Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

6 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Why people stay away from the USA
starlagurl
post Jun 11 2008, 12:26 PM
Post #41

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 103914

That surprises me, that random shootings are unheard of in Israel? Wha?

--------------------
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
laorfamily
post Jun 13 2008, 04:04 PM
Post #42

Vagabond

Member No.: 30320

QUOTE(starlagurl @ Jun 11 2008, 01:26 PM) *

That surprises me, that random shootings are unheard of in Israel? Wha?

I don't know.

Mind you, I'm not arguing about ethics or morals, I'm just following the facts with an unbiased mind - I'd like to see a gun-free world as well (I'm much better with a sword).

I find this example from the book "Freakonomics" amazing:

"In a given year, there is one drowning of a child for every 11,000 residential pools in the United States. In a country with 6 million pools, this means that roughly 550 children under the age of ten drown each year. Meanwhile, there is 1 child killed by a gun for every 1 million-plus guns. In a country with an estimated 200 million guns, this means that roughly 175 children under ten die each year from guns. The likelihood of death by pool (1 in 11,000) versus death by gun (1 in a million plus) isn't even close: Molly is roughly 100 times more likely to die in a swimming pool accident at Suzy's house than in gunplay at Rick's."

--------------------
Living Well Is The Best Revenge

Going Down South to North Carolina
Book Reviews: http://www.ManOfLaBook.com
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
mmbcross
post Jun 14 2008, 06:46 PM
Post #43

Tripper

Member No.: 2195

I believe that, but the 175 children under ten that die each year from guns is unacceptable. The roughly 550 children under the age of ten that drown each year in swimming pools is also unacceptable. In both cases it shows a parent's total irresponsibility. In both cases the parents should not have the gun or the pool if they cannot protect their children and should be tried for negligent homicide (gross negligence manslaughter in the UK). This occurs where there is no intention to kill or cause serious injury but death is due to recklessness or criminal negligence.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Jun 16 2008, 08:43 AM
Post #44

Rolling Stone

Kids usually drown because they are not educated... they don't know how to swim...

Kids usually die by gun because they are innocent bystanders, or someone else made a stupid mistake... also lack of education...

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
darrenstravels
post Jun 16 2008, 01:19 PM
Post #45

Tourist

Group: Members
Member No.: 167016

I've been to the states quite a few times now, to numerous places each time. Even had the fortune to study there for a couple of semesters a few years ago.

Can understand why some are very negative about the place, whether it be the horrible immigration system or its politics....however I don't agree with the politics of many countries I've been too, but I don't let it affect my decision to go someplace. If it looks like an interesting place, and it's within my budget, I'll go. The thought of crime, education, or what it's politicians are like play no part in my decision really.

My sole reason for not going to the USA again anytime soon is simply that I've more of the world to see first. Thats it. I've had a great time there each trip, the majority of the people were really good to me and there is so, so many places to see it's somewhere I'm drawn to time and time again.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Jun 16 2008, 01:50 PM
Post #46

Rolling Stone

Yeah, I agree with you darren. My reason for traveling to the states a lot in the next few years is because I want to see the states. That's it!

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Paul
post Jun 19 2008, 04:22 AM
Post #47

Navigator

Member No.: 98

This is in the Australian news today and perhaps is another good example of why people stay away from USA:

"An Australian woman has told how her trip to the United States became holiday hell when a visa mix-up landed her in a detention camp.

Laura McKenzie spent weeks in legal limbo before being freed, and can't come home until she's faced an American court.

She started in the Canadian snowfields before crossing the border for what was meant to be a six week tour of the United States.

But her holiday ended on a bus trip in Texas when she was arrested by an immigration officer for overstaying her tourist visa.

She spent three weeks in custody, was moved from one cell to another, without being allowed to call home, before ending up in a detention centre on the US-Mexico border.

Laura's mistake was a technical one. Her six-month US visa officially started when she touched down in Hawaii on her way to Canada, and unknown to her, by the time she returned to America, her visa was just days away from expiring. But immigration still let her in.

Laura's mother Anne flew to America to fight to free her daughter. So far, it has cost the family $15,000.

Laura is now out on bail, accused of being in America illegally.

She is not allowed to leave until a court hearing in a month."

Who has heard of the term "Zenophobia"?
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
laorfamily
post Jun 19 2008, 08:39 AM
Post #48

Vagabond

Member No.: 30320

This is what happened when you take people who royally screw up, give them a raise and federal authority (talking about the people working at the airports).

