Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Vancouver to rockies
regtmc
post Mar 16 2009, 12:12 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 272776

Hi, I would like to travel from vancouver to rockies and back (abt 7 days). Can anyone advise me which is the cheapest way?
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
aopaq
post Mar 16 2009, 07:16 AM
Post #2

Tripper

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 893

If you are travelling with your parents and 2 kids, it may be cheaper to rent a car in Vancouver for the 7 days that you are planning. Otherwise, the only other real alternative is to take the Greyhound Bus.
Are you just planning to go to Banff and Jasper and then back to Vancouver?

I would check out the major car rental companies online to see if you can get an idea of the cost for a 7 day rental (and check out the mileage costs as well). You may also be able to find the Greyhound fares online as well.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Mar 16 2009, 08:51 AM
Post #3

Rolling Stone

Member No.: 103914

Yep, I agree with the rental car thing. I did this same thing, but from Calgary to Jasper and Banff. We rented a car, it worked out great.

However, from Vancouver to Jasper, there is the possibility of taking a train. You might want to check out those rates too on www.viarail.ca

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
regtmc
post Mar 16 2009, 10:28 PM
Post #4

I am still considering whether to drive or travel alone to rockies by myself. I'll be staying at a relative house in vancouver. As this is my 1st visit to vancouver, I wonder if the road is easy? If it's not difficult, I'll consider driving all of them. If driving, is 7 days enough (to and fro)?
We are invited to stay in vancouver island with another relative for maybe 4 days, after that we intend to go seattle maybe for 3 days.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
aopaq
post Mar 17 2009, 12:57 AM
Post #5

Tripper

QUOTE(regtmc @ Mar 16 2009, 11:28 PM) *

I am still considering whether to drive or travel alone to rockies by myself. I'll be staying at a relative house in vancouver. As this is my 1st visit to vancouver, I wonder if the road is easy? If it's not difficult, I'll consider driving all of them. If driving, is 7 days enough (to and fro)?
We are invited to stay in vancouver island with another relative for maybe 4 days, after that we intend to go seattle maybe for 3 days.

I am not sure where you are from or what you consider an "easy" road but I personally don't feel it is bad at all. If you take the Coquihalla highway to Merritt and Kelowna and then continue on to Revelstoke, Golden and Banff, you should be fine. If you are worried just drive cautiously and take your time. It is a wonderful route and so much nicer if you can stop along the way and see the sites at your own discretion. You should easily be able to get to Banff in a couple days, spend at least a few more days there and have 2-3 days to get back to Vancouver.

If it was me, I would then take the southern route back. This would involve following Highway 93 down to Cranbrook and then Highway 3 through Creston, Trail and Osoyoos. This route is a little trickier in the Fraser Canyon but again take your time and enjoy the scenery.

Where are you going to be on the Island? You probably should try to visit Long Beach on the west side and stop at Cathedral Grove along the way to check out the big cedar trees.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
regtmc
post Mar 17 2009, 01:40 AM
Post #6

I'm from singapore. I dunno where exactly is my relative hse in vancouver island, but will try to visit the places u mention.

We'll be staying in burnaby most of the time. The places that I would like to visit are rockies and lake louise, maybe calgary too. Are these places all on the same way?

Can u recommend a car renting company with good rates?

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
aopaq
post Mar 17 2009, 05:27 AM
Post #7

Tripper

QUOTE(regtmc @ Mar 17 2009, 02:40 AM) *

I'm from singapore. I dunno where exactly is my relative hse in vancouver island, but will try to visit the places u mention.

We'll be staying in burnaby most of the time. The places that I would like to visit are rockies and lake louise, maybe calgary too. Are these places all on the same way?

Can u recommend a car renting company with good rates?

First of all, you can easily visit Lake Louise since it is on the way to Banff after Golden. Calgary is also only about a 1.5 hour drive from Calgary as well.

On the Island, I forgot to mention the other most important tourist location which is Victoria. Depending where your relatives live, you can take the ferry which goes to Victoria from Vancouver. The other option is the Nanaimo ferry but the Victoria one is much nicer and more scenic because you pass by some of the Gulf Islands. They both take around 1.5 hours. If you can avoid taking a vehicle across on the ferry, it will be significantly cheaper.

As for renting a car, I did a quick check on Budget Car Rental and it looks like 7 days in April for a car rented in Vancouver will be about $250 but after taxes and other options (child seats etc.) it could be as much as +$350. You will need a credit card to rent a vehicle and you should check if your card will give you automatic extra coverage for car rentals so you don't have to pay twice. You should also be able to check rates if you Google Hertz Car Rental and National Car Rental.

There is also much you can do around Burnaby and the Lower Mainland as well including visiting Stanley Park, Grouse Mountain and the Capilano Suspension Bridge.

I am sure you will have a wonderful trip!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Mar 17 2009, 08:36 AM
Post #8

Rolling Stone

Member No.: 103914

I enjoy Hertz... but rental car companies change their rates so often, you'd just have to check them out yourself when you get there.

Oh, I almost forgot, CANMORE! You must go to Canmore.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
regtmc
post Mar 18 2009, 01:46 AM
Post #9

Thanks for all the info, will try to include Canmore in the itinery.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th July 2014 - 09:48 AM
Top Hotel Destinations in Canada

Banff Hotels
Calgary Hotels
Canmore Hotels
Charlottetown Hotels
Edmonton Hotels
Fredericton Hotels
Gatineau Hotels
Grande Prairie Hotels
Halifax Hotels
Hamilton Hotels
Jasper Hotels
Kamloops Hotels
Kelowna Hotels
Kingston Hotels
Laval Hotels
London Hotels
Markham Hotels
Mississauga Hotels
Moncton Hotels
Mont Tremblant Hotels
Montreal Hotels
Niagara Falls Hotels
Niagara-on-the-Lake Hotels
North York Hotels
Ottawa Hotels
Penticton Hotels
Quebec City Hotels
Red Deer Hotels
Regina Hotels
Richmond Hotels
Saskatoon Hotels
St. John's Hotels
Sudbury Hotels
Surrey Hotels
Toronto Hotels
Vancouver Hotels
Victoria Hotels
Whistler Hotels
Windsor Hotels
Winnipeg Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.