Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Nags Head vs. Fort Myers, what are your favorite cafes?
beardsley
post Dec 23 2009, 01:36 PM
Post #1

Drifter

Group: Members
Member No.: 293

I am torn between driving from DC to Nags Head or flying to Fort Myers for a short getaway, and the food is probably going to decide the issue. Any good seafood places that you can think of would be greatly appreciated! I used to LOVE the old cinder block shack Tortugas' Lie outside Nags Head, tho I hear it is not quite as good as it used to be, anything like that would be a welcome tip!
Thanks!

--------------------
If you aren't sure where you are trying to go, it is a lot easier to get there.

Visit my Travel page here!
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Dec 23 2009, 01:44 PM
Post #2

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 103914

Personally, I think you should drive to save the fossil fuels...

Before I go anywhere, I always check the top restaurants on tripadvisor. So here are the restaurants in Nags Head: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurants-g49...h_Carolina.html

And here are the restaurants in Fort Myers: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurants-g34...rs_Florida.html

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
beardsley
post Dec 23 2009, 02:36 PM
Post #3

Drifter

Thanks for the reminder, I had used TripAdvisor when I thought I was going to go back to Key Largo and had forgotten to check Nags Head and Fort Myers for my new trip choices. It is good to see my old favorite in Nags Head came in in the top 5, if only just... One of the main reasons I am thinking of going back to Nags Head was the phenomenal seafood I got there 10 years ago. I have a long memory for good food, and I will consider a cold destination over a warm one just because I like a cafe. And the beach is cool too.
Thanks Starlagurl!

QUOTE(starlagurl @ Dec 23 2009, 01:44 PM) *

Personally, I think you should drive to save the fossil fuels...

Before I go anywhere, I always check the top restaurants on tripadvisor. So here are the restaurants in Nags Head: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurants-g49...h_Carolina.html

And here are the restaurants in Fort Myers: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurants-g34...rs_Florida.html

--------------------

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Dec 23 2009, 02:38 PM
Post #4

Rolling Stone

You are welcome. Are you still deciding? It seems you are leaning toward Nags Head...

You should see what our North Carolina Local Expert has to say about it (wisconsin_fan)... Chris are you around?

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
beardsley
post Dec 23 2009, 02:47 PM
Post #5

Drifter

LOL
Yeah, I am still thinking about it. I travel a good bit, shorter distances now than I used to, but I always hit the books and the net and toss ideas around for a few weeks, then make up my mind at the last minute. I am looking at new place that is warmer, snorkeling type weather, w/Appalachicola oysters and a new seafood area, vs. a place I know fairly well, that is not swimming warm, with an all time favorite cafe that I have't been to in 10 years and fun locals type pubs at this time of year.

QUOTE(starlagurl @ Dec 23 2009, 02:38 PM) *

You are welcome. Are you still deciding? It seems you are leaning toward Nags Head...

You should see what our North Carolina Local Expert has to say about it (wisconsin_fan)... Chris are you around?

--------------------

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Dec 23 2009, 02:52 PM
Post #6

Rolling Stone

Well it's nice to have you around anyhow! Even though the last time you were here was three years ago!!!

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
beardsley
post Dec 23 2009, 03:30 PM
Post #7

Drifter

Thanks! I used to do a RTW every 2 or 3 years, but business has been slow since 2005 so I have only done a couple medium length trips to Thailand, England and Florida lately. I miss my traveling days, a lot! After being home for a year or so, it doesn't feel like I have as much to share on a travel site.

QUOTE(starlagurl @ Dec 23 2009, 02:52 PM) *

Well it's nice to have you around anyhow! Even though the last time you were here was three years ago!!!

--------------------

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Dec 23 2009, 03:34 PM
Post #8

Rolling Stone

Ahhh of course you do! I'm sure you've got great advice.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
rksue
post Dec 26 2009, 04:33 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 607261

I would go to Nag Head. Of Course Ft. Myers does have some good restaurants. We just came back from the Lighthouse Rest. on McGregor, as if headed to Sanibel Island. The food was outstanding.

There is a great restaurant, about 12.00 for lunch called the Sunshine Seafood Cafe, I think it off of Winkler. Its in a little strip Mall across from Sweat Bay. They have great wine and food. Never would know it to look at where they are located. The atmosphere is fantastic, the service is outstanding and the food is always fresh.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
wisconsin_fan81
post Jan 18 2010, 10:58 AM
Post #10

Globetrotter

Member No.: 273696

Sorry I have been so reclusive, school and work take up most of my time.....Nags Head tends to be a bit more popular of a tourist destination, which can obviously have it's good points and bad points. To be honest, I am not very versed in either location- too rich for my blood-but I can get you any and all info you need on these places, I have friends who travel extensively to both. Just let me know whatever you need, I promise to be on more frequently!

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th July 2014 - 01:04 PM
Top Hotel Destinations in USA

Albuquerque Hotels
Anaheim Hotels
Atlanta Hotels
Austin Hotels
Boston Hotels
Branson Hotels
Charlotte Hotels
Chicago Hotels
Columbus Hotels
Dallas Hotels
Denver Hotels
Fort Lauderdale Hotels
Honolulu Hotels
Houston Hotels
Indianapolis Hotels
Jacksonville Hotels
Kansas City Hotels
Kissimmee Hotels
Las Vegas Hotels
Los Angeles Hotels
Memphis Hotels
Miami Hotels
Miami Beach Hotels
Myrtle Beach Hotels
Nashville Hotels
New Orleans Hotels
New York City Hotels
Orlando Hotels
Philadelphia Hotels
Phoenix Hotels
Portland Hotels
Saint Louis Hotels
San Antonio Hotels
San Diego Hotels
San Francisco Hotels
Scottsdale Hotels
Seattle Hotels
Tampa Hotels
Tucson Hotels
Washington DC Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.