SNL had a great skit on it.

--------------------
Living Well Is The Best Revenge

Going Down South to North Carolina
Book Reviews: http://www.ManOfLaBook.com
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Jun 19 2008, 10:05 AM
Post #49

Rolling Stone

Wow...that really really sucks...I guess she had some sort of layover in Hawaii? Total jerks...

and yeah, I saw that skit: "What about a roast beef sandwich with gravy? Is that a liquid?"

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
zijuzijazijana
post Dec 23 2008, 04:45 PM
Post #50

Drifter

Member No.: 254315

QUOTE(starlagurl @ Apr 8 2008, 09:58 AM) *

This kind of goes with that notorious post on boycotting countries....

Overseas arrivals in the U.S. have declined 11 per cent this decade, from 26 million in 2000 to 23 million in 2007. That's all happening while the travel industry as a whole grows 6 per cent per year!

From declining travel visas, to only-English signs in abundance, it seems that visiting the states is getting more and more difficult. Especially for people who are not from the list of 29 countries whose residents can visit the US without a visa. For some perspective, Canada's list is 50 countries long. In theory, it's easier for a Mexican resident to visit Europe, than it is for him/her to visit the US. It's completely astounding!

The declining dollar is supposed to bring more tourism, and I wonder if it really will. Especially with an attitude like this.

What do you think? Are Americans too mean for international tourism? Even though it's a beautiful country, is the red tape and crass attitude getting in the way?

When you hear all that bad news about the American economy, it seems that tourism should be something they should be embracing. I think it's time to change some tourism policies, no?

Link to the World Hum article that inspired me.

Hi,
There is a lot of reasons for American Tourism to decline.It's very easy to come up with a few of them just reading blogs of people who are travelers.Generally speaking America became less save for the money .There is a lot of advertising about cheap prices but they are only cheap to Americans.I myself don't like to pick cheap deals cause they are not worth it,if I don't have enough money to go to the place I want to go and have fun there I simply don't go.I travel cheap only in emergency cases.

The American attitude is another thing but it all depends where and what the situation is all about.Don't talk about American attitude to me cause I have lived through hell and I didn't harm no one yet.I'm an American citizen who lives in Poland now and every idiot here wants to make me humble for no appearent reason.Who gives them permission and why to assault Americans?As I have mentioned in my other comment I almost lost my life just extending my passport.Anyone who is from USA and travels outside the country needs to realize that he or she is in danger,just owning American Passport is dangerous.Why to go then?Unless someone needs to have a trill and wants danger in life.There is a lot of travel agencies at fault,they will not tell the truth and that's how it starts.
Money as always is the subject.America is not cheap,so why to make it a cheap deal for someone who will come over and will have to go right back and will cause a lot of trouble?
Than there is this denial some people live in,they don't want to faze the fact that they can't afford American trip,they need to be informed about all the costs and if it's necessary someone needs to stop them from going.There is so many cheap places to go in the world and they could be beautiful but question is who wants to go there?Americans are being hated across the world for the way they are.I certainly will not change my attitute for no one,I'm free,I'm American.You don't like it take a hike.
Aha, about the tourism in America it's not as bad as you thing but for the rest of the world it is.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Dec 24 2008, 08:36 AM
Post #51

Rolling Stone

QUOTE(zijuzijazijana @ Dec 23 2008, 04:45 PM) *

Why to go then? Unless someone needs to have a trill and wants danger in life.

Are you saying you think America is dangerous for tourists?

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
skylab
post Dec 24 2008, 08:54 AM
Post #52

World Traveler

Member No.: 228012

QUOTE(starlagurl @ Dec 24 2008, 08:36 AM) *

I think he or she meant it's dangerous for americans to travel to other countries. Which of course is completely untrue.

International travel might have dropped but domestic tourism is always growing here. It's pretty cheap to travel anywhere within the states and driving across america is pretty common thing to do.

--------------------
DJSkylab.com: My blog :)
ArtOfBackpacking.com: Backpacking Independent International Traveler
Facebook
"They always say time changes things, but you actually have to change them yourself." -Andy Warhol
"My body has certainly wandered a good deal, but I have an uneasy suspicion that my mind has not wandered enough." -Noel Coward
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
mmbcross
post Dec 24 2008, 10:44 AM
Post #53

Tripper

Member No.: 2195

The USA is inexpensive for some (Europeans) and expensive for others. All depends how your currency stands compared to the US$.

