Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Mad Random Road Trip - Part I (USA), Wanna come?
ScottWoz
post Jan 5 2007, 05:51 PM
Post #1

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 124

Hi guys,

I thought I'd put a few feelers out for a random upcoming trip this month. I'll be leaving Spain soon and flying to San Francisco around the 17th Jan, flying out again approximately 12 days later. I'm looking at a potential road trip for the hell of it (motorbike, car, donkey, piggy back, pogo stick, don't mind really..) maybe take in the Grand Canyon/Vegas/Yosemite National Park even, though my geography for these parts is a little hazy.

So my question:- anyone wanna come and share the trip? I can cook and share the excitement but I'm boring. Any ideas or suggestions for an itinerary over 10-12 days? Wanna flag us down and share a roadside beer? At this stage it's all unplanned so I can be flexible. Your kinda thing? Give us a shout.. thumbsup.png

--------------------
Woz..

Living on a string of one-way tickets - currently kicking about in: southern Cambodia
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Caro!
post Jan 5 2007, 08:16 PM
Post #2

World Traveler

Group: Members
Member No.: 550
Nominate me as a Local Expert

Once you make it to Vegas, make sure you go to see "O" by Cirque du Soleil. It is expensive, but worth watching.

Caro!

--------------------
Check out my videos and pics!!

The pictures I will proudly show to my offspring

Whatever Lola wants...Lola gets!!!

Happiness is available to anybody, so please help yourself!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
rbisset
post Jan 5 2007, 10:16 PM
Post #3

Planet Pioneer

Member No.: 692

Thought Cirque de Soleil were doing "Love" Beatles thing at the Mirage? They were when I was there.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
wakingdream
post Jan 6 2007, 12:32 AM
Post #4

Rolling Stone

Member No.: 13336

Oh! I wanna go!!!! Really! I do! But, ahh, I can't!! Shoot! I loved San Francisco, for everything wonderful thing it has to offer, it's one of the coolest cities I've been to by far, and have to say it will always be one of my favourites. Scott, the Cheese came into the picture there, on the drive down the Pacific Coast Highway creating a soundtrack to unforgettable memories. Great music, absolutley breathtaking scenery, the salty air, the mesmorising swells of the ocean, the abundant wildlife and just the free spirit flying down the highway all the way to good 'ole San Diego and a final trip into Mexico, enjoying every single minute of it!! I figure there is just so much to do around those parts that you could go on and on, and nothing could really be a bad choice!

--------------------
~Susie

'Yesterday's the past and tomorrow's the future. Today is a gift - which is why they call it the present.'
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
ScottWoz
post Jan 6 2007, 05:50 AM
Post #5

Rolling Stone

Waking,

You've just sold San Fran in a big way. That's a travelogue entry in itself! I'll keep the idea open for now and let the whole thing evolve in a full bloomer. Any more ideas?

--------------------
Woz..

Living on a string of one-way tickets - currently kicking about in: southern Cambodia
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Caro!
post Jan 6 2007, 10:05 AM
Post #6

World Traveler

QUOTE(rbisset @ Jan 5 2007, 10:16 PM) *

Thought Cirque de Soleil were doing "Love" Beatles thing at the Mirage? They were when I was there.

Cirque du Soleil has five shows in Vegas!!

Scott, you could also drive two hours south to Napa Valley, Just beautiful!

Caro!

--------------------

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
rbisset
post Jan 6 2007, 10:22 AM
Post #7

Planet Pioneer

I really wanted to go to San Fran but didn't have the time/money plus I had a flight to Mexico City to catch. Maybe if I go back to the States I'll give it a visit .

There's some topless vampire show at the Stratosphere that looked interesting.....

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
wakingdream
post Jan 6 2007, 03:16 PM
Post #8

Rolling Stone

Okay, well, I've thought on it a bit, and though you'll make your own trip, I thought I'd share some things I really enjoyed about San Fran and also about the drive down the Pacific Coast Highway. Might be a little long, so bear with me!
San Francisco will forever be in my mind, and it's one place I will surely make it back to. Some of the things we both really enjoyed ( and there are loads of things to enjoy there!!) are;
Chinatown( I've visited alot of Chinatown's and this is one of my faves), Bay Aquarium although it is not much compared to the Monterrey Bay Aquarium which had me awestruck, Museum of Modern Art, M.O.A.D., Museum of African Diaspora, Presidio National Park, San Andreas Faultline was neat to see, Lombard Street which is the "crookedest street in the world" and wild to drive on, Golden Gate which is a given, Telegraph Hill where you have the best view of the S.F. Bay Area, Vesuvio's, a famous haunt of the beat generation including dear Jack Kerouac and full of cool memorabilia from back then(visit in the day to get the full feel as it's really crowded at night), Haight-Ashbury was a big thing for us b/c of the music and artists of that time, Angel Island State Park, North Beach and basically we saw a ton of live music shows so check your lsistings b/c there is sure to be a band you love or at least like that's playing as the music scene is full force here and I could go on but you get the point! It is howvere, also quite expensive in California so doing some research is a good idea, but I'm sure you're way ahead of me there.
Day trips to;
Muir Woods with it's massive coastal redwoods is a definite must-see, but you can see the redwoods in some other areas as well. Monterrey and Carmel-By-The-Sea was the area where my cousin was married and is really, really beautiful as well. A wine country tour to Napa or wherever, take your pick as there are tons and a wine tour is a surefire way to spend a day or 4!!
We toured south from San Fran and drove through to S.D. A motorcycle ride would be a dream here as long as your not nervous about plunging coastlines! We toured down through Monterrey and Carmel, Santa Monica, Santa Cruz ( which I wasn't that keen on) Santa Barbara which was phenomenal, Big Sur which you shouldn't miss for all it's natural beauty if your in those parts. It was a highlight for us for sure. Marine Del Ray, Napa Valley, Sonoma County and wine tours. Ventana Wilderness Area which was spectacular and Los Padres National Forest where you can see some giant redwoods as well.
There were other places I would've liked to see, and depending on your interests, there are tons more things to see and do. If you do drive the coast,do not miss the infamous "14 Mile Drive". Sea Lions abound, and all other types of wildlife, the full gammit really, plus absolutely breathtaking scenery is everywhere. It is an assault of beauty on the eyes and sometimes just so unbelievable it's like you're living in a dream!!!
You are going to have so much fun no matter where you go and what you see!!!
Rich, if you get the chance, do go and explore. It was worth every penny, but you're right, a pretty penny it can be!

