Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How to spend 9 days in the Northern US, Advice appreciated for a holiday (vacation) centred in Chicago
robinmichel
post May 23 2011, 11:49 AM
Post #1

Wanderer

Group: Members
Member No.: 276897
Nominate me as a Local Expert

Fantastic summary from Corinne, thank you.

A strange combination of late night TV in the UK (a documentary regarding the architecture of Chicago, signed for the deaf), the sights of "Source Code" at the cinema + fond memories of band of the same name has made me book 9 days in Chicago next month.

I'm definitely doing the River Tour, free stuff and Starved Rock State Park. I rather fancy a day on 'the beach' too.

I thought a drive up to Green Bay along the lake shore road might be fun too perhaps returning via Madison perhaps over 4 days or so.

Roadside America looks like a great resource, but does this sound like a decent plan, or would people go off in a different direction altogether.

Thanks in anticipation
Robin
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
corinneconley
post May 23 2011, 01:24 PM
Post #2

Expeditionist

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 638491

Great itinerary! I think it is great that you are venturing out of the city a bit, and Starved Rock is a perfect way to see some nature. People get stuck in the idea of staying in Downtown Chicago and miss a lot. Starting soon Chicago has a lot of street festivals so you should look at what is happening in the area.

If you enjoy driving, the Green Bay/Madison route could be nice. I would check to see if there are specific things you want to do at each destinations. Both wonderful cities with some nice things to see, but comparatively small. If you do go that way, possibly stop in Milwaukee as well. That seems like a large chunk out of your trip for that excursion though, so look into it. I've actually done some short roadtrips in that area with roadside america, and there are some fun random places to visit. You'd have to overshoot Madison a bit, but House on the Rock is a cool place to visit.

Let me know if you have any more questions!

If you want more recommendations, let me know more about what you like to do when you travel and I'd be happy to share more!

--------------------
Recent Trips:
New Trails: Buffalo National River

Upcoming Trips:
Oceanside, California (August)
Las Vegas, Nevada (October)
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st August 2014 - 05:17 PM
Top Hotel Destinations

Acapulco Hotels
Atlanta Hotels
Austin Hotels
Beijing Hotels
Cancun Hotels
Charlotte Hotels
Chicago Hotels
Dallas Hotels
Denver Hotels
Honolulu Hotels
Houston Hotels
Indianapolis Hotels
Kissimmee Hotels
Las Vegas Hotels
London Hotels
Los Angeles Hotels
Mexico City Hotels
Miami Hotels
Miami Beach Hotels
Montreal Hotels
Myrtle Beach Hotels
Nashville Hotels
Negril Hotels
New Orleans Hotels
New York City Hotels
Orlando Hotels
Paris Hotels
Phoenix Hotels
Playa del Carmen Hotels
Puerto Plata Hotels
Puerto Vallarta Hotels
Punta Cana Hotels
Rome Hotels
San Antonio Hotels
San Diego Hotels
San Francisco Hotels
Seattle Hotels
Tampa Hotels
Toronto Hotels
Washington DC Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.