Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> crossing boarders in South America
alandalus83
post Jul 21 2009, 08:53 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 289248

Does anyone know if it is possible to travel between countries in South America by bus, or if air travel is the only option?
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Jul 22 2009, 10:23 AM
Post #2

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 103914

Of course you can travel through South America by bus! Where are you trying to get to?

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
aopaq
post Jul 22 2009, 10:56 AM
Post #3

Tripper

Member No.: 893

Just make sure you have any required visas which will depend on your nationality and passport.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
azreal
post Jul 22 2009, 10:58 AM
Post #4

Expeditionist

Member No.: 289202

The only visa I require is my plastic one.... Bribes accepted everywhere tongue.gif
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
kathryn77
post Jul 22 2009, 07:14 PM
Post #5

Vagabond

Member No.: 30044

QUOTE(alandalus83 @ Jul 22 2009, 02:53 AM) *

Does anyone know if it is possible to travel between countries in South America by bus, or if air travel is the only option?

NO! The bus is much more of an adventure!!! But yeah, depending on where you are from, check the visa situation. I have a UK passport, and got 90 day free visa on arrival and I was in Peru; Bolivia; Chile; Argentina; Uruguay; Brazil. But crossing the Bolivian border for example, it wasn't so easy for my South African friend - check ahead as Aopaq said wink.gif

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
alandalus83
post Jul 23 2009, 05:39 PM
Post #6

Thanks for all the feed back! I thought that a visa was only required if you spend more than 3 months in a country. If a visa is required to get into a country, I probably wouldn't be able to get one since that takes some time, right?
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
azreal
post Jul 23 2009, 05:41 PM
Post #7

Expeditionist

Depends on which country you hail from and which country you are going to and the foriegn policies between said countries.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
alandalus83
post Jul 23 2009, 05:43 PM
Post #8

QUOTE(kathryn77 @ Jul 22 2009, 07:14 PM) *

QUOTE(alandalus83 @ Jul 22 2009, 02:53 AM) *

NO! The bus is much more of an adventure!!! But yeah, depending on where you are from, check the visa situation. I have a UK passport, and got 90 day free visa on arrival and I was in Peru; Bolivia; Chile; Argentina; Uruguay; Brazil. But crossing the Bolivian border for example, it wasn't so easy for my South African friend - check ahead as Aopaq said wink.gif

Do you mind sharing your South America travel itinerary with me? I ask because by seeing all the countries you visited it seems very similar to the adventure I'm planning. Thanks so much!!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
azreal
post Jul 23 2009, 05:44 PM
Post #9

Expeditionist

I would like to see it too... I love seeing trips to crazy far off places..... Like Timbuktoo... who knew that was an actual place... shrugs
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
kathryn77
post Jul 23 2009, 06:19 PM
Post #10

Vagabond

QUOTE(alandalus83 @ Jul 23 2009, 11:43 PM) *

Do you mind sharing your South America travel itinerary with me? I ask because by seeing all the countries you visited it seems very similar to the adventure I'm planning. Thanks so much!!

Of course I don't mind, but there may be some stuff I didn't do, like going in the Amazon, that might be on your agenda, so as a guide, this is the route I went...
Peru: Lima...Pisco...Huacachina...Nazca...Arequipa...Cusco (Machupichu)...Puno (Lake Titicaca)
Bolivia: Copacabana...La Paz...Sucre...Potosi...Uyuni Salt Flats...
Chile: San Pedro de Atacama...Santiago...Valparaiso...
Argentina: Mendoza...Cordoba...Salta...Puerto Iguazu...
At this point it went a bit pear shaped, as I met a friend of mine who was heading to Rio...and I went "just for 2 days"...and stayed 5 months as I loved it so much! In that time I had to renew my visa, so I went south to Buenos Aires, and went into Uruguay at that point too, but if you're in BA/Argentina, it's easy to do Uruguay before you head into Brazil...I just did a loop I didn't think I would! Where I went is more detailed in my big trip blog, the above is just main places...let me know any more Q's you may have... smile.gif

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
alandalus83
post Jul 23 2009, 06:24 PM
Post #11

QUOTE(kathryn77 @ Jul 23 2009, 06:19 PM) *

QUOTE(alandalus83 @ Jul 23 2009, 11:43 PM) *

Of course I don't mind, but there may be some stuff I didn't do, like going in the Amazon, that might be on your agenda, so as a guide, this is the route I went...
Peru: Lima...Pisco...Huacachina...Nazca...Arequipa...Cusco (Machupichu)...Puno (Lake Titicaca)
Bolivia: Copacabana...La Paz...Sucre...Potosi...Uyuni Salt Flats...
Chile: San Pedro de Atacama...Santiago...Valparaiso...
Argentina: Mendoza...Cordoba...Salta...Puerto Iguazu...
At this point it went a bit pear shaped, as I met a friend of mine who was heading to Rio...and I went "just for 2 days"...and stayed 5 months as I loved it so much! In that time I had to renew my visa, so I went south to Buenos Aires, and went into Uruguay at that point too, but if you're in BA/Argentina, it's easy to do Uruguay before you head into Brazil...I just did a loop I didn't think I would! Where I went is more detailed in my big trip blog, the above is just main places...let me know any more Q's you may have... smile.gif

