Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Bhutan without a travel company
madhukara
post Dec 25 2009, 02:45 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 605351
Nominate me as a Local Expert

Hi!

I am Madhukar from Mysore, India. My friend and myself are planning a trip to Bhutan in the next few months.
Since we are Indians, we don't need a visa to visit Bhutan. We want to tour Bhutan on our own; we don't really like guided tours. We want to plan the whole tour on the table, and face the music in Bhutan!!

We have got some basic info like how to enter Bhutan from India, popular tourist places in Bhutan etc. But we couldn't find much info about food and accommodation.

1. Both of us completely veg (no eggs also), and we want to know whether we get veg food in all places in Bhutan.
2. What is the most economical mode of accommodation? We need two beds to sleep, and a clean toilet, and of course water. Nothing else. We don't need luxuries like TV, AC safe locker etc. What is the approximate cost per day?
3. For how long can we stay in Bhutan? Since we are Indians, we don't need visas to enter the country.

Cheers!
Madhukar
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Dec 28 2009, 01:46 PM
Post #2

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 103914

Try reading the starter kit in the Bhutan forum:

http://www.travelpod.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=6516

You should be able to find lots of Indian food in Bhutan:

i. Food : you would find Indian,Chinese,Bhutanese and Continental style cuisines offered nearly everywhere.It should be noted that the Bhutanese dishes are very hot.Ever so the famous " Ema Datshi" which is a lot of chillies cooked with cheese".To a Bhutanese it would not be so hot but to a foreigner it would be quite a tearful.However some hotels do take care and remove the seeds of the chilly thereby making it less hot and more palatable to the guest.Salad should be eaten with caution as most hotels would not be using treated water to wash the vegetables.

Here are the answers to some of your other questions:

e. Toilets : most of the hotels would have the “WC” or western commode.However in some remote areas it may still be the use of the Indian style commodes.While on treks it would be in the open using dug out pits.
j. Water : Very few hotels have water filtering systems.Therefore it is always advisable to drink bottled mineral water from Bhutan itself.
k. Accommodation: most of the tourist visiting Bhutan will be put up in Class “A” hotels.However it has been noticed that some of the class A hotels are also not up to the mark.Thereby the Hotel Classification system is being reviewed and it would make sure that certain hotels improve their standard or be put in lower category hotels.

Try checking the listings in TravelPod for how much a typical hotel will cost:
http://www.travelpod.com/hotels/Bumthang.html

Info about Bhutan stuff that you might find interesting is: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293844-...The.Border.html

You might have to contact the Bhutan embassy in India to find out how long you can visit.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
madhukara
post Dec 29 2009, 01:11 PM
Post #3

thanks for the reply. The hotels look a bit expensive for us (we are students). are there any alternatives like homestays? Since we are from India, bathrooms without a shower, Indian toilets etc are no issues. How about couchsurfing?
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Dec 29 2009, 01:13 PM
Post #4

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 103914

If you can't afford the hotels, you should definitely do Couchsurfing then.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
madhukara
post Feb 2 2010, 10:34 AM
Post #5

pls accept my apologies for replying late. Your msg was helpful. Thank you very much:)
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
dtenzin
post Oct 21 2010, 11:18 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 1412781

Hi Sir how r u and where r u now. Hope ur in sound health.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
madhukara
post Mar 29 2011, 12:36 PM
Post #7

Hi!

Our Bhutan trip has got some life again, of course with some changes. Now we are a group of 25 people, and we are surely coming:) We will be covering a few parts of Sikkim in India, and Thimpu and Paro valley in Bhutan. I have a few questions about the food and hotels in Bhutan.

1. Do we have separate hotels for vegetarian and non-vegetarian food?
2. We plan to live on fruits, vegetables, and milk! Do we get a good quantity of them? Is eating fruits very much more expensive than eating in a hotel?
3. What do you think about Hotel Classic in Thimpu, and Hotel Western in Paro?
4. We enter Bhutan from Phuentsholing. Is there anything interesting between Phuentsholing and Thimpu?

Thanks in advance
Madhukar
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
madhukara
post Mar 29 2011, 12:45 PM
Post #8

Forgot to add one more question.

Is there anything really interesting in Thimpu other than the Clock Tower Square, and the King's Palace? Can we go inside the palace? Is it a better idea skip Thimpu, and spend more time in Paro? We can't spend more than 2 days in Bhutan. It looks silly, but we don't have much time:)

Thank you
Madhukar
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th July 2014 - 11:58 PM
Top Hotel Destinations in Bhutan

Bumthang Hotels
Jakar Hotels
Mongar Hotels
Paro Hotels
Phobjikha Valley Hotels
Phuntsholing Hotels
Punakha Hotels
Samdrup Jongkhar Hotels
Thimphu Hotels
Trashigang Hotels
Trongsa Hotels
Wangdue Hotels
Wangduephodrang Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.