Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Gili Islands overrated
westozgal
post Jul 23 2009, 06:53 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 289590
Nominate me as a Local Expert

Tropical paradise or environmental vandalism?

If are you grasping for a cheap holiday a visit to the Gili Islands off the coast of Lombok and Bali, will ultimately have a cost beyond the rupiah.

Everything you buy, or service you use - all fresh water, food and the staff of the places you will eat, drink and stay, are freighted onto this desert island. So, itís a fantasy set up for tourists that is environmentally unsustainable.

Although we didnít dive we did hire a glass bottomed boat to do some island hopping and snorkelling amongst the mostly bleached coral reef where we attempted to dodge the plastic flotsam.

Our cravings for dining out and eating a genuine Indonesian/ Gili Island meal were left unmet in this fake place where the only restaurants are those set up on the beach for tourists.

If you have any compassion for living things, donít try saving rupiah by overloading all your luggage and travel party into one poor pony cart. The price for two wonít blow the budget... and youíre on holiday so take the luxury of having the the driver slow down, see the sites and spare the sweat of your pony. And just spare a thought for the services cart ponies who must ferry all goods from the harbour. Look with open eyes and donít use a pony which is lame or suffering pain if you must take a ride rather than walk. When choosing your driver for getting to and from your accommodation and warung tell them you wonít tolerate. a skeletal horse or one with sores around the girth. Let your money talk.

Overall ,we were really disappointed with Gili T, especially after all the hyped reviews we had read. What really spoiled our stay was the treatment of the ponies, many were underfed, overworked in high temperatures, often overloaded by lazy western tourists who seemed oblivious to the plight of the poor beasts. I am pretty ashamed of the huge environmental footprint I made by staying on this island.

User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Jul 23 2009, 09:38 AM
Post #2

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 103914

Interesting. I think that most people here would agree that places overloaded with tourists are generally bad for the environment. Right?

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
sqm
post Jul 23 2009, 01:03 PM
Post #3

Wayfarer

Member No.: 281516

The part about the ponies really got to me. I often assume the humane treatment of animals because animal rights are highly regarded in Canada. I don't think I'll be going to Gili Islands. If I do, I