Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Driving from Sao Paulo, Brazil to Arizona, USA
dbrandolizi
post Sep 21 2010, 10:07 AM
Post #1

Wanderer

Group: Members
Member No.: 294879
Nominate me as a Local Expert

Hi everyone. I completed my journey from Canada to Argentina on a Toyota Tacoma Truck.
Well I drove back to Brazil with a intention of selling my truck. I found out that was impossible. So now I am driving back to US. My trip will start in Sao Paulo, Brazil crossing west to Mato Grosso do Sul (Pantanal). From there enter Bolivia and drive west to Santa Cruz de la Sierra.
From Santa Cruz to Cochabamba, Salar de Uyuni, La Paz, Copacabana and across to Peru>
In Peru: Puno, Cuzco, Machu Pichu, Nasca, Lima, Huaraz and Caraz (Cordillera Blanca).
To finish Peru a stop at Mancora Beach. Across to Ecuador: Banos, Cuenca, Quito, Otavalo.
Across to Colombia. From there I'll be shipping my truck to Colon, Panama. We will need to fly from Cartagena, Colombia to Panama City, Panama. From Panama we will travel to Bahia del Toros and cross to Costa Rica. Nicaragua will be next country. Lots of place to see there. Honduras to El Salvador to Guatemala. Across the border to Mexico and finally USA. COST?
Well I'll be paying the majority any way but for food and some lodging plus airplane ticket and lets say $ 800.00 dollars worth in gasoline (believe me it is nothing). My calculation gas will cost me around $3,500.00 plus I'm paying $ 1,2000.00 to ship my truck to Panama. Time traveling: I'm planning start December 10, 2010 and arrive in US last week in February 2011.
I'm also planning to travel inside US and Canada all way up to Alaska. Let me know.
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
pkennedy
post Sep 22 2010, 09:19 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 1227411

Since you couldn't sell your Truck in Brazil, wouldn't it make sense to try another country around there?

Where are you shipping your truck to, once you reach Panama? And what method is it being shipped?

Wouldn't it make sense to sell it at that point possibly? Buy a used one in the US?

Sounds like a fantastic trip! Something I've always wanted to do, but my wife just considers it too complex and dangerous crying_anim02.gif

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
dbrandolizi
post Sep 22 2010, 09:35 PM
Post #3

Wanderer

Hi
Like I said I drove all countries from Canada to Argentina. As far as my dream trip I completed. When you cross any country in South America or Central America (with the exception of Brazil where you sign a paper saying you will take the truck out of the country or you will pay 3 times of the truck value as penalty) you get a stamp on your passport as a visa but also the attached a paper with a visa for your truck. When you leave the country you need to give that paper work back otherwise they will confiscate your truck. So I have no option. I can ship from Ecuador or Colombia to Panama.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
pkennedy
post Sep 22 2010, 10:29 PM
Post #4

But if you had wanted to sell the truck, wouldn't it have been alright to sell it in one of the other many countries out there? Brazil really does get upset over importing vehicles.

Sounds like a lot of fun though, that would be a great trip to take. I wanted to do something similar in Brazil at some point! So are you planning a second trip now?
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
dbrandolizi
post Sep 22 2010, 11:31 PM
Post #5

Wanderer

You can not sell any type of auto that has a foreigner license. Once you entry a country they
link your visa to the car. so when you leave the country they ask for the car. I could leave and don't get my OUT stamp on my passport. But that will get me in trouble if I would like to come back to that country. So driving back is a better solution for now and I'll have a chance to visit different towns I did not see on my way down.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
dbrandolizi
post Sep 22 2010, 11:32 PM
Post #6

Wanderer

I'll be leaving in December around the 10th. I mind do a trip to North Brazil before I leave the country.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
pkennedy
post Sep 22 2010, 11:58 PM
Post #7

Ah, I meant sell the car in another country. Argentina, Peru, or any of the smaller northern countries you would pass through on your way north. When you sell it, fly back home! It seems like it would be a lot cheaper than flying + shuffling the car back.

