Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Chicago?, Spending a couple of days in Chicago
Jamie
post Feb 20 2006, 11:17 AM
Post #1

Unregistered

Can anyone recommend things to do for a couple of days in Chicago this summer? We're driving down from Ottawa, going to do a day in Cleveland to see the Rock n' Roll museum and then go over to the windy city to see the King Tut exhibit. After that we'd like to spend a day or two kicking around before driving back. What's good to see in Chicago? What's overrated? Great restaurants? Can anyone recommend a great bar for indie music? My favorite bar in Ottawa is Zaphod Beelblerox. I saw Athlete and The Stereophonics there last year.

Cheers

Jamie
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
stevejames
post Feb 20 2006, 02:13 PM
Post #2

Tourist

Group: Members
Member No.: 232

Hi Jamie,

I spent 5 days in Chicago over the Christmas period. Due to the time of year it was cold, empty and mainly shut, but I still had fun!

If you are not All Museumed Out after getting a load of ol' Tutties then check out the Art Institute for an afternoon: superb collections of art from all around the globe. A walk up Michigan Avenue is also enjoyable for gandering at shops and architecture.

The Chicago YHA offers excellent free walking tours of the city performed by local volunteers. I think they're exclusively for people staying there though. If you're not planning on YHA-ing it, no harm in popping in to have a look to see when the next one is - the signup sheet is on the tour desk upstairs opposite main reception - you might even be able to blag a place on it wink.gif

I'm an indie kid through and through but 'fraid I can't help you on the gig/bar side - can any locals help out?

cheerio
steve

--------------------
steve
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Barrett
post Feb 20 2006, 09:33 PM
Post #3

Nomad

Member No.: 423

Hi
I caught one of my friends on MSN and asked your question. She is a long-time Chicago native with the inside scoop.

She said:
i have one very important suggestion...you must go to Second City...its a comedy show and it's fantastic

not sure about indie music...but the rush street area is awesome....there are a lot of blues clubs on clark street

i love the buckingham fountain and the sears tower is certainly a must...it costs a bit to go up to the top but it's supposed to be well worth it

Hope this helps some!

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Jamie
post Feb 21 2006, 04:34 PM
Post #4

Unregistered

Second City sounds like a great way to end the night after Tut.

Thanks.

What about the mob past of Chicago? Anything worth doing/seeing about that? It'd be like going to San Fran and not visiting Alcatraz.

That and I guess I gotta have some pizza eh?

Jamie
+Quote Post
urbantraveller
post Oct 18 2012, 03:57 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 3229263

Hi guys! How about trying an UrbanQuest around Chicago? Think you know your way around Chicago? Then try a Quest and solve a series of clues that will lead you to your mystery restaurant. It's actually great for family outings, dates, or even work events. You can do your Quest for fun and learn about the city along the way.

Visit their website at www.urbanquest.com for more details, you'll surely love this unique travel/activity.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th July 2014 - 11:10 AM
Top Hotel Destinations

Acapulco Hotels
Atlanta Hotels
Austin Hotels
Beijing Hotels
Cancun Hotels
Charlotte Hotels
Chicago Hotels
Dallas Hotels
Denver Hotels
Honolulu Hotels
Houston Hotels
Indianapolis Hotels
Kissimmee Hotels
Las Vegas Hotels
London Hotels
Los Angeles Hotels
Mexico City Hotels
Miami Hotels
Miami Beach Hotels
Montreal Hotels
Myrtle Beach Hotels
Nashville Hotels
Negril Hotels
New Orleans Hotels
New York City Hotels
Orlando Hotels
Paris Hotels
Phoenix Hotels
Playa del Carmen Hotels
Puerto Plata Hotels
Puerto Vallarta Hotels
Punta Cana Hotels
Rome Hotels
San Antonio Hotels
San Diego Hotels
San Francisco Hotels
Seattle Hotels
Tampa Hotels
Toronto Hotels
Washington DC Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.