Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What not to miss in Thailand?, TravelPod Question of the Month
whereshegoes
post Feb 27 2006, 01:45 PM
Post #1

Journeyer

Group: Members
Member No.: 5
Nominate me as a Local Expert

As our featured destination this month is Thailand, we would like to compile a list of your favorite things to do and see in this lovely locale.

What should not be missed on a trip to Thailand?

--------------------
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Scott Whittman
post Feb 27 2006, 07:57 PM
Post #2

Unregistered

Thong Nai Pan Yai, Koh Pha-Ngan, Gulf of Thailand

Koh Pha-Ngan, with it's massive, mind-blowing full moon parties wouldn't seem like a place to get away from it all, but travel to the NE part of the island and you will enjoy romantic, blissful seclusion and a friendly community of beach lovers.

Read about some crazy *bleep* that happened to me, in Thailand, here:

http://thehollywoodmachine.blogspot.com/20...for-whitey.html
+Quote Post
Barrett
post Mar 1 2006, 11:17 PM
Post #3

Nomad

Member No.: 423

Yay! for featuring Thailand in our first revamped newsletter!! What a great location. I would say don't miss the Grand Palace in Bangkok. Its way over the top as an attraction. Take a lot of time to study the inside of the walls which ring the compound. The entire Ramayana story, which weaves its way through all of Asia, is there in visual. Really something special that people who only look at the buildings and the monks miss.

Also, I would say for anyone with any interest in history go to the Bridge over the River Kwai and to the JEATH memorial commemorating all those who lost their lives building the jungle trail from Thailand to Burma. The cemetaries, the bridge, the memorial, it all leaves you speechless and gives a deep feeling to the facts and figures we read about WWII.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
whereshegoes
post Mar 2 2006, 03:35 PM
Post #4

Journeyer

Has anyone been to one of these Full Moon parties that we always hear about? What is it like? Where does it take place? What is the signifigance of it?

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
whereshegoes
post Mar 8 2006, 10:55 AM
Post #5

Journeyer

Here is another thread with some GREAT tips for travel to Thailand....check it out:

Thailand Thread

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Guest_Paul_*
post Mar 21 2006, 11:40 AM
Post #6

Unregistered

Monk Chat at the Buddhist University in Chiang Mai shouldn't be missed. It is a chance for the monks to speak foreign languages and for you to ask about Thailand, Buddhism, the war in Iraq or whatever.
+Quote Post
beardsley
post Mar 21 2006, 06:59 PM
Post #7

Drifter

Member No.: 293

I really enjoyed Sukothai, the red laterite sculptures and monuments are pretty impressive, It isn't Angkor Wat awe inspiring but it is very beautiful. I just wish I had gotten there earlier in the morning when there are less people and the light is better. The town is fun and has a nice bunch of cafes, 2 very good seafood places near the night market, mussels with basil... Man is it great! Fried fish topped w/pork sounds odd but is excellent. Another place called Thai Noodles Sukhothai 2 has the best kuay tiaw sukhothai... I still love the diving in Thailand, even if all you do is a fun dive, between the Similans and Ko Tao you can find good diving just about any time of the year. One other thing, I am not too happy with the way most of the elephants are treated, but a short ride through the jungle on top of an elephant is an experience you will never forget!

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Hmm... Never tried the Add into post feature, wonder how this will look...

--------------------
If you aren't sure where you are trying to go, it is a lot easier to get there.

Visit my Travel page here!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
zzz_massagelondon
post Mar 30 2006, 11:24 AM
Post #8

Explorer

From: http://massagelondon.org THAI MASSAGE LONDON MEDICINE SALON STUDIO HEALTH THERAPY CENTRE WARSZAWA
Member No.: 180

doi inthanon national park with a highest peak in thailand (2 500m, part of the Himalaya Ridge). You can go to the top by car. There are several viewing points on the way up as well as waterfalls and even 2 temples. It's about 70km west of chang mai.

bangkok canals and floating markets are nice as well

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Pam
post Apr 3 2006, 12:35 AM
Post #9

Unregistered

Chiang Mai is one of the most accesible cities I've ever visited. Small enough to learn in a few days but big enough to get yourself lost on foot searching for that next Wat or the best place to view local artisians at work. You can catch a Tuk for 50-100 Baht almost any time of day or night. The cheapest getting around are the pickup trucks that accomodate multiple passengers...20 baht for almost any destination within a few miles. Don't miss the hussle bussle of Waroot market area for fresh fruit and a more localized shopping experience than the "night market." There are also evening markets near Chiang Mai Gate that attract loads of entertainers, artist and craft people. These have become something of a happening even for Thais and so you can mingle with Thai families and young people out for a good time. It's a university town and I found some delicious eats over that way (away from the night market) where the food was served outdoors under trees while all drank large beer over ice. Not a single tourist in this place but me. You just have to be willing to explore and not have an agenda. I recommend riding the public transport to regional spots like Chiang Rai and Pai. The public transit is an experience in itself and gets you away from the tour phenomenon. I also found one of the best massage place on the planet called Lek Chaiya Nerve Touch Massage near Thapae Gate. Their massages are 550-750 Baht...about $15 dollars which is expensive on Thai standards...but they are truly life changing if you have them over a week or two you body starts to feel completely rejuvenated. And stop by for a bowl of Koh Soi, the standard dish of the north, at the open restaurant near the corner. They also have killer fruit drinks all fresh and made on the spot. I met lots of European and other travelers of interest and did some lovingly taught yoga at Yoga Sala within the Old City. I recommend the Chiang Mai Thai House for a wonderful, clean guest house near the center of town...we paid $25 a night for two full beds, TV, A/C, a patio, pool...and it's very clean and new. The have cheaper rooms, too. You can, however, opt for a simpler, slightly older guest house for as little as 250 baht a night...that's $5. I also recommend the Elephant Conservation Center near Hang Dong for a less commercial, more elephant centered place to meet and ride elephants...gracious animals that they are. There are lots of ways to visit Thailand but Chiang Mai is among the most spiritual and approachable cities on earth if you appreciate cultural exploration you will find plenty to do and see in the north. If you just want to get overyly drunk and make a fool of yourself, there are probably better places...like the beaches or Bangkok. The Thai people are utterly respectful by character and I ask everyone who goes there to try to return this courtesy.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Paul
post May 14 2007, 09:39 PM
Post #10