Well it sounds like an amazing trip regardless! And the costs seem pretty low as well, so it's obviously fairly easy on the pocket book!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
dbrandolizi
post Sep 23 2010, 12:19 AM
Post #8

Wanderer

Again you can not sell your car in Argentina or Chile or Peru or any other country. They stamp on your passport the car information so when you try to fly out of any of those country they stop you and ask where is your car. Trust me I know that. I was born in Brazil and travel 5 times around South America on car, motorcycles, hiking flying. They make that difficult to anyone.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
dbrandolizi
post Sep 26 2010, 11:38 PM
Post #9

Wanderer

Another thing you mention: Why not fly back cause is cheaper. I do agree with you on that but where is the fun. When I started my trip last year the last thing that cross my mind was how much this trip will cost me. Believe: cost a lot of money but what I spent for the past year worth every penny. Places I saw and all the people I met, food, culture I have seen all and now I have a chance to see all again. How much fun is that. That's why I want to have someone to enjoy the same as myself. Another thing you mention about been dangerous.
Dangerous is allover the planet. I lived in Brazil for 28 years and never got robbed. 4 years in Tucson, AZ my house got broke in 4 times. My truck stole once and they also stole my jet-ski and a quad. But please don't take me wrong. I love Tucson and I'm coming back there. It is just whatever place you go you need to use common sense. Also don't believe everything you listen on TV. Believe me. Those Countries in South America has a lot to offer. Try it!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
pkennedy
post Sep 27 2010, 12:20 PM
Post #10

I still might be confused on your exact trip details. I thought you could buy/sell used cars in other countries outside of Brazil! Hence why I suggested it, good to know you can't! I wanted to take my car down there, go for a trip and then sell it eventually somewhere down there. Obviously I can't do that! I would have to send it back! I knew Brazil was a no-no, but I figured Chile, Peru or one of the northern countries would allow it!

Next I thought you were doing all this to just get your car BACK to the US because you couldn't sell it in Brazil. I thought it was a little extreme and expensive to do *all* that work to return the car! But if it's part of your trip, that is great!

I'm not personally worried about theft itself. That happens. The difference between your theft in Tucson and what my relatives in Brazil have experienced is that the theft happened in person VS when you're away in Tucson. Having someone rob you, vs robbing your stuff while you're away are two different ball games! And while driving through all those countries, that would be my biggest worry.

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
dbrandolizi
post Sep 27 2010, 01:19 PM
Post #11

Wanderer

You are right. I can not compare those kind of roubbering. But I can asure traveling in Central America or South America is relative safe. They are some places you need to avoid like main cities. I will give you an exemple: Quatemala City, San Salvador, Rio de Janeiro (some areas), Bogota. Not that those cities are completily bad places but you will need to be extra careful when driving there. One way you can sell your car down in South America will be fiding a policeman that will like to by it. They have the connection to transfer paperwork. Another option is tranport trough a shipping company in Chile (Vina del Mar). I have a friend that shipped his SUV back from there. The cost was around 4,000.00 dollars. Another way but risky is leave Brazil trough Paraguay (Ponta Pora). There is jus a street that separate those countries. So you leave Brazil (do all the paperwork out) and enter Paraguay without paperwork and try to sell you car on the streets. I was there and the most they offer me was 200.00 dollars. If you like to do a nice round trip go down ob the pacific highway from Us to Tierra del Fuego and come back on the Atlantic Highway to North Brazil. There is a city up there name Belem they can ship your car to US or you can put on a boat that goes up the Amazon River to Manaus (capital). From there take the highway north to Venezuela. Drive north to Caracas and than west to Colombia (Cartagena). Ship your car to Panama. I have seen no one doing this kind of route. If I don"t get anyone to drive with me that will be the route I will take. If there is anything I can help you with information let me know. Cheers
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
pkennedy
post Sep 27 2010, 01:32 PM
Post #12

Belem is a city I would like to visit! I like your routes for sure. The larger cities are a problem. My wife is always concerned about high jackings on the highway. On some of the highways in Brazil she is paranoid about thieves blocking the road and stealing your car. I'm not really sure how "common" this is. She's far more paranoid about security than myself. I've done a fair amount of traveling around and haven't had any issues.

However, I would have to sell my car before trying this route, as it's a luxury car and would become an obvious target. I would love to drive all the way down to south america though!

