Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Travelling in India for first time
benuds
post Feb 8 2010, 06:04 AM
Post #1

Wanderer

Group: Members
Member No.: 290674

Me and my girlfriend are going to India on the 20th April for 2 months before heading to Thailand and south east Asia. We fly into Mumbai and leave from Delhi, we'd ideally like to head to Goa, spend a bit of time there then explore the south before heading back up to Delhi...
Few questions now...
Is it worth spending a few days in Mumbai?
Can anyone recommend a 24hr hotel near the airport for when we get there? Ideally somewhere not too skanky but not overly expensive...
Are there any places in the South that cannot be missed?
How much time will it take to get from the South to Delhi in the time we have? Would it be better to just catch a plane? If so where from?

Thanks for reading smile.gif
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
prince4you
post Feb 11 2010, 06:38 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 743571

QUOTE(benuds @ Feb 8 2010, 06:04 AM) *

Me and my girlfriend are going to India on the 20th April for 2 months before heading to Thailand and south east Asia. We fly into Mumbai and leave from Delhi, we'd ideally like to head to Goa, spend a bit of time there then explore the south before heading back up to Delhi...
Few questions now...
Is it worth spending a few days in Mumbai?
Can anyone recommend a 24hr hotel near the airport for when we get there? Ideally somewhere not too skanky but not overly expensive...
Are there any places in the South that cannot be missed?
How much time will it take to get from the South to Delhi in the time we have? Would it be better to just catch a plane? If so where from?

Thanks for reading smile.gif

Welcome to India!!!!.
There are some must seen places in South India. When it comes to heritage it is HUMPI in Karnataka state. It is accessible easily from Bangalore. There are some more places "Belur" and "Halebid". If you go further south "Mahabalipuram" is must seen place. This town is near by Chennai city and falls with in Tamilnadu state. There are many places in Kerala to visit. Munnar is one of the best hill stations in the country. One must enjoy the House boat trip in backwaters of Alleppy also called Alappuzha. Of course there are some places near by where one can take house boat trip. These places are kollam, komorokom, kottayam etc. This trip should be a memorable one for anybody who boards on. One can visit Kanyakumari where the Land of India Ends on South. There two big cities in southern most part of India. Trivandrum and Cochin are well connected to Delhi by flight. Almost all the airlines operate from these cities to Delhi. You can select various budget airlines(spice jet, indigo etc..) at the best prices. If you board a train (Rajadhani..may the quick one to arrive among trians) it will take at least 36 hours to reach Delhi from Trivandrum. The distance between Trivandrum and Cochin is approximately 200 KM, Trivandrum being the southern most city.
Need more info?? smile.gif
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
bloomer
post Feb 12 2010, 10:31 AM
Post #3

Frequent Flyer

Member No.: 1067

Been to Mumbai twice. Didn't really like it much, very busy, very expensive in relation to the rest of India, and yes, a young city really.
See Chowpatty beach, and India gate, and that's about all you need. Delhi has much more to offer, so I always fly there.

Agreed about Hampi, one of the most amazing places on earth. Goa is going to be very hot in april, but the beaches in the very north or the very south should be clearing out. Stay away from baga, candolim, anjuna, that area--those beaches will be full of package tourists and a lot of partying. Unless of course that is what you want!!
I would recommend Gokarna just over the border of Karnataka as a little less rowdy, and if you get to the very south, visit the nature preserves in the southern ghats, then go to Kerala, maybe the most beautiful of the coastal states.
Remember you might get "stuck" in a place if it is really nice!!
Also, India gets inot your blood, and once you spend time there, you will always want to go back!

--------------------
My travels. Well, some of them anyway.

Josh 13 on myspace

The Solo Me

Alter Ego Oliver Towne

Joshbloomer.com

QUOTE(findingnine @ Feb 21 2007, 05:08 PM) *

Hair of the dog. Make it a lifestyle! :puppeh:
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
bloomer
post Feb 12 2010, 10:35 AM
Post #4

Frequent Flyer

Member No.: 1067

Also, the train is a great way to travel, especially at that time of year, a lot of tourists will have gone home. Go to "church street" station to the "tourist quota office" and purchase your ticket there. Save your receipt from any money changer you use, as they may ask for it.
I would recommend 2-or 3-AC sleeper class, very comfortable. Cabin class will have no AC.

--------------------
My travels. Well, some of them anyway.

Josh 13 on myspace

The Solo Me

Alter Ego Oliver Towne

Joshbloomer.com

QUOTE(findingnine @ Feb 21 2007, 05:08 PM) *

Hair of the dog. Make it a lifestyle! :puppeh:
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
rohit88
post Jul 12 2010, 01:13 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 1144411

dont waste your time in mumbai unless you have any important things to do there
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
cgrolle
post Jan 20 2011, 10:05 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 1650741

Hi there,

My boyfriend and I were hoping to do the same trip either South East Asia to India or vice versa. Just wondered how your trip went, what route you took, anything you would change etc? Basically any advice for us?!

Thanks!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
albimorkel
post Feb 9 2013, 07:18 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 3575133

Many low cost of hotel in Mumbai nearest of airport.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
jito
post Apr 1 2013, 06:05 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 919031

"A must visit place" - It depends on your interest. Is it mountains - ocean - forest - desert - cultural activitis ???
And yes, don't waste time in Mumbai.

--------------------
My Travel experiences: Rajasthan|Barmek Trip|Chhattisgarh
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
flightstoindia
post Apr 30 2013, 06:39 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 3796693

Yes it is worth to spend log time in Mumbai for try to spend more time in Goa then after visit other places like.

Delhi
Udaipur, India
Jaipur, India
Bangalore, India
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Kochi (Cochin), India
Pune, India
Jaisalmer, India
Agra, India
Jodhpur, India
Hyderabad, India
Kolkata (Calcutta), India
Chennai (Madras), India
Gurgaon, India
Manali, India

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2014 - 06:55 PM
Top Hotel Destinations in India

Agra Hotels
Ahmedabad Hotels
Alappuzha Hotels
Amritsar Hotels
Bangalore Hotels
Bardez Hotels
Bhubaneswar Hotels
Calangute Hotels
Candolim Hotels
Chennai (Madras) Hotels
Darjeeling Hotels
Gangtok Hotels
Goa Hotels
Gurgaon Hotels
Haridwar Hotels
Hyderabad Hotels
Indore Hotels
Jaipur Hotels
Jaisalmer Hotels
Jodhpur Hotels
Kochi Hotels
Kodaikanal Hotels
Kolkata (Calcutta) Hotels
Kovalam Hotels
Manali Hotels
Mumbai (Bombay) Hotels
Munnar Hotels
Mussoorie Hotels
Mysore Hotels
Nainital Hotels
New Delhi Hotels
Ootacamund Hotels
Pondicherry Hotels
Pune Hotels
Salcette Hotels
Shimla Hotels
Srinagar Hotels
Thiruvananthapuram (Trivandrum) Hotels
Udaipur Hotels
Varanasi Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.