Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Malaria in the north, Health query, malaria update
wenzels
post Aug 25 2007, 09:42 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 80285
Nominate me as a Local Expert

Dear fellow travellers.
We were warned by a bangkok school teacher 2 days ago that there had been a malaria outbreak in the Chiang Mai region leading to 4000 hospitalisations very recently. There is nil on this on the internet other than the usual warnings in the immediate border vicinity to Myanmar and Cambodia.
We did nibble on our Malarone yesterday, but unless someone can confirm this bit of news we will refrain from chomping through our supplies which we are otherwise saving for Cambodia and Sabah/Borneo.

Regine and Peter
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Paul
post Aug 25 2007, 07:02 PM
Post #2

Navigator

Member No.: 98

As you guys have noticed - it is rainy season at the moment and better for mossies. In isolated pockets there has been and will be outbreaks of malaria. Generally not too much, but some. Regarding what the school teacher said - ??? No idea - haven't heard it. Wouldn't be too worried.
What are your plans? If you plan to sit in a bar in Chiang Mai then I wouldn't bother with the medication. If you plan to trek or spend time in remote villages, then it is worth considering. But in the end it is up to you.
Just out of interest - when I was a tour leader in Borneo I didn't bother with the medication either. Never had a problem. But on the other hand a friend of mine who did a short job as a leader there another time got dengue.

In the end you guys need to decide about the medication - the info from the teacher about a huge outbreak - I wouldn't worry about that so much.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
stevejames
post Aug 31 2007, 03:48 PM
Post #3

Tourist

Member No.: 232

I imagine that such a story would be newsworthy, but I couldn't find a thing about it in either the Bangkok Post or The Nation. It is always wise to be cautious in "Malarial areals" (as we say in Bristol), but then again I would take hearsay with a pinch of salt as well unless it came from a reputable source...

--------------------
steve
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st July 2014 - 11:09 AM
Top Hotel Destinations in Thailand

Ayutthaya Hotels
Bangkok Hotels
Cha-am Hotels
Chaweng Hotels
Chiang Mai Hotels
Chiang Rai Hotels
Chon Buri Hotels
Hat Yai Hotels
Hua Hin Hotels
Kanchanaburi Hotels
Kathu Hotels
Khao Lak Hotels
Khon Kaen Hotels
Ko Lanta Hotels
Ko Phangan Hotels
Ko Phi Phi Don Hotels
Ko Tao Hotels
Krabi Hotels
Lampang Hotels
Loei Hotels
Mae Hong Son Hotels
Nakorn Ratchasima Hotels
Nakorn Si Thammarat Hotels
Narathiwat Hotels
Nonthaburi Hotels
Pai Hotels
Patong Hotels
Pattaya Hotels
Phangnga Hotels
Phetchaburi Hotels
Phitsanulok Hotels
Rawai Hotels
Rayong Hotels
Songkhla Hotels
Sukhothai Hotels
Surat Thani Hotels
Tak Hotels
Trang Hotels
Trat Hotels
Udon Thani Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.