Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Rousse, Bulgaria Starter Kit, My home for the last 3 years.
indesec
post Jun 26 2009, 01:35 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 283740
Nominate me as a Local Expert

Rousse (also transliterated as Ruse or Russe; Bulgarian: Русе [ˈru.sɛ]) is the fifth-largest city in Bulgaria with a population of near 175,600. Rousse is situated in the north-eastern part of the country, on the right bank of the Danube, opposite the Romanian city of Giurgiu, 300 km from the capital Sofia and 200 km from the Bulgarian Black Sea Coast. It is the most significant Bulgarian river port, serving an important part of the international trade of the country.

Rousse is known for its 19th- and 20th-century Neo-Baroque and Neo-Rococo architecture, which attracts many tourists. The Rousse-Giurgiu Friendship Bridge, the only one in the shared Bulgarian-Romanian section of the Danube, crosses the river here.

Rousse is located on the right bank of the Danube, which is the high bank, having two underwater terraces and three land terraces at 15–22 m, 30–66 m, and 54–65 m. The average altitude is 45.5 m AMSL. The urban area is an approximately 11-km ellipse running along the river. The city extends from the land-connected Matey (Матей) island and the mouth of Rusenski Lom on the west to Srabcheto (Сръбчето) hill on the east. During the 20th century, the west end of the city was significantly modified by moving the mouth of Rusenski Lom to the west, as well as by moving the bank itself with its fairway considerably to the north. Sarabair (саръбаир) hill is to the south of the city and is 159 m high. The Rousse TV Tower is built there on the remains of Leventtabia, a former Turkish fortification.

Notable citizens

* Elias Canetti, winner of the 1981 Nobel Prize for Literature
* Albert Aftalion (1874–1956), French economist and economic situation theoretician
* Silvester Maria Braito (1898–1962), Czech catholic Dominican priest, theologian, poet, literary critic, journalist
* Michael Arlen (1895-1956), original name Dikran Kouyoumdjian, short story writer, novelist, playwright, and scriptwriter
* Jules Pascin (1885-1930), painter
* Tanyu Kiryakov, pistol shooter, Olympic champion
* Zdravko Kissiov, poet
* Vlad Kolarov, cartoonist
* Radi Nedelchev, painter
* Tonka Obretenova, 19th-century revolutionary
* Neshka Robeva, rhythmic gymnastics player and coach
* Veselin Topalov, chess player, FIDE world champion 2005-06
* Stefan Tsanev, writer
* Venelina Veneva, high jumper
* Orlin Anastassov, opera singer
* Alemdar Mustafa Pasha Ottoman Grand Vizier

Regular events

* The March Music Days is an international music festival for classical music.
* St George's Day (6 May) is Rousse's holiday. A local fair is organized for a week around this date.
* The Danubian Carnival is a masquerade held around 24 June, Enyovden.
* The Sexaginta Prista Summer Stage is an urban festival. Events are hosted at the Roman castle every Friday from May through October.
* At the end of October are BG MediaMarket and the Bulgarian Europe Media Festival.
Museums

* National Transport Museum
* Battenberg Palace, built 1892, which now hosts the Rousse Regional Historical Museum
* Pantheon of National Revival Heroes
* Kaliopa House, a museum depicting the old urban lifestyle
* Zahari Stoyanov Museum

Religious buildings

* Church of the Holy Trinity
* Church of the Holy Theotokos
* Church of St George
* Church of Holy Archangel Michael
* Church of the Holy Ascension
* Church of St Petka
* Russian Church of St Nicholas the Miracle Worker
* Roman Catholic St Paul of the Cross Cathedral, built 1890
* Armenian Surp Astvadzadzin Church
* Evangelical Baptist church
* Evangelical Methodist Church
* Seid Pasha Mosque
* Rock-hewn Churches of Ivanovo, a World Heritage Site, is situated 20 km to the south.

The typical architecture of Rousse
The Catholic Eparchy in Rousse
Dozodno Zdanie or the theatre building in the central part of Rousse

In 1978, the All Saints Church was destroyed and the Pantheon of National Revival Heroes was built thereupon.

The Jewish community in Rousse built and consecrated a synagogue in 1797. It was destroyed in the 1810 fire, but two other synagogues were later built in 1826 and 1852.

Transport

Ruse is a major road and railway hub in Northern Bulgaria. Railway transportation in the city dates back to 1867 when it became a station of first railway line in Bulgaria Ruse - Varna. There are railways to Southern Bulgaria, Sofia, Varna and Bucharest. Ruse has two railway stations for passenger services (Central and Razpredelitelna) and other 2 for freight transport services. There are intercity busses which link Ruse with cities and towns all over the country and some European countries. They are based in two bus stations: South and East.

