Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Help! Tour around china
mrsdp
post Jul 15 2008, 12:05 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 150189

Hi fellow travellers!

My husband and I are currently in Hong Kong but due to fly to Beijing on Thursday 15th July. We already have this flight booked. What we would really like to do is to go on a tour of China for approx 3 weeks taking in Beijing, Shanghai, Xi'an, Yellow River, 3 Gorges and perhaps some suggestions on any other wonderful places we must not miss. We have no hotels booked yet but would like to return to Hong Kong after 3 weeks to then go on to Singapore, Thailand etc (that's a separate matter though). We have sorted out our China Visa and should get it back to us tonight - Tuesday.

My husband is walking round some of the local Hong Kong travel companies to draw up a package for us but it's proving difficult for them to really understand what it is we want. I, meanwhile, am on here doing some research on building a package myself.

If anyone could suggest, help, guide me with this I would be really really grateful.

Thankyou so much in advance.

mrsdp xx
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Jul 15 2008, 08:51 AM
Post #2

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 103914

Have you read evamaria's starter kit on China yet?
http://www.travelpod.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=9329

She could probably help you pick something interesting to do. Try messaging her!

--------------------
User is online!PM
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Jul 16 2008, 10:11 AM
Post #3

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 103914

Evamaria has, you should ask her about it, in the topic I posted above...

--------------------
User is online!PM
+Quote Post
favoritecity
post Aug 10 2008, 08:59 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 155358

QUOTE(mrsdp @ Jul 15 2008, 12:05 AM) *

Hi fellow travellers!

My husband and I are currently in Hong Kong but due to fly to Beijing on Thursday 15th July. We already have this flight booked. What we would really like to do is to go on a tour of China for approx 3 weeks taking in Beijing, Shanghai, Xi'an, Yellow River, 3 Gorges and perhaps some suggestions on any other wonderful places we must not miss. We have no hotels booked yet but would like to return to Hong Kong after 3 weeks to then go on to Singapore, Thailand etc (that's a separate matter though). We have sorted out our China Visa and should get it back to us tonight - Tuesday.

My husband is walking round some of the local Hong Kong travel companies to draw up a package for us but it's proving difficult for them to really understand what it is we want. I, meanwhile, am on here doing some research on building a package myself.

If anyone could suggest, help, guide me with this I would be really really grateful.

mrsdp xx

Hello mrsdp, I've created a page about Beijing that might be helpfull finding interesting places to go to. It only lists the highlights, but even those may take you a few days to explore. You can find the city travel guide here: http://www.favoritecity.eu/china/beijing. Happy travels. Gr. Maarten
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
breeze2008
post Aug 25 2008, 10:35 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 228675

Hi fellow travellers!

mrsdp xx

www.echinacities.com is your best free guide, it is your best friend when you are in Beijing.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
jimmychen1217
post Sep 1 2008, 10:57 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 234065

if you wanna know some about china's long history,china is a not bad place for you.Beijing has been the capital of china for 500 years ,within this city,you'll find some of china's most stunning sights: the Forbidden City,the Summer Palace,Temple of Heaven Park and the Great Wall,to name just a few.Besides,Tibet is also a amazing place for you.Tibet is the most highest plateau in the world.The uniqe geogriphical conditions brings its special snow scenery into being.Tibet's history and culture are colorful.
if you wanna get more comprehensive information,echinacities.com will be a great help.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
evamaria85
post Sep 3 2008, 11:42 AM
Post #7

Drifter

Member No.: 1099

Hi MRSDP,

I think your on to something good with the Beijing to Shanghai tour in three weeks, it's doable.

I more or less did that tour in 2004, the itenerary was as follows: Beijing, Inner Mongolia, Sichuan, Yangzte River, Nanjing, Huang Shan, Shanghai.

