Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Help Me With Ideas for my Birthday!
loolie
post May 29 2009, 06:30 PM
Post #1

Drifter

Group: Members
Member No.: 279418

Sooo...my birthday is coming up next Sunday (June 7th) and I'd like to do something fun with a few friends. I'm having problems coming up with ideas though! I'm from South-western Ontario (Brantford, to be exact) and I'm looking for something fun to do for the day. I don't mind driving a few hours away for something awesome, even if it means driving overnight to come home. Probably wouldn't want to stay overnight anywhere, unless we'd have to. I should also mention that we're looking to celebrate on Saturday, June 6th since this works out a bit better for everyone.

The only ideas I have so far are:

- Going to Wasaga Beach for the day (but it might not be hot enough outside yet)
- Going shopping in Toronto for the day (but kinda boring, we do this all the time)

The types of things that I like are: Spending time outdoors, seeing new things, nature (but not camping), walking, road trip, history/museums (but maybe something a little more up-beat for a birthday instead of this), shopping, vegetarian restaurants, yoga/exercise, I'm pretty open to any new ideas!

Probably wouldn't want to go to an amusement park (like Wonderland) either since we've done this many times in the past.

If you can think of any suggestions for me, that would be wonderful! Help me! I should mention I'm turning 27 years old, to give you an idea of how old I am! smile.gif

--------------------
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
loolie
post May 29 2009, 10:09 PM
Post #2

Drifter

OMG haha I would probably never ever go sky diving or bungee jumping! A little too adventurous for me! I do have friends that go though & love it, I don't know if that is something I will ever try smile.gif

Wow...a hot air balloon flight, that sounds amazing! Hope you have an excellent time!

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
aopaq
post May 30 2009, 02:33 AM
Post #3

Tripper

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 893

Something that is not too extreme and what I have always wanted to try is going in one of those field mazes but it seems that in Ontario they are all in corn fields and they don't open until near the end of July. But maybe you can find one that is not a corn one and so already open??

Another option, if you are into it, is paintball and I just read a decent review of the GroundZero site in Gananoque which isn't extremely far from Brantford. I have also never tried this and I have heard it is fun if you are into this type of activity.

Just some thoughts I thought I would pass on......
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Jun 1 2009, 12:26 PM
Post #4

Rolling Stone

Member No.: 103914

Loolie, come to Ottawa! It's only a five hour drive, plus you could couchsurf at my place. The Magnetic North theatre festival will be going on all weekend, you should come.

If that's too far, why not try Kingston? It's kind of a neat little historical city with a fort. I went hiking around there before, it was alright.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
sianeth
post Jun 1 2009, 02:05 PM
Post #5

Jet Setter

Member No.: 60100

QUOTE(tiger_lily @ May 30 2009, 01:36 PM) *

Ive always wanted to play paintball but my husband went on camp with work (he is military) and they played paintball. He started to get right into it and jumped over a log but clipped it and landed on his elbow and dislocated it.

An operation, 2 weeks off work and numerous months of physiotheraphy has now turned him off the game. lol

Its true, paintball = PAINtball... usually from the massive bruises from being shot though! Afraid to say it just doesn't appeal to me at all because of that.

I would definitely get a bouncy castle in my back garden, have my friends over for jelly and ice cream and just pretend I was turning 12 or something biggrin.gif
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
aopaq
post Jun 1 2009, 06:23 PM
Post #6

Tripper

QUOTE(sianeth @ Jun 1 2009, 03:05 PM) *

I would definitely get a bouncy castle in my back garden, have my friends over for jelly and ice cream and just pretend I was turning 12 or something biggrin.gif

Hahaha...great idea! But don't forget the clown!! punk.gif
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
sianeth
post Jun 3 2009, 11:35 AM
Post #7

Jet Setter

Okay... start him off on Laser Quest, then maybe he will get a taste for it. I did paintball without the paint once, thats what put me off, maybe its more fun covered in paint!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
aopaq
post Jun 3 2009, 10:28 PM
Post #8

Tripper

QUOTE(sianeth @ Jun 3 2009, 12:35 PM) *

Okay... start him off on Laser Quest, then maybe he will get a taste for it. I did paintball without the paint once, thats what put me off, maybe its more fun covered in paint!

I like the Laser Quest idea.....that must be pretty fun too (without the PAIN).

But how do you do paintball without the paint??? What do you use instead of paint?

Seeing as loolie must have almost decided now, I hope she lets us know what her final decision was and how it all turned out.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
findingnine
post Jun 3 2009, 10:58 PM
Post #9

Rolling Stone

Member No.: 14300

QUOTE(aopaq @ May 30 2009, 03:33 AM) *

Something that is not too extreme and what I have always wanted to try is going in one of those field mazes but it seems that in Ontario they are all in corn fields and they don't open until near the end of July. But maybe you can find one that is not a corn one and so already open??