Thanks so much!! 2 more questions...did you need any visas to enter the countries? and, did you travel all by bus? Thanks again!! you're becoming a HUGE help!!!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
azreal
post Jul 23 2009, 06:27 PM
Post #12

Expeditionist

Lets all get on the bus.... and have a grande ole time
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
alandalus83
post Jul 23 2009, 07:43 PM
Post #13

QUOTE(azreal @ Jul 23 2009, 06:27 PM) *

Lets all get on the bus.... and have a grande ole time

Come one, come all!!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
kathryn77
post Jul 24 2009, 05:10 PM
Post #14

Vagabond

QUOTE(alandalus83 @ Jul 24 2009, 12:24 AM) *

Thanks so much!! 2 more questions...did you need any visas to enter the countries? and, did you travel all by bus? Thanks again!! you're becoming a HUGE help!!!

No worries smile.gif Visas depend on which country you are from, and then vary country to country in South America, so you really need to check each one. I have a UK passport, so I was able to get 90 day visa on arrival in every SA country I went to, which was just an entry and exit stamp crossing the borders. I don't know what the situation is for other passport holders.

Apart from getting there initially and leaving again, I did travel everywhere by bus. Buses in SA are fab - I found the long distance ones better than the Aussie buses, in my experience!

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
alandalus83
post Jul 25 2009, 08:35 AM
Post #15

QUOTE(kathryn77 @ Jul 24 2009, 05:10 PM) *

No worries smile.gif Visas depend on which country you are from, and then vary country to country in South America, so you really need to check each one. I have a UK passport, so I was able to get 90 day visa on arrival in every SA country I went to, which was just an entry and exit stamp crossing the borders. I don't know what the situation is for other passport holders.

Apart from getting there initially and leaving again, I did travel everywhere by bus. Buses in SA are fab - I found the long distance ones better than the Aussie buses, in my experience!

Just wanted to thank you again! you've been a big help! i'm finding out that some of the countries that i planned on visiting require a visa. thanks again
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
alandalus83
post Jul 28 2009, 09:11 PM
Post #16

QUOTE(alandalus83 @ Jul 25 2009, 08:35 AM) *

QUOTE(kathryn77 @ Jul 24 2009, 05:10 PM) *

Just wanted to thank you again! you've been a big help! i'm finding out that some of the countries that i planned on visiting require a visa. thanks again

Hey! I have another question for you...hope you dont mind :-/ So I'm seeing that many places require that you show an onward ticket saying that you'll be moving on and not overstaying your welcome. Obviously I wont have the ticket to my next destination until after I have arrived to the first. What did you do in this situation???

Thanks so much!!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
aopaq
post Jul 29 2009, 12:21 PM
Post #17

Tripper

Member No.: 893

Hey! I have another question for you...hope you dont mind :-/ So I'm seeing that many places require that you show an onward ticket saying that you'll be moving on and not overstaying your welcome. Obviously I wont have the ticket to my next destination until after I have arrived to the first. What did you do in this situation???

Thanks so much!!

This is a pretty common question and in most cases it does not appear to be an issue. As has been suggested in other threads, it helps if you look fairly "presentable" when you cross a land border as you may get more hassle if you appear very grubby and dirty.
If you have a detailed written itinerary with you (whether true or not), that may also help so that the border guards can see you have a plan to exit the country. Also, having the return part of an airline ticket back to your country of residence never hurts.

I have crossed many land borders without ever being asked for proof of onward travel. However, if it does become an issue, you should also be able to book a bus or air ticket out of the country (hopefully by internet or with the help of a local travel agent) which you can hopefully cancel once you are admitted entry.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
kathryn77
post Jul 30 2009, 03:07 PM
Post #18

Vagabond

Yeah, I was never asked once. I think I might have had an itinerary with me to show I was moving on (just in case), but I definitely didn't have any tickets as they were all e-tickets.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st September 2014 - 03:41 PM
Top Hotel Destinations in Peru

Abancay Hotels
Aguas Calientes Hotels
Arequipa Hotels
Ayacucho Hotels
Cabanaconde Hotels
Cajamarca Hotels
Chachapoyas Hotels
Chiclayo Hotels
Chivay Hotels
Colca Canyon Hotels
Cusco Hotels
Huacachina Hotels
Huancayo Hotels
Huanchaco Hotels
Huaraz Hotels
Ica Hotels
Ilo Hotels
Iquitos Hotels
Juliaca Hotels
Lima Hotels
Machu Picchu Hotels
Mancora Hotels
Nasca Hotels
Ollantaytambo Hotels
Paracas Hotels
Pisac Hotels
Pisco Hotels
Piura Hotels
Pucallpa Hotels
Puerto Maldonado Hotels
Puno Hotels
Punta Hermosa Hotels
San Lazaro Hotels
Tarapoto Hotels
Tarma Hotels
Trujillo Hotels
Tumbes Hotels
Urubamba Hotels
Yanama Hotels
Yucay Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.