Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Brit wants to Travel USA, Hopefully this summer. Cross country
ctf_gloc
post May 24 2007, 03:42 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 55902
Nominate me as a Local Expert

Hi,

I am new to travelling and am looking for like minded individuals from the UK to travel with, I want to travel America, hopefully by car but if that's not viable train, bus or feet! I really want to see the desert state, monument valley, grand canyon etc, as well as cities along the way, either going from west to east or east to west. I am more than happy to compromise on particular sites etc. I am hoping it will be an entire summer thing, but it can easily be a lot longer or shorter depending on circumstances.

My first post in the introduction forum says more:
http://www.travelpod.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=3438

I am a 23 year old recent graduate who was just made redundant so that is why I have decided to travel now. So I would like a travelling partner or 2 who wants to do the same sort of thing as me

My facebook profile should say enough about me: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=500974160

Cheers!

Adam
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
radsolv
post May 25 2007, 11:13 PM
Post #2

Globetrotter

Member No.: 95

Adam,

Check out greentortoise.com

it may be just what you are looking for.

I have been on three of their trips. NYC to SFO. Costa Rica and Alaska. The east to west or west to east trips stop at some of our beautiful National Parks as well as Las Vegas, Chicago, New Orleans.

The majority will be under 35, maybe a handful older, and probably at least half European. You must be adaptable and willing to rough it. But most of the group will be into partying.

If you have any questions feel free to e mail me;
radsolv@pobox.com

Have fun. Let me know if you go.

Art Rom...

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
ScottWoz
post May 26 2007, 05:38 AM
Post #3

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 124

Just wanted to second the Green Tortoise recommendation. While I didn't take one of their trips I used their hostel and the whole setup is spot-on. Very professional, and a great way to meet fellow travellers..

--------------------
Woz..

Living on a string of one-way tickets - currently kicking about in: southern Cambodia
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
ctf_gloc
post May 28 2007, 07:14 AM
Post #4

Thats a great website, ive looked over it and it has some fantastic ideas! Now all i need is someone willing to come with me and I will be all set!!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
radsolv
post May 28 2007, 09:43 AM
Post #5

Globetrotter

Member No.: 95

I really wouldn''t worry about finding someone to join you. If the GreenTortoise idea sounds good, then fly into BOS or NYC and take one of their westbound cross country trips. You'll meet plenty of copacetic gals and guys around your age. And one or two you may find it hard to stomache. Might even get 'married' for the duration of the trip.

When you get to the West coast if the trip was good you could spend some time on the West coast, Yosemite, Seattle, LA then take a GT eastbound trip different itinerary, back to NY, Bos, UK.

While here don't pass up Canada or Mexico. Both great places and people to visit.

Would enjoy hearing from you when you decide and how it comes out.

Really don't think the buying or renting a car is such a good idea in your situation. Under 25, insurance is a killer. Gas prices though half of Europe's are still very high and distances in North America are vast. Camp grounds are not that cheap and often filled.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
rbisset
post May 28 2007, 11:24 AM
Post #6

Planet Pioneer

Member No.: 692

Have to say those prices are pretty impressive!

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
exploreamerica
post May 30 2007, 09:51 PM
Post #7

Planet Pioneer

Member No.: 34506

I would love to give you any advice or ideas on places you would like to go. The fact that you want to go to Monument Valley already shopws you are on the right track to having an incredible time. I have done two two-month roadtrips and I am leaving in 5 days for my next one. If you would like to see any of my travelogues (shameless plug) then I hope it will provide some ideas too. Again, allow me to answer any questions if you are interested and I wish you the best of luck in finding a travelmate or two.

Central and southwestern U.S.

Northeastern U.S.

--------------------
Stuart

Visit my brand new summer trip to China, Malaysia, India and Egypt

Visit all of my Travelogues

A collection of all my worldwide travels over the course of my lifetime

My latest of three separate solo U.S. road trips

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness. Broad, wholesome views cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth. By mark twain
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
waldorfedu
post Jun 1 2007, 06:25 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 24410

Hi, Originally from near Newcastle I now live in San Diego and regularly travel in my Vanagon in CA and sometimes further afield (Grand Canyon etc) contact me if interested - easiest way is email at tei at cox dot net. take care David

QUOTE(ctf_gloc @ May 24 2007, 03:42 PM) *

Hi,

I am new to travelling and am looking for like minded individuals from the UK to travel with, I want to travel America, hopefully by car but if that's not viable train, bus or feet! I really want to see the desert state, monument valley, grand canyon etc, as well as cities along the way, either going from west to east or east to west. I am more than happy to compromise on particular sites etc. I am hoping it will be an entire summer thing, but it can easily be a lot longer or shorter depending on circumstances.

My first post in the introduction forum says more:
http://www.travelpod.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=3438

I am a 23 year old recent graduate who was just made redundant so that is why I have decided to travel now. So I would like a travelling partner or 2 who wants to do the same sort of thing as me

My facebook profile should say enough about me: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=500974160

Cheers!

Adam
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
ctf_gloc
post Jun 5 2007, 05:15 AM
Post #9

Some great responses there! Still it seems noone fro mthe UK wants to do the same thing as me, which means my best bet is flying out to the US and finding a hostel and travelling partners.

Does anyone have any opinions on the best cities to go to for likeminded travellers which hopefully will have an international airport too. Also does anyone have opinions on good airlines to fly with to get to the US, ie cheap as possible and fairly flexible about the return journey, I wouldclick on the airline ads on this site but i would rather have a personal opinion from real people.

I don't ask much do I smile.gif

Thanks loads guys!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
exploreamerica
post Jun 17 2007, 11:11 PM
Post #10

Planet Pioneer

Member No.: 34506

QUOTE(ctf_gloc @ Jun 5 2007, 06:15 AM) *

Some great responses there! Still it seems noone fro mthe UK wants to do the same thing as me, which means my best bet is flying out to the US and finding a hostel and travelling partners.

Does anyone have any opinions on the best cities to go to for likeminded travellers which hopefully will have an international airport too. Also does anyone have opinions on good airlines to fly with to get to the US, ie cheap as possible and fairly flexible about the return journey, I wouldclick on the airline ads on this site but i would rather have a personal opinion from real people.

I don't ask much do I smile.gif

Thanks loads guys!

Fly into Colorado or Utah; they should have big airports and play around there. Utah has gorgeous national parks like Zion, Bryce and Arches. Montana has Yellowstone!!! Plus you have Vegas (surely you can fly into there). Nearby is Arizona with the Grand Canyon.

--------------------
Stuart

Visit my brand new summer trip to China, Malaysia, India and Egypt

Visit all of my Travelogues

A collection of all my worldwide travels over the course of my lifetime

My latest of three separate solo U.S. road trips

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness. Broad, wholesome views cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth. By mark twain
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
rbisset
post Jun 18 2007, 05:04 AM
Post #11

Planet Pioneer

Member No.: 692

As you are flying from the UK I'd suggest starting in a big East Coast city, New York and Miami being the obvious locations. They are normal starting points for people travelling from Europe and so will be full of backpackers you could tag along with.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2014 - 06:00 AM
Top Hotel Destinations in USA

Albuquerque Hotels
Anaheim Hotels
Atlanta Hotels
Austin Hotels
Boston Hotels
Branson Hotels
Charlotte Hotels
Chicago Hotels
Columbus Hotels
Dallas Hotels
Denver Hotels
Fort Lauderdale Hotels
Honolulu Hotels
Houston Hotels
Indianapolis Hotels
Jacksonville Hotels
Kansas City Hotels
Kissimmee Hotels
Las Vegas Hotels
Los Angeles Hotels
Memphis Hotels
Miami Hotels
Miami Beach Hotels
Myrtle Beach Hotels
Nashville Hotels
New Orleans Hotels
New York City Hotels
Orlando Hotels
Philadelphia Hotels
Phoenix Hotels
Portland Hotels
Saint Louis Hotels
San Antonio Hotels
San Diego Hotels
San Francisco Hotels
Scottsdale Hotels
Seattle Hotels
Tampa Hotels
Tucson Hotels
Washington DC Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.