Ruse has an extensive public transport system including around 30 bus and trolleybus lines. There are also several suburban bus lines.

Approximately 15 km southeast of Rousse is the village of Shtraklevo, near which is the former military Rousse Airport (currently closed). Plans exist to redevelop and reopen the airport by 2008–09 for internal, charter, and cargo flights. The runway is long enough for Boeing 747s (Jumbo Jets).

Antiquity and Early Middle Ages

The city emerged as a Thracian settlement from the 3rd to 2nd millennium BCE, when pottery, fishing, agriculture, and hunting developed. Excavations reveal several layers, suggesting that the place was attacked by neighbouring tribes and suffered some natural disasters. Ancient sanctuaries were found nearby, where idols of a pregnant woman, a fertility goddess, were prevalent. The Thracian settlement later developed into a Roman military and naval centre during the reign of Vespasian (69-70 CE) as part of the fortification system along the northern boundary of Moesia. Its name, Sexaginta Prista, suggests a meaning of "a city of 60 ships" (from Latin: sexaginta — "60" and Greek: pristis — a special type of guard ship), based on the supposed 60 nearby berths. The fortress was located on the main road between Singidunum (modern Belgrade) and the Danube Delta and was destroyed in the sixth century by Avar and Slavic raids. Hungarian historian Felix Philipp Kanitz was the first to identify Sexaginta Prista with Rousse, but the Škorpil brothers demonstrated the link later through studying inscriptions, coins, graves, and objects of daily life. An inscription from the reign of Diocletian proves that the city was rebuilt as a praesidium (a large fortification) after it was destroyed by the Goths in 250 CE.

Rousse, Ruse, Pyce is the largest Bulgarian river port on the Danube. Because of that it has always absorbed the culture of Western Europe from visitors here, these include River captains, cruise ship passengers etc.

Ruse was the first city in Bulgaria to have a railway (Varna being the second), Chamber of trade and commerce, free printed newspaper, in fact for firsts I could go on for awhile, but I'll come back to that.

Soon after dealing within Ruse it became apparent that there was a shortfall in accommodation within the city, all hotels had a double pricing structure, and there was no budget accommodation, hence my reason for setting up the English guest house.

For the past 3 years this has been one of the most satisfying and rewarding experiences of my life.

Everyday we get to meet new people coming through, either leaving Romania or heading there.

As we offer tours it's been my pleasure to learn as much as I can about Bulgaria, Ruse, its peoples, culture and customs, and I would be only too happy to pass that information onto others.

Ruse is known as little Vienna because of its Rococo architecture, the city being almost rebuilt by Austrian architects.

The city square is magnificent, very clean, very safe, surrounded by Theatres, opera house, and many many cafe bars, where food and drink are cheap and a pleasure to visit after a long journey. Indeed sitting in these bars watching the children play, the fountains and the sheer tranquillity makes England seem a more and more distant memory.

Don't get me wrong, I love my country, I love being English, it's just such a shame the country is heading into a downward spiral, but this isn't the place for such rantings, so back to Ruse.

As many people who pass through here are exploring historical sites etc, I thought I would link to a few here;

Dimitar basorbovski rock monestary.

Bulgarian lifestyle museum.

Cherven medieval fortress.

Ivanhovo rock monestary.

Liberty monument.

Orlova chuka cave system.

National transport museum.

Pantheon of revivalists.

Pictures and information of Ruse.

Ruse theatre.

Rusenski lom (Unesco).

Videos of Ruse.

Why Ruse.
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
indesec
post Jul 1 2009, 02:48 AM
Post #2

Ruse, As I shall call it from now, is on the other side of the River Danube from Bucharest, and as we have the only bridge (At the moment) this makes it the most viable entry point when travelling from Western Europe.

As with most cities its industrial zones are on the outskirts, and must admit it doesn’t look too good when you first enter.

It is getting better, just as you leave customs to enter Bulgaria, there is a new shopping mall which is nearly finished, roads are being resurfaced and once all the grass verges are planted it will be quite a nice first impression.

As you enter you will see large smoke stacks and cooling towers, these where misreported on one forum as a nuclear power station, it is in fact a furnace where most of the rubbish from Ruse was, and is burnt.

So, again, as you enter Bulgaria, whether your walking or cycling, you will take the first right at the roundabout in front of you, to get into the city would be about an hours walk, but if you are staying with us please call us and we will come and collect you, for those who choose to make it on their own let me describe what you’ll see along the way.

On the right hand side of the road you will see very large silver pipes supported by columns, these are hot water pipes, the heat being generated from said furnace. This was piped directly into many apartment blocks, government buildings, offices, hospitals etc, and although it’s not exactly a green process, this did serve the needs of many of the population.