Maybe I'll revive my plan one day!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
jiujitsuftc
post Aug 11 2012, 12:35 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 3167913

QUOTE(pkennedy @ Sep 27 2010, 12:20 PM) *

I still might be confused on your exact trip details. I thought you could buy/sell used cars in other countries outside of Brazil! Hence why I suggested it, good to know you can't! I wanted to take my car down there, go for a trip and then sell it eventually somewhere down there. Obviously I can't do that! I would have to send it back! I knew Brazil was a no-no, but I figured Chile, Peru or one of the northern countries would allow it!

Next I thought you were doing all this to just get your car BACK to the US because you couldn't sell it in Brazil. I thought it was a little extreme and expensive to do *all* that work to return the car! But if it's part of your trip, that is great!

I'm not personally worried about theft itself. That happens. The difference between your theft in Tucson and what my relatives in Brazil have experienced is that the theft happened in person VS when you're away in Tucson. Having someone rob you, vs robbing your stuff while you're away are two different ball games! And while driving through all those countries, that would be my biggest worry.

YOU can sell a car in Brazil ,i do not know why you guys are saying that you could not! But you have to follow the rules as in any other place!!!fill the papers and pay all the fees!!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
convoytothecup
post Oct 23 2012, 12:26 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 3336373

Hi. I am planning a travel/soccer documentary. In the beginning stages. The documentary will be about driving from arizona, use to rio de janeiro for the world cup. I have a question based on a post you made. Was it difficult getting through central america and shipping your car to panama?

Thanks,
-Joe
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
adriano28
post Mar 10 2013, 04:05 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 3656383

QUOTE(convoytothecup @ Oct 23 2012, 12:26 AM) *

Hi. I am planning a travel/soccer documentary. In the beginning stages. The documentary will be about driving from arizona, use to rio de janeiro for the world cup. I have a question based on a post you made. Was it difficult getting through central america and shipping your car to panama?

Thanks,
-Joe

Hi...I made a trip in a dunne buggy, start in São Paulo, ship it Panamá and from there I start the trip to Guatemala, crossing all Central America. No problem at borders, they stamp your passaport with date of entry of vehicle and most countries give you 30 days. In Guatemala I renew the license for 60 days. After that you have to take the car out of country. I did it for one time and after that I pay the taxes and put a Guatemala license plate. I have pictures of the trip. That was long time ago, in 1986. I am planning a trip from USA to Brazil sometime next year in a 4x4 full equipped for adventure, with a top tent. I am searching informations. I know we can not import used cars. Best option is after the days they allowed me in Brazil, I will drive the car to other country ou even make a trip back up north. I am looking for one cool guy or girl that practice kitesurf. Plan stop in areas that are good for kitesurf, probably go all way to Venezuela before arrive in Brazil.

sds - Adriano
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
jacguerra
post Mar 19 2013, 07:21 AM
Post #16

Member No.: 3679943

QUOTE(convoytothecup @ Oct 23 2012, 12:26 AM) *

Thanks,
-Joe

Hi Joe

I am planning a trip too from USA to Brazil in 2014 ...let´s make a convoy. I am looking for a kitesurfer for join me or in his own car. I will buy one 4x4 in USA and prepare it for a nice trip

best regards

Adriano
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th August 2014 - 06:11 AM
Top Hotel Destinations in Brazil

Angra Dos Reis Hotels
Aracaju Hotels
Arraial d'Ajuda Hotels
Balneario Camboriu Hotels
Barueri Hotels
Belem Hotels
Belo Horizonte Hotels
Brasilia Hotels
Buzios Hotels
Campinas Hotels
Campo Grande Hotels
Curitiba Hotels
Florianopolis Hotels
Fortaleza Hotels
Foz de Iguacu Hotels
Goiania Hotels
Guaruja Hotels
Guarulhos Hotels
Jericoacoara Hotels
Joao Pessoa Hotels
Joinville Hotels
Londrina Hotels
Macae Hotels
Maceio Hotels
Manaus Hotels
Morro de Sao Paulo Hotels
Natal Hotels
Paraty Hotels
Porto Alegre Hotels
Porto Seguro Hotels
Porto de Galinhas Hotels
Praia do Forte Hotels
Recife Hotels
Ribeirao Preto Hotels
Rio de Janeiro Hotels
Salvador Hotels
Sao Jose Dos Campos Hotels
Sao Paulo Hotels
Trancoso Hotels
Vitoria Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.