Hmm, not so many corn mazes up north? They are more fun in a large group, especially if there is someone you'd like to get lost with.

A little bird told me there is a Beer Festival, Mondial de la Biere, going on in Montreal now through the weekend. As if beer wasn't a good enough draw, the crowd and mingling help that party feeling without going crazy extreme. Old Montreal feels like another country, and can you believe it's taking this long to state the obvious: Poutine!

--------------------
This is all I got.
I couldn't make this up
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
sianeth
post Jun 4 2009, 10:04 AM
Post #10

Jet Setter

QUOTE(aopaq @ Jun 4 2009, 04:28 AM) *

QUOTE(sianeth @ Jun 3 2009, 12:35 PM) *

I like the Laser Quest idea.....that must be pretty fun too (without the PAIN).

But how do you do paintball without the paint??? What do you use instead of paint?

It was just small rubber balls, that left big bruises without all the fun of the paint. Pretty rubbish really!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
loolie
post Jun 5 2009, 01:07 AM
Post #11

Drifter

Well...thank you all for the wonderful ideas! But I doubt I will be doing anything after all sad.gif

Last night my fiance had some pretty terrible stomach pains...which turned into excruciating pains in his lower right abdomen. I rushed him over to the emergency room at the hospital...where he stayed overnight, and finally got in for a CT scan this afternoon. He had to go into surgery to have his appendix removed!

So he will be coming back home tomorrow and it takes a while to recover fully (4-6 weeks I think!) so I will be taking care of him. I know that he will be resting up & stuff, but I definitely wouldn't feel right galavanting all over Ontario for my birthday! I know that he'll probably want me to go out for a little while without him, but it wouldn't be a good birthday without spending it with him.

So I'll probably end up just going to a local pub to have dinner and a few drinks with some friends... but these are all fantastic ideas that I'll have to save up for next year! Or for a random "fake" birthday... that is never out of the question! smile.gif

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
aopaq
post Jun 5 2009, 02:48 AM
Post #12

Tripper

QUOTE(loolie @ Jun 5 2009, 02:07 AM) *

So I'll probably end up just going to a local pub to have dinner and a few drinks with some friends... but these are all fantastic ideas that I'll have to save up for next year! Or for a random "fake" birthday... that is never out of the question! smile.gif

Sorry to hear about your fiance but glad to know everything turned out OK and he is recovering now.

As for "fake" birthdays, the are the best because you never get older no matter how many you have! wink.gif

Here's wishing you a Happy Birthday! drinks.gif
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
sianeth
post Jun 5 2009, 07:55 AM
Post #13

Jet Setter

Oh no sad.gif

Well, on the plus side. Real birthday + fake birthday + post hospital celebrations = three cakes!!!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Jun 5 2009, 08:36 AM
Post #14

Rolling Stone

Awww... sorry to hear that. Get better soon, Poolie!

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
polydemic
post Jun 5 2009, 04:44 PM
Post #15

Tourist

Member No.: 212482

For this time of the year, the beach is a good idea. There are many around the Great Lakes area. If you want to do something unusual, try a nude beach. (We've discussed those a lot in some threads some time ago.)

Another idea may be a boat ride around the Lake. Rent a boat where you can party with friends, while touring the waterfronts of Ontario.

If you have a passport, you could come down to the US; Niagra, Buffalo, or Detroit. Choose a place you've never been before.

Anyway you choose, I wish you a happy weekend.

--------------------
All the earth is my home and each nation a different room in the same house.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
loolie
post Jun 8 2009, 09:23 AM
Post #16

Drifter

Hey everyone! Thanks for your birthday wishes & your thoughts - just an update that Poolie is recovering & healing from the appendix surgery, he's still pretty sore and it's hard for him to get up and move around at all, but he is recovering!

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Jun 8 2009, 10:00 AM
Post #17

Rolling Stone

That's good news *hug*

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st August 2014 - 09:00 AM
Top Hotel Destinations

Acapulco Hotels
Atlanta Hotels
Austin Hotels
Beijing Hotels
Cancun Hotels
Charlotte Hotels
Chicago Hotels
Dallas Hotels
Denver Hotels
Honolulu Hotels
Houston Hotels
Indianapolis Hotels
Kissimmee Hotels
Las Vegas Hotels
London Hotels
Los Angeles Hotels
Mexico City Hotels
Miami Hotels
Miami Beach Hotels
Montreal Hotels
Myrtle Beach Hotels
Nashville Hotels
Negril Hotels
New Orleans Hotels
New York City Hotels
Orlando Hotels
Paris Hotels
Phoenix Hotels
Playa del Carmen Hotels
Puerto Plata Hotels
Puerto Vallarta Hotels
Punta Cana Hotels
Rome Hotels
San Antonio Hotels
San Diego Hotels
San Francisco Hotels
Seattle Hotels
Tampa Hotels
Toronto Hotels
Washington DC Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.