One of the most dangerous things about travel to the USA is spending all your money in Wal-Mart to support the Chinese economy.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
zijuzijazijana
post Dec 25 2008, 04:50 AM
Post #54

Drifter

QUOTE(skylab @ Dec 24 2008, 08:54 AM) *

QUOTE(starlagurl @ Dec 24 2008, 08:36 AM) *

I think he or she meant it's dangerous for americans to travel to other countries. Which of course is completely untrue.

International travel might have dropped but domestic tourism is always growing here. It's pretty cheap to travel anywhere within the states and driving across america is pretty common thing to do.

That's exactly what I ment travel outside of USA is dangerous for americans.I know what I'm talking about I'm outside of US and I'm going non-stop throught insults and danger for simple fact that I'm american and I'm not hiding it.
As far as travel in USA it's not cheap at all,it may be a common thing to do but it's not cheap.
For example in year 2000 I went across USA,from Clearwater in Florida to Las Vegas in Nevada and i stayed there for about a month with one companion.This trip cost us $10,000 if you call it cheap than you must have a lot of money but for an everage person it's very expensive.

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
skylab
post Dec 26 2008, 08:58 AM
Post #55

World Traveler

QUOTE(zijuzijazijana @ Dec 25 2008, 04:50 AM) *
That's exactly what I ment travel outside of USA is dangerous for americans.I know what I'm talking about I'm outside of US and I'm going non-stop throught insults and danger for simple fact that I'm american and I'm not hiding it.
As far as travel in USA it's not cheap at all,it may be a common thing to do but it's not cheap.
For example in year 2000 I went across USA,from Clearwater in Florida to Las Vegas in Nevada and i stayed there for about a month with one companion.This trip cost us $10,000 if you call it cheap than you must have a lot of money but for an everage person it's very expensive.

10,000 / 30... That's $333 DOLLARS a DAY. Did you stay in a hotel? If so.. THATS WHY. Stay in a hotel in Paris and you will find hotels are just as expensive as Vegas, NYC, Miami, etc. With 10,000 in a month, you can buy a house, a car, and pay all bills in the USA - so I'm not sure what kind of vacation you're on but that's a lot of money to be spending for only one month. Even if you were to split 10,000 between two people - 5,000 each... That's still crazy. I don't even spend that much in my own 1,000 square feet apartment next to NYC, when I had a car, all bills, food, and everything else.

Also - add the fact that the USA has a HUGE economy. Although our dollar is going down, it's still strong compaired to the rest of the world. When our economy goes down, so does everyone else's because everyone depends on us the same way we are depending on everyone else.

Do you know how dollars go up in value? When a dollar is strong - it means there's more jobs, more people buying things, and more people spending. So when you think about it if you lived IN the united states, it's not a lot of money for us to travel.

Stop trying to scare people to stay away from our country. It's a beautiful country and you're giving it a bad name. YOU are the reason traveling has decreased because people have this false illusion of us.

--------------------
Facebook
"They always say time changes things, but you actually have to change them yourself." -Andy Warhol
"My body has certainly wandered a good deal, but I have an uneasy suspicion that my mind has not wandered enough." -Noel Coward
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Paul
post Dec 26 2008, 09:46 AM
Post #56

Navigator

Yeah, I think no. 1 reason people stay away is the cost.

For many the USA is expensive. As you say, it is probably similar to Paris or something. But for many people that is out of reach, or when compared to other options, doesn't look like good value for money.

Then secondly, the USA does a really really bad job of advertising itself. We hardly ever hear or see adverts for the diverse USA environment and National Parks. Hardly ever see about what is available for tourists, etc. USA as a tourist destination, at least in things I read and look at, just isn't advertised, or not very well. So, there seems no reason to go there.

Then, on top of all that, you get the restrictive visa rules, the feeling that perhaps the place is unsafe or violent, the arsehole customs attitude and rules,...all the other bits and pieces.
All that stuff just finishes off the USA as a potential destination.

So; if the USA wants tourism (and I'm not convinced it does), it needs to be less restrictive, lighten up the short term visa rules, stop doing anal probes on people visiting, make up some cheap packages - a really cheap bus that travels across the USA, visiting main sites or something like that - and then advertise it. Put pictures in magazines etc of some of the sights,.... I think this is all pretty basic stuff that places that want tourism do. The USA doesn't. - Oh, actually that isn't true - Hawaii does it a lot and quite well. Continental USA doesn't do it.

