Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> from Ecuador - Brasil by boat
melvintas
post Apr 9 2009, 11:42 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 275475

Hi,

I want to travel from Ecuador - Brasil (Northeast or just East coast). I think that going by boat is the most interesting (or only??) way. I don't know if it is possible to travel this journey by boat, so can somebody tell me if it is? If not, is it possible by bus? This looks like a terrible journey, though. Flying is our last option. What is best/cheapest way (airline)? f somebody did the same journey, i really want to know all details ;-)

Will be very happy with a response.

Greetings Melvin
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mmbcross
post Apr 10 2009, 09:12 PM
Post #2

Tripper

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 2195

The Spanish explorer Francisco de Orellana did it in 1542, so I guess there is no reason why you can't do it today. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francisco_de_Orellana

You start from Coca in Ecuador on the Rio Napo. You will connect with other boats in Iquitos, Peru, Tabatinga and Manaus, Brasil. The whole trip should take anywhere up to a month.

It won't be comfortable as you will have to use local ferries, and these are far removed from cruise ships. The trip will be tiring, crowded, uncomfortable, hot, itchy and as miserable as any trip you will ever go on. Nevertheless, for some reason many tourists of all ages and wallets make it though, simply so they can say they did. Look how decrepit the town of Coca is!
http://www.hobotraveler.com/055tcocacity.shtml

Now you have seen this, I suggest you reconsider the bus option. The Peruvian bus company Ormeno operates very comfortable buses from Quito to Buenos Aires via Lima. This will take about 5 days straight through.
http://www.grupo-ormeno.com.pe/home.php
Then take the Crucero del Norte bus to Rio de Janeiro, about 38 hours.
http://www.crucerodelnorte.com.ar/cn/english/default.aspx
Total cost will be about US$ 200.00.

After all the time and expense of the 7-day bus trip, it may behoove you to consider flying, which won't be cheap, but oh so convenient. Fare about US$ 450.00 one way, plus tax.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
big_red_truck
post Apr 12 2009, 12:28 AM
Post #3

Pathfinder

Group: Local Expert
From: In the process of moving, but Currently in...Huntsville, AL
Member No.: 97423

Unless your main goal is to see the river by boat, or see S. America by bus, I would think the opportunity-cost 7 days of travel has on your ability to enjoy the country would far outweigh the extra $250 for flying.

Now if the ability to say you've made the journey is more important than what you might be able to do at your destination (that happens with me sometimes), then by all means, make the boat trip. See who you meet. Take lots of pictures. And do please post about it as you travel/or after finishing the travel. Good luck with whichever route you decide to take. And safe travels!

--------------------
Currently traveling the world for work...with a few extra fiddleybits thrown in to keep it new...it's the cheapest way to go!!!

Quote from my friend Chuck, who spent 5 months riding his bicycle all the way around the USA - "Nobody says you have to order an entree in the restaurant of life, you'll only be here once! Order the sampler, try as many as you can before you're full; odds are one (of) the items on this menu does more for you than you ever thought. And if I'm wrong, tell the waiter that his menu sucks, throw the cook aside and invent your own masterpiece. Just pour 'em all in, all your favorite ingredients. With enough imagination, any combination will work -- there are no recipes for the paths still awaiting discovery."

Most current Travelogue - Click Here

My Travelogues - Click Here

Our Couchsurfing profile
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
stefanbukkel
post Apr 13 2009, 04:11 PM
Post #4

Wanderer

Group: Members
Member No.: 186994

you may check: www.amazingtours.com.br information about amazon and south america.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2014 - 03:29 AM
Top Hotel Destinations in Brazil

Angra Dos Reis Hotels
Aracaju Hotels
Arraial d'Ajuda Hotels
Balneario Camboriu Hotels
Barueri Hotels
Belem Hotels
Belo Horizonte Hotels
Brasilia Hotels
Buzios Hotels
Campinas Hotels
Campo Grande Hotels
Curitiba Hotels
Florianopolis Hotels
Fortaleza Hotels
Foz de Iguacu Hotels
Goiania Hotels
Guaruja Hotels
Guarulhos Hotels
Jericoacoara Hotels
Joao Pessoa Hotels
Joinville Hotels
Londrina Hotels
Macae Hotels
Maceio Hotels
Manaus Hotels
Morro de Sao Paulo Hotels
Natal Hotels
Paraty Hotels
Porto Alegre Hotels
Porto Seguro Hotels
Porto de Galinhas Hotels
Praia do Forte Hotels
Recife Hotels
Ribeirao Preto Hotels
Rio de Janeiro Hotels
Salvador Hotels
Sao Jose Dos Campos Hotels
Sao Paulo Hotels
Trancoso Hotels
Vitoria Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.