You don't really specify what you want to see, is it a city holiday, do you enjoy trekking, or do you want to get a bit off the beateng track (in which Inner Mongolia is a good bet, it could otherwise be shifted out and you could then visit Xi'An instead, they are both en route going west)

We went to Sichuan, but as I havn't been there since the earth quake I have no idea of how things are. If you chose to go there I have heard from other travellers that the giant Buddha statues at Emei Shan and Le Shan are well worth a visit. If Sichuan is too much of a mess, then go straight to Chongqing where you can board the river boat taking you down the Yangtze. I do not know where the boat terminates, but when I sailed down the river we ended in Yichang, from where we took a bus to Wuhan and the trains going east. From Wuhan some places to visit are Huang Shan (The Yellow Mountain) mountains much in the style of the one you see in "Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon" (parts of it was in fact filmed here), then onto Nanjing, a city jam packed with 20th century history and the long standing grudge with Japan, and on top of that is Nanjing a former capital of China, both in the dynastic periods and with the GMD (Sun Yatsen) era. From Nanjing you can go to one of the garden cities of China, being that either Suzhou (my favourite), Hangzhou or Yangzhou. And then finish off your tour in Shanghai.

Most transport can be done with bus and train, though you might need a flight ticket from Inner Mongolia to either Chengdu (Sichuan) or Chongqing.

Hope this was of any use, and if you need more info, feel free to write.

Take care

Eva Maria

Hi fellow travellers!

mrsdp xx

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
baphometdemon
post Oct 15 2008, 01:11 PM
Post #8

Wanderer

Member No.: 250692

Hi fellow travellers!

mrsdp xx

Well, if you go to Xi'an, I'd also suggest Luoyang.

If you go to Shanghai, I'd suggest Huangshan mountains. These are the most beautiful this I saw in China.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
happysheep
post Oct 20 2008, 10:18 PM
Post #9

Explorer

Member No.: 235138

If you head to Beijing and Shanghai and Xi'an, it is worth balancing out these old/new, crowded/dirty places with somewhere out West - Sichuan or Yunnan. Or Guilin, closer to Hong Kong.
More than 2/3rds of the visitors I meet who make it to Yunnan say:
1. they wish they spent more time in Yunnan;
2. they enjoyed the blue skies, mild climate, ethnic minorities, less crowds, etc

You can easily book flights via ctrip or elong, same for hotels. This time of year it is easy to find places to stay, and flights or trains aren't too booked up.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
flagexport
post Oct 22 2008, 08:22 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 252747

welcom to China!!! you will always find things to do, to see all the time. I have been travelling within China for 1 month in 2003, even if I am a chinese, I love different fascinating places

--------------------
Making your own travel flags&banners
Url: www.flagexport.com
Email: frank@flagexport.com
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
charlotte850505
post Oct 25 2008, 04:26 AM
Post #11

Explorer

Member No.: 251580

the Forbidden City,the Summer Palace,Temple of Heaven Park and the Great Wall,
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
baphometdemon
post Oct 30 2008, 10:21 AM
Post #12

Wanderer

Member No.: 250692

QUOTE(charlotte850505 @ Oct 25 2008, 04:26 AM) *

the Forbidden City,the Summer Palace,Temple of Heaven Park and the Great Wall,

Make it outside of Beijing there chief?
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
charlotte850505
post Oct 31 2008, 04:04 AM
Post #13

Explorer

Member No.: 251580

I have heard from other travellers that the giant Buddha statues at Emei Shan and Le Shan are well worth a visit. If Sichuan is too much of a mess, then go straight to Chongqing where you can board the river boat taking you down the Yangtze. I do not know where the boat terminates, but when I sailed down the river we ended in Yichang, from where we took a bus to Wuhan and the trains going east. From Wuhan some places to visit are Huang Shan
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd September 2014 - 06:50 AM
Top Hotel Destinations in China

Beijing Hotels
Changchun Hotels
Changsha Hotels
Chengdu Hotels
Chongqing Hotels
Dalian Hotels
Dongguan Hotels
Foshan Hotels
Fuzhou Hotels
Guangzhou Hotels
Guilin Hotels
Haikou Hotels
Hangzhou Hotels
Harbin Hotels
Hefei Hotels
Hong Kong Hotels
Jinan Hotels
Kunming Hotels
Lanzhou Hotels
Lijiang Hotels
Nanchang Hotels
Nanjing Hotels
Nanning Hotels
Ningbo Hotels
Qingdao Hotels
Sanya Hotels
Shanghai Hotels
Shenyang Hotels
Shenzhen Hotels
Suzhou Hotels
Taiyuan Hotels
Tianjin Hotels
Urumqi Hotels
Wenzhou Hotels
Wuhan Hotels
Wuxi Hotels
Xi'an Hotels
Xiamen Hotels
Zhengzhou Hotels
Zhuhai Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.