Navigator

Member No.: 98

Shouldn't miss out on "normal" Thailand. Visit a Thai home or family, or a small non - tourist trail town, or ask to go with someone to visit their family or village.
You won't find much English but you find people that are really relaxed and welcoming and will be happy to share whatever they have. And they will smile and laugh (at or with you???) a lot while stuffing you full of Thai food.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
thellie
post May 16 2007, 08:11 AM
Post #11

Pathfinder

Member No.: 13877

i loved the diving course i took on koh tao (new heaven dive school). it was terrifying yet utterly life changing, and gave me the greatest challenge in my life for many years. the waters around koh yang nuan off koh tao are unbelievable. i saw stingrays, 'nemo' fish, moray eels, angelfish, porcupine fish, groupers, triggerfish, crown of thorns and tons of stunning sights.

bangkok around songkran was amazing fun, so if possible visit during mid april. wat pho in the city houses the reclining buddha which is a sight to behold - 46m in length and 15m high of gold leafed buddha.

as for the full moon party, i had a great (if somewhat blankspot ridden) time at my first one. for various reasons, the following one was anticlimatical... here's my journal on the first:
full moon party

you can check out other entries to see where else i've been in my, so far, two months.

next up is travelling to chiang rai to stay at MAF, courtesy of paul's invaluable help and support... one month there, before i sojourn to korea for 5 weeks to see a friend, and then i'm back to thailand and pastures new...
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
wakingdream
post Jan 28 2009, 09:56 PM
Post #12

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 13336

QUOTE(Paul @ May 14 2007, 09:39 PM) *

Shouldn't miss out on "normal" Thailand. Visit a Thai home or family, or a small non - tourist trail town, or ask to go with someone to visit their family or village.
You won't find much English but you find people that are really relaxed and welcoming and will be happy to share whatever they have. And they will smile and laugh (at or with you???) a lot while stuffing you full of Thai food.

I think that's probably the one thing most people don't do yet it's the most rewarding.
I realized that I got laughed at sometimes but in a good way. I think! smile.gif I'm pretty sure.

--------------------
~Susie

'Yesterday's the past and tomorrow's the future. Today is a gift - which is why they call it the present.'
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
garry001
post Jan 31 2009, 09:28 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 252445

QUOTE(frank_bkk @ Jan 30 2009, 11:17 AM) *

Don't miss Mae Salong (Chiang Rai)

People going to ko phangan would like to warn traveller friend that there is no law down there.
So dont get yourself in trouble with the Thais Nobody would be able to help you and there is no police only thing available is Drugs.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
lunthom
post May 3 2009, 08:05 PM
Post #14

Nomad

Member No.: 103052

everywhere .
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
ScottWoz
post May 3 2009, 11:04 PM
Post #15

Rolling Stone

Member No.: 124

I'll second that..

--------------------
Woz..

Living on a string of one-way tickets - currently kicking about in: southern Cambodia
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
monthathip
post Jun 8 2009, 06:31 AM
Post #16

Nomad

Member No.: 2783

during songkran festival i think everywhere is fun
and the other time of the year is around loykrathong (November ) with nice wethers ,climbing mountain and enjoy some of the festival in north or northest

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2014 - 04:22 PM
Top Hotel Destinations in Thailand

Ayutthaya Hotels
Bangkok Hotels
Cha-am Hotels
Chaweng Hotels
Chiang Mai Hotels
Chiang Rai Hotels
Chon Buri Hotels
Hat Yai Hotels
Hua Hin Hotels
Kanchanaburi Hotels
Kathu Hotels
Khao Lak Hotels
Khon Kaen Hotels
Ko Lanta Hotels
Ko Phangan Hotels
Ko Phi Phi Don Hotels
Ko Tao Hotels
Krabi Hotels
Lampang Hotels
Loei Hotels
Mae Hong Son Hotels
Nakorn Ratchasima Hotels
Nakorn Si Thammarat Hotels
Narathiwat Hotels
Nonthaburi Hotels
Pai Hotels
Patong Hotels
Pattaya Hotels
Phangnga Hotels
Phetchaburi Hotels
Phitsanulok Hotels
Rawai Hotels
Rayong Hotels
Songkhla Hotels
Sukhothai Hotels
Surat Thani Hotels
Tak Hotels
Trang Hotels
Trat Hotels
Udon Thani Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.