--------------------
~Susie

'Yesterday's the past and tomorrow's the future. Today is a gift - which is why they call it the present.'
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
rbisset
post Jan 6 2007, 03:35 PM
Post #9

Planet Pioneer

What about Alcatraz?

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
wakingdream
post Jan 6 2007, 03:45 PM
Post #10

Rolling Stone

Well, we were going to go, and it is definitely a huge atrraction, but never quite made it over. My cousin's went and said it was okay, pretty interesting to see inspiring very dark and foreboding feelings of what it was like to be a prisoner there, but not really something to write home about. Ofcourse, that's just their opinion. You can see Alcatraz, a very dark and ominous building, if you walk anywhere near the waterline. I've read some history on it before we went, and I found with the history and just seeing the building itself, that was enough to spark my imagination, though when we go back I think we'll likely check it out.

--------------------
~Susie

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
ScottWoz
post Jan 15 2007, 06:31 PM
Post #11

Rolling Stone

Hi guys,

Just wanted to thank you for all the tips and pointers. There has been a lot to consider and I can't see me fitting it all in, especially as directions and suggestions can change so easily at a moments notice. I head out tomorrow and I've decided just to roll with the flow as always. It's worked quite well so far.

I'll be on and around less frequent and more randomly for a while, so just wanted to wish you well for the time being and I'll hopefully see you around or on the road.

Thanks again and be well - wherever you are.. thumbsup.png

--------------------
Woz..

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
whereshegoes
post Jan 15 2007, 06:56 PM
Post #12

Journeyer

Member No.: 5

Have a FANTASTIC ride! I wish you only the best interactions and connections on this next part of your great adventure.

And WELCOME to North America! Yay!!!! Scott gets closer!

And remember what I told you about customs...just tell them you don't know anything and then twitch your head and look around all paranoid like. Offer them some marmite and jelly filled rice cakes. And tell them you are a professional belly button lint picker. They like that one. Then ask them if you can show them your "skills"...because we all know customs agents like travelers who have "skills"

Enjoy and be safe!
hug.gif

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Caro!
post Jan 15 2007, 08:34 PM
Post #13

World Traveler

jajajajajaja, I can just see it. If he says that he probably get arrested, but the belly thing was just hilarious!!!

Caro!

p.s: Happy Travels!!

--------------------

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
ScottWoz
post Jan 18 2007, 01:05 PM
Post #14

Rolling Stone

Cheers guys,

I made it. Just. Customs wasn't too bad, though he insisted on seeing my onward ticket which I didn't have. It was only when I heard the glove snap around his wrist that I suddenly remembered where I'd put it. Close call.. blink.gif

Just off to soak up the city.

Catch yers..

--------------------
Woz..

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
whereshegoes
post Jan 19 2007, 03:04 PM
Post #15

Journeyer

Member No.: 5

Nothing like a little drama, huh?

Glad to see you made it all ok! Now go out there and make some stories!

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th July 2014 - 12:23 AM
Top Hotel Destinations in USA

Albuquerque Hotels
Anaheim Hotels
Atlanta Hotels
Austin Hotels
Boston Hotels
Branson Hotels
Charlotte Hotels
Chicago Hotels
Columbus Hotels
Dallas Hotels
Denver Hotels
Fort Lauderdale Hotels
Honolulu Hotels
Houston Hotels
Indianapolis Hotels
Jacksonville Hotels
Kansas City Hotels
Kissimmee Hotels
Las Vegas Hotels
Los Angeles Hotels
Memphis Hotels
Miami Hotels
Miami Beach Hotels
Myrtle Beach Hotels
Nashville Hotels
New Orleans Hotels
New York City Hotels
Orlando Hotels
Philadelphia Hotels
Phoenix Hotels
Portland Hotels
Saint Louis Hotels
San Antonio Hotels
San Diego Hotels
San Francisco Hotels
Scottsdale Hotels
Seattle Hotels
Tampa Hotels
Tucson Hotels
Washington DC Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.