Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Havant to Swindon, Cheap Train Tickets
doddzy
post Sep 4 2009, 03:03 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 321851
Nominate me as a Local Expert

Hey,

I'm fairly new to this so sorry for any mistakes.

I was just looking at the National Express Train Tickets as I need a cheap ticket from Havant to Swindon. I am aware of the reductions you can get for booking in advance. However, I can't seem to get round the cheapest ticket being 40. Does this amount seem about right? The road distance is 90 miles and it takes around 1:45 hours by car, 2:30-3:00 hours on the train (apparently). I really don't fancy paying 40 as it is only around 30 at the very most for petrol and it is a lot quicker to use a car.

Could anyone please confirm for me that the cheapest ticket from Havant to Swindon by train is 40?

Thanks,
Nathan smile.gif
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
sianeth
post Sep 4 2009, 03:16 PM
Post #2

Jet Setter

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 60100

Hey Nathan,

I guess it depends when you want to go and times of trains etc. I just had a look and if you're flexible enough to book trains with set times then you can buy two singles for about 16 each way, so ~32 return - however they only seem to offer these fares on trains at certain times, so its worth having a good search.

If you're 16-25 you can get a young persons railcard which would take a third off the price of this fare and any future fares. Otherwise I think you're right, 40 is probably the lowest fare, which is a complete rip off! If you do have access to a car then I'd suggest you drive... probably less than 30 in petrol aswell I'd think...
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
doddzy
post Sep 4 2009, 03:21 PM
Post #3

AH! I am between 16-25! (17) so that would mean.. (superior Math skills kicking in..) around 26.50? Could you possibly tell me how i can get hold of one of these cards? Thank you so much for your help so far biggrin.gif

Nathan
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
sianeth
post Sep 4 2009, 03:33 PM
Post #4

Jet Setter

Well, you can buy one online - 16-25 Railcard... but obviously its only worth it if you're planning on using the train a few times... maths wink.gif

I got a 5 year one free when I opened a student bank account (HSBC/Natwest) and it saved me heaps of money... here's the link: Natwest Student Account - I don't know if you're a student and you'd be eligible for one? Worth a look though!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
doddzy
post Sep 4 2009, 03:39 PM
Post #5

Well, at the price of 26 for a card, i'd save my money's worth within 2 trips smile.gif and i'd do a lot more than 2 trips per year. Yes, also I am a sudent and so I shall definately take a look at the student account.

Thankyou ever so ever so ever so much for your help! You really don't know how much this has helped! smile.gif Very much appreciated!

Nathan smile.gif
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
sianeth
post Sep 4 2009, 03:49 PM
Post #6

Jet Setter

No worries... give us a shout if there's anything else smile.gif
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2014 - 08:43 AM
Top Hotel Destinations

Acapulco Hotels
Atlanta Hotels
Austin Hotels
Beijing Hotels
Cancun Hotels
Charlotte Hotels
Chicago Hotels
Dallas Hotels
Denver Hotels
Honolulu Hotels
Houston Hotels
Indianapolis Hotels
Kissimmee Hotels
Las Vegas Hotels
London Hotels
Los Angeles Hotels
Mexico City Hotels
Miami Hotels
Miami Beach Hotels
Montreal Hotels
Myrtle Beach Hotels
Nashville Hotels
Negril Hotels
New Orleans Hotels
New York City Hotels
Orlando Hotels
Paris Hotels
Phoenix Hotels
Playa del Carmen Hotels
Puerto Plata Hotels
Puerto Vallarta Hotels
Punta Cana Hotels
Rome Hotels
San Antonio Hotels
San Diego Hotels
San Francisco Hotels
Seattle Hotels
Tampa Hotels
Toronto Hotels
Washington DC Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.