Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 3 weeks for Xmas and New Years
nattynat
post Sep 4 2009, 07:43 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 321011

Hi

I was wondering if any one could give me some advise. I'm heading to Brazil Dec for three weeks - We will be bussing most of the way to keep cost down but not 100% sure on our itinerary

Thinking maybe

Sao Paulo.....Iguazu falls.....Florianopolis......Ilha Grand and Rio for new years

Can anyone advise where would be good spot for Christmas? Would love a nice beach that is a little lively...?

Also, Where would be the best area/beach to stay whilst in Florianopolis.... how long would you suggest to stay for?

We are on holiday this time around, so ideally like it to be quite relaxing.

Thank you
Nats
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
wakingdream
post Sep 4 2009, 10:06 AM
Post #2

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 13336

Your itinerary sounds good though there are other, more experienced experts that might offer some better insight into your choices. You'll be visiting some top destinations, that's for sure!

Florianopolis beaches; there are many! In the southern part there are some more remote beaches like Lagoinha do Leste and Ribeirão da Ilha. These can only be reached by a walking trail but are lovely and much less frequented. Perfect for some peaceful R&R. There's a lagoon at Conceicao. There are lots of natural attractions to check out. The area can be busy but is well known for great food and entertainment.

Floripa has more than 100 beaches in total so it's hard to cover all of them! Hopefully someone has some personal suggestions. I've been traveling in Brazil but not much in those parts.

Are you looking for a post to try out some watersports? If you're into swimming there are some beaches that are lovely but not good for swimming. Some good swimming beaches are Canasvieiras, Jururê, and Praia dos Ingleses.

Can anyone advise where would be good spot for Christmas? Would love a nice beach that is a little lively...?

Take a look at your plans. What area do you think you'll be in around the Christmas holidays? If you can narrow it down I'n sure we can come up with some good suggestions for an X-Mas break yes.gif

--------------------
~Susie

'Yesterday's the past and tomorrow's the future. Today is a gift - which is why they call it the present.'
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
kathryn77
post Sep 4 2009, 03:44 PM
Post #3

Vagabond

Member No.: 30044

Hi Nats,

Firstly, have you booked accommodation for Rio New Years? You will be lucky to find a room at this stage, and if you do, the prices will be high, and they always make you book for x number of days (think it's 4 or 5) Totally not wanting to put a dampener on this, just want to make sure you're not expecting to turn up and get something in Rio at that time of year. If you want a contact for apartments if you're struggling, then let me know as I have a couple of people who might be able to help (I lived there for 5 months)

Ilha Grande is the same either side of New Years with people en-route / leaving Rio - you will have to book.

I was in Rio for New Year last year, and I headed to Buzios after New Year - I'd never been before when I lived in Rio, but it was beautiful. The only 'problem' was it's rainy season, so it rained the whole time I was there - but that can happen anywhere really at that time of year, it is just your luck (It's boiling hot at the other extreme when it's not raining!). Buzios might be a good place for Christmas - it's lovely, and lots of nice beaches too, then you're just a few hours north of Rio to get there for New Year...but as Waking Dream said, it'd be good to know where you're likely to be just before Christmas, then we might be able to make better suggestions smile.gif

I'm so jealous!! Make sure you get your white outfit ready for the Copacabana beach party at New Year!!!

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
wakingdream
post Sep 4 2009, 04:49 PM
Post #4

Rolling Stone

Member No.: 13336

I'm so jealous!! Make sure you get your white outfit ready for the Copacabana beach party at New Year!!!

Fun! I guess that's the trend then? A white outfit? So you'd really stand out if you wore, say, red? smile.gif

--------------------
~Susie

'Yesterday's the past and tomorrow's the future. Today is a gift - which is why they call it the present.'
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
kathryn77
post Sep 6 2009, 03:31 PM
Post #5

Vagabond

QUOTE(wakingdream @ Sep 4 2009, 10:49 PM) *

Fun! I guess that's the trend then? A white outfit? So you'd really stand out if you wore, say, red? smile.gif

You would, yeah - people would know you were a tourist for sure!!

I think it's kinda nice - white symbolises peace, and everyone wears white down on the beach for the celebrations - in such a divided society like Rio, it means everyone is the same and out for the same aim - to have fun - on that one night. It looks amazing as well - seeing everyone dressed in white

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
emmad2010
post Sep 18 2009, 07:19 AM
Post #6

Group: Members
Member No.: 318511

Wow this is really useful

I'm also in that part of Brazil for Christmas Nats! but have no plans. Oooops. Headin to Argentina for New Year though.

Thank you!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
kathryn77
post Sep 18 2009, 03:21 PM
Post #7

Vagabond

QUOTE(andre-st0ne @ Sep 17 2009, 05:07 AM) *

I really don't know much about hostels in my city (for plainly reasons). But I know this one that looks very nice, and it's perfectly located in Copacabana:
http://www.stoneofabeach.com.br/

There's a nice club on the lower flor too, named "Clandestino".

Yeah, that's the one I worked in - Stone of a Beach - but the New Years rooms were fully booked by halfway through the year...

I was a regular at Clandestino's too, and my friend Julia worked in the bar in the basement. Do you go? I probably would recognise you if you do, rsrsrsrs!!

QUOTE(emmad2010 @ Sep 18 2009, 01:19 PM) *

I'm also in that part of Brazil for Christmas Nats! but have no plans. Oooops. Headin to Argentina for New Year though.

Thank you!

Cool, let us know if you need any more advice smile.gif I'm so jealous!!

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
kathryn77
post Sep 22 2009, 02:30 PM
Post #8

Vagabond

QUOTE(andre-st0ne @ Sep 22 2009, 03:15 AM) *

Yeah, that's the one I worked in - Stone of a Beach - but the New Years rooms were fully booked by halfway through the year...

I was a regular at Clandestino's too, and my friend Julia worked in the bar in the basement. Do you go? I probably would recognise you if you do, rsrsrsrs!!

QUOTE(emmad2010 @ Sep 18 2009, 01:19 PM) *

I must have been there about six or five times, but I just met the place just this year... You worked there? Cool! When exactely?

I worked there between August and December 2007 I think, and I was back for a holiday last New Year for the Reveillon em Copacabana! Brilliant!

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th August 2014 - 06:53 AM
Top Hotel Destinations in Brazil

Angra Dos Reis Hotels
Aracaju Hotels
Arraial d'Ajuda Hotels
Balneario Camboriu Hotels
Barueri Hotels
Belem Hotels
Belo Horizonte Hotels
Brasilia Hotels
Buzios Hotels
Campinas Hotels
Campo Grande Hotels
Curitiba Hotels
Florianopolis Hotels
Fortaleza Hotels
Foz de Iguacu Hotels
Goiania Hotels
Guaruja Hotels
Guarulhos Hotels
Jericoacoara Hotels
Joao Pessoa Hotels
Joinville Hotels
Londrina Hotels
Macae Hotels
Maceio Hotels
Manaus Hotels
Morro de Sao Paulo Hotels
Natal Hotels
Paraty Hotels
Porto Alegre Hotels
Porto Seguro Hotels
Porto de Galinhas Hotels
Praia do Forte Hotels
Recife Hotels
Ribeirao Preto Hotels
Rio de Janeiro Hotels
Salvador Hotels
Sao Jose Dos Campos Hotels
Sao Paulo Hotels
Trancoso Hotels
Vitoria Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.