Its a shame. Perhaps some tourism could help break down the prejudices that exist (both within the USA and from outsiders).
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
skylab
post Dec 26 2008, 09:57 AM
Post #57

World Traveler

Great post Paul! You had some awesome points there! The only widely used advertising I hear is Disney World which is internationally known.

The bus system is the WORST here.

--------------------
Facebook
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Paul
post Dec 26 2008, 10:23 AM
Post #58

Navigator

Yeah Disney World is a point. I don't see it advertised, but it is well known. There are other places like the Grand Canyon that are well known too I suppose. And NYC in itself is another. I am sure if I went into a travel agent, they'd have pictures and trips that go to those places.

But I reckon so much more could be done.

Oh - one thing that is done and is a positive, the Camp USA thing. That gets lots of young travellers into the USA. That sort of stuff is a great idea and I think that sort of concept could be expanded upon.

(But again, please make the customs officials understand the war on terror isn't real, it is only a political thing to get votes - they don't need to be such wankers)
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
skylab
post Dec 26 2008, 11:14 AM
Post #59

World Traveler

What happend to the
"All your dreams can come true" in nyc
and "magical wonderland" for disney world?
lol noone says that anymore about us!

--------------------
Facebook
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
zijuzijazijana
post Dec 27 2008, 06:16 AM
Post #60

Drifter

QUOTE(skylab @ Dec 26 2008, 08:58 AM) *

QUOTE(zijuzijazijana @ Dec 25 2008, 04:50 AM) *

10,000 / 30... That's $333 DOLLARS a DAY. Did you stay in a hotel? If so.. THATS WHY. Stay in a hotel in Paris and you will find hotels are just as expensive as Vegas, NYC, Miami, etc. With 10,000 in a month, you can buy a house, a car, and pay all bills in the USA - so I'm not sure what kind of vacation you're on but that's a lot of money to be spending for only one month. Even if you were to split 10,000 between two people - 5,000 each... That's still crazy. I don't even spend that much in my own 1,000 square feet apartment next to NYC, when I had a car, all bills, food, and everything else.

Also - add the fact that the USA has a HUGE economy. Although our dollar is going down, it's still strong compaired to the rest of the world. When our economy goes down, so does everyone else's because everyone depends on us the same way we are depending on everyone else.

Do you know how dollars go up in value? When a dollar is strong - it means there's more jobs, more people buying things, and more people spending. So when you think about it if you lived IN the united states, it's not a lot of money for us to travel.

Stop trying to scare people to stay away from our country. It's a beautiful country and you're giving it a bad name. YOU are the reason traveling has decreased because people have this false illusion of us.

What kind of nonsense you are talking about,I'm not even trying to scare anyone away from USA ,on contrary I'm saying to go to USA but with money not without it.I'm being realistic and all I'm saying here that travel in USA is not cheap,so what is wrong with my statement here?As far as terrorism you need to be realistic as well,so do you want me to lie to people and tell them that what happens to me doesn't happen?I'm living through it not you,I'm outside of USA now for over four years and I can speak from my own experience.Where have you been lately outside of USA and when?

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

6 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th August 2014 - 09:34 AM
Top Hotel Destinations in USA

Albuquerque Hotels
Anaheim Hotels
Atlanta Hotels
Austin Hotels
Boston Hotels
Branson Hotels
Charlotte Hotels
Chicago Hotels
Columbus Hotels
Dallas Hotels
Denver Hotels
Fort Lauderdale Hotels
Honolulu Hotels
Houston Hotels
Indianapolis Hotels
Jacksonville Hotels
Kansas City Hotels
Kissimmee Hotels
Las Vegas Hotels
Los Angeles Hotels
Memphis Hotels
Miami Hotels
Miami Beach Hotels
Myrtle Beach Hotels
Nashville Hotels
New Orleans Hotels
New York City Hotels
Orlando Hotels
Philadelphia Hotels
Phoenix Hotels
Portland Hotels
Saint Louis Hotels
San Antonio Hotels
San Diego Hotels
San Francisco Hotels
Scottsdale Hotels
Seattle Hotels
Tampa Hotels
Tucson Hotels
Washington DC Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.