This road is pretty straight so just keep going, as you enter the outskirts of the city, the road kind of doglegs, follow it and keep going, again very straight until again, it kind of doglegs, right, then immediately left, your nearly there

At the end of all this walking/cycling, you’ll be at a crossroads, with a café bar just ahead in the centre of the dual-carriage way, take a right here, walk a few hundred metres down until you see a supermarket on your right, called CBA, cross the road so this is now behind you, and walk down the street between a row of shops, the next to the end shop on your right is the nearest tourist information office, and just across is a very good book shop, keep walking straight on until you see the statue of freedom, and voila, you are now in the main pedestrian square of Ruse.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
indesec
post Jul 1 2009, 06:03 AM
Post #3

The Bulgarian Language.

Now I don`t prefess to be an expert on this, but I will include some information that may be of use.

My apologies to any Bulgarians who read this, its possibly slightly wrong in places, I`m happy to correct if needed,

So here are some useful phrases etc;

English = Balgarski

Yes = Da

No = Ne

Thank you = Blagodarya

Thank you very much = Blagodarya vi mnogo

You're welcome = Dobre doshli

Molya Please = Ako obichate

Excuse me = Izvinete/Izviniavaite

Hello = Zdravei/Zdrasti

Goodbye = Dovijdane, Sbogom

So long = Doskoro, Chao

Good morning = Dobrutro

Good afternoon = Dobar den

Good evening = Dobar vecher

Good night = Leka nosht

There is = Ima

There is not = Niama

I want = Iskam

I do not understand = Ne razbiram

How do you say this in [English]? = Kak shte kajesh tova na [balgarski]?

Do you speak ... = Govorish li...

English = angliiski

French = frenski

German = nemski

Spanish = ispanski

Chinese = kitaiski

I = az

We = nie

You (singular, familiar) = ti

You (singular, formal) = Vie

You (plural) = vie

They = te

What is your name? = Kak se kazvash?

Nice to meet you. = Priatno mi e.

How are you? = Kak si?

Good = Dobre

Bad = Zle/Losho

So so = Gore-dolu

Wife = sapruga

Husband = saprug

Daughter = dashteria

Son = sin

Mother = maika

Father = bashta

Friend = priatel

Post office = poshta

Museum = muzei

Bank = banka

Police station = politzia

Hospital = bolnitza

Pharmacy, Chemists = apteka

Store, Shop = magazin

Restaurant = restorant

School = uchilishte

Church = cherkva

Restrooms( toilets) = toaletni

Street = ulitza

Square = ploshtad

Mountain = planina

Hill = halm

Valley = dolina

Ocean = okean

Lake = ezero

River = reka

Swimming Pool = bassein

Tower = kula

Bridge = most

Where is the bathroom? Where is the toilet? = Kade e toaletnata?

In the Hotel

In the hotel = V hotela

Hotel = hotel

Room = staia

A single room = edinichna staia

Double room = dvoina staia

Bathroom = bania

Breakfast = zakuska

Reservation = rezervacia

Are there any vacancies for tonight? = Ima(te) li svobodni mesta za tazi vecher?

No vacancies = Niama mesta/miasto; vsichko e zaeto; palno e.

Passport = pasport

Shopping

Shopping = Pazaruvane

How much does this cost? = Kolko struva?

It is very expensive = Mnogo e skapo

What is this? = Kakvo e tova?

I'll buy it. = Shte go kupia

I would like to buy ... = Iskam da kupia...

Do you have ... = Imate li...

Do you accept credit cards? = Priemate li kreditni karti?

Open = Otvoreno

Closed = Zatvoreno

Postcard = (Poshtenska) kartichka

Stamps = marki

A little = malko

A lot = mnogo

All = vsichko(to)/ tzialo(to)

In the Restaurant

In the Restaurant = V restoranta

Breakfast = zakuska

Lunch = obed

Dinner = obed/vecheria

Butter = maslo

Milk = mliako

Sugar = zahar

Vegetarian = vegetarianski

Cheers! = nazdrave!

Please bring the bill. = Smetkata, molya!/ Ako obichate, moje li smetkata!

Bread = hlyab

Beverage = napitka

Coffee = kafe

Tea = chai

Juice = djus/ sok

Water = voda

Beer = bira

Wine = vino

Salt = sol

Pepper = piper

Rice = oriz

Meat = messo

Beef = teleshko (messo)

Pork = svinsko (messo)

Fish = riba

Poultry = pileshko (messo)

Vegetable = zelenchuk

Fruit = plod

Potato = kartoff

Grill = skara

Boiled = vareno

Salad = salata

Dessert = dessert

Fruit = plodove

Grapes = grozde

Melon = dinia

Water melon = papesh

Plums = slivi

Peaches = praskovi

Cherries = chereshi

Apple = iabalka

Pear = krusha

Ice = led

Ice cream = sladoled

Directions

Directions = possoki

Left = liav

Right = dessen

Straight = pravo/napravo

Up = gore/nagore

Down = dolu/nadolu

Far = dalech(e)

Near = bliz(k)o

Long = dalgo

Short = kasso

Map = (turisticheska) karta

Tourist Information = Turisticheska informacia

Number

Numbers = chisla

zero = nula

one = edno

two = dve

three = tri

four = chetiri

five = pet

six = shest

seven = sedem

eight = ossem

nine = devet

ten = desset

eleven = edinadeset

twelve = dvanadeset

thirteen = trinadeset

fourteen = chetirinadeset

fifteen = petnadeset

sixteen = shestnadeset

seventeen = sedemnadeset

eighteen = osemnadeset

nineteen = devetnadeset

twenty = dvadeset

twenty one = dvadeset i edno

thirty = trideset

forty = chetirideset

fifty = petdeset

sixty = shestdeset

seventy = sedemdeset

eighty = osemdeset

ninety = devetdeset

one hundred = sto

one thousand = hiliada

one million = (edin) milion

Travel

Travel = patuvane

Where is ...? = Kade e...?

How much is the fare? = Kolko struva/e taksata/bileta?

Ticket = bilet

One ticket to ..., please. = (Edin) bilet za... molya.

Where are you going? = Kade otivash?

Where do you live? = Kade jiveesh?

Train = vlak

Bus = avtobus

Subway, Underground = metro

Airport = Letishte

Train station = gara

Bus station = (avtobusna) spirka

Subway station, Underground station = metro spirka

Departure = zaminavane

Arrival = pristigane

Car rental agency = Agencia za koli pod naem

Parking = parking

Time and Dates

Time and Dates = Vreme i dati

What time is it? = Kolko e chassat?

7:13, Seven thirteen = 7:13, Sedem i trinadeset

3:15, Three fifteen = 3:15, Tri i petnadeset 3:15,

A quarter past three = 3:15, Tri i chetvart

11:30, Eleven thirty = 11:30, Edinadeset i trideset

11:30, Half past eleven = 11:03, Edinadest i polovina

1:45, One forty-five = 1:45, Edin i chetirideset i pet

1:45, A quarter till two = 1:45, Dva bez chetvart

Day = den

Week = sedmitza

Month = mesetz

Year = godina

Monday = ponedelnik

Tuesday = vtornik

Wednesday = sriada

Thursday = chetvartak

Friday = petak

Saturday = sabota

Sunday = nedelia

January = ianuari

February = fevruari

March = mart

April = april

May = mai

June = yuni

July = yuli

August = avgust

September = septemvri

October = oktomvri

November = noemvri

December = dekemvri

Spring = prolet

Summer = lyato

Autumn = essen

Winter = zima

Today = dnes

Yesterday = vchera

Tomorrow = utre

Birthday = Rojden den Happy Birthday! = Chestit rojden den!

Hope they help blink.gif
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
apaminerala
post Aug 6 2009, 12:53 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 293458

A great description.
I visited Russe and Bulgaria in may 2009.
A wonderfull country with friendly people, it seems.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
svetyl4o
post Jan 26 2012, 08:08 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 2625283

Hello! I'm bulgarian who lives in Ruse. So, you know very much about my home town, very good description! The problem with the languages that have cyrillic alphabet is that they are just not the same when you try to spell it with latin alphabet smile.gif So my advice is to try and learn cyrillic. Bulgarian language is very interesting(and I might admit very hard) language. English speaking people said very often that we have R and V upside down, but in fact there are completly defferent letters. What brings you to Bulgaria in the first place anyway?
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st August 2014 - 10:06 PM
Top Hotel Destinations

Acapulco Hotels
Atlanta Hotels
Austin Hotels
Beijing Hotels
Cancun Hotels
Charlotte Hotels
Chicago Hotels
Dallas Hotels
Denver Hotels
Honolulu Hotels
Houston Hotels
Indianapolis Hotels
Kissimmee Hotels
Las Vegas Hotels
London Hotels
Los Angeles Hotels
Mexico City Hotels
Miami Hotels
Miami Beach Hotels
Montreal Hotels
Myrtle Beach Hotels
Nashville Hotels
Negril Hotels
New Orleans Hotels
New York City Hotels
Orlando Hotels
Paris Hotels
Phoenix Hotels
Playa del Carmen Hotels
Puerto Plata Hotels
Puerto Vallarta Hotels
Punta Cana Hotels
Rome Hotels
San Antonio Hotels
San Diego Hotels
San Francisco Hotels
Seattle Hotels
Tampa Hotels
Toronto Hotels
Washington DC Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.