Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Belfast Maritime Festival, Tall ships, street entertainers, markets: 13th-16th August
lou82
post Jan 30 2009, 07:16 AM
Post #1

Voyager

Group: Members
Member No.: 14581
Nominate me as a Local Expert

Hey,

For anyone considering coming over to NI over the summer months the Tall Ships will be back again in the 2009 Atlantic Challenge.

The Tall Ships last came to Belfast in 1991 when they berthed at Pollock Dock and were visited by 250,000 people. In August 2009 Belfast has been chosen to be the finish port for the Atlantic Challenge.

The Tall Ships Atlantic Challenge 2009 will start in Vigo, Spain from where the fleet will race to Tenerife in the Canary Islands, en route to Bermuda. The fleet will then race to a port on the east coast of the USA for a series of races and cruises-in-company north via New York or Boston to Halifax, Canada. From there the fleet will race back across the North Atlantic to the finish in Belfast.

Dates:
Vigo, Spain Thu 30 April - Sun 3 May
Tenerife Thu 14 - Sun 17 May
Bermuda Fri 12 - Mon 15 June
Halifax, Canada Thu 16 - Sun 19 July
Belfast Thu 13 - Sun 16 August 2009

The Fleet of square-riggers and classic ships will race over 7000 nautical miles from Spain in May, via the Canaries and Bermuda, before travelling up the coast of North America and leaving Halifax for the long final leg to Belfast.

The purpose of the race is sail training for young people from all over the world, giving them the wonderful, unforgettable experience of sailing these magnificent ships and fostering friendship and understanding between different nationalities and backgrounds.

The Celebrations
Along the quaysides of the city will be packed full of fun and excitement: music, street theatre, food markets, fireworks, and performances suitable for all the family.

The last visit of the Tall Ships was in 1991, it lured in excess of 400,000 visitors and even more are expected this time.

They will be joined for what will be a truly international experience with thousands of ships’ crew arriving in Belfast to join in the fun.

Go to here for more information. hyper.gif

--------------------
"The rest of those who have gone before us, cannot steady the unrest of those to follow.."
~ Finding Forrester
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Jan 30 2009, 10:14 AM
Post #2

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 103914

These boats are pretty cool, we have them in Canada too!
Are you going?

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
lou82
post Jan 31 2009, 08:54 AM
Post #3

Voyager

Member No.: 14581

Hey, yes they leave Halifax from 'your way' lol and sail all the way over to Belfast frantics.gif

I've applied to volunteer on the ships for the 4 days they are here but even if I'm not I'll still be up at the weekend to see them. I remember them from last time they were over and the council are laying on more entertainment this time round so it should make for a fantastic day out yes.gif

--------------------
"The rest of those who have gone before us, cannot steady the unrest of those to follow.."
~ Finding Forrester
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Feb 2 2009, 05:10 PM
Post #4

Rolling Stone

Member No.: 103914

Oh! Good luck with that application!

I had no idea those boats actually crossed the ocean. Amazing that they still work.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
digate
post Nov 18 2009, 02:45 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 517431

They are a wonderful sight, they have been arriving the last few days, we will definately be there to see them off on Thursday, thank you for the post.
http://tenerifeexplored.blogspot.com/
drinks_wine.gif

--------------------
http://tenerifeexplored.blogspot.com/ - All about Tenerife, Canary Islands, Spain
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
kathryn77
post Nov 18 2009, 03:07 PM
Post #6

Vagabond

Member No.: 30044

They were there in August.....but OK, sure....!

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2014 - 04:43 AM
Top Hotel Destinations

Acapulco Hotels
Atlanta Hotels
Austin Hotels
Beijing Hotels
Cancun Hotels
Charlotte Hotels
Chicago Hotels
Dallas Hotels
Denver Hotels
Honolulu Hotels
Houston Hotels
Indianapolis Hotels
Kissimmee Hotels
Las Vegas Hotels
London Hotels
Los Angeles Hotels
Mexico City Hotels
Miami Hotels
Miami Beach Hotels
Montreal Hotels
Myrtle Beach Hotels
Nashville Hotels
Negril Hotels
New Orleans Hotels
New York City Hotels
Orlando Hotels
Paris Hotels
Phoenix Hotels
Playa del Carmen Hotels
Puerto Plata Hotels
Puerto Vallarta Hotels
Punta Cana Hotels
Rome Hotels
San Antonio Hotels
San Diego Hotels
San Francisco Hotels
Seattle Hotels
Tampa Hotels
Toronto Hotels
Washington DC Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.