiful cities and popular tourist locations. I would love to visit! How was your trip?

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th August 2014 - 08:47 AM
Top Hotel Destinations

Acapulco Hotels
Atlanta Hotels
Austin Hotels
Beijing Hotels
Cancun Hotels
Charlotte Hotels
Chicago Hotels
Dallas Hotels
Denver Hotels
Honolulu Hotels
Houston Hotels
Indianapolis Hotels
Kissimmee Hotels
Las Vegas Hotels
London Hotels
Los Angeles Hotels
Mexico City Hotels
Miami Hotels
Miami Beach Hotels
Montreal Hotels
Myrtle Beach Hotels
Nashville Hotels
Negril Hotels
New Orleans Hotels
New York City Hotels
Orlando Hotels
Paris Hotels
Phoenix Hotels
Playa del Carmen Hotels
Puerto Plata Hotels
Puerto Vallarta Hotels
Punta Cana Hotels
Rome Hotels
San Antonio Hotels
San Diego Hotels
San Francisco Hotels
Seattle Hotels
Tampa Hotels
Toronto Hotels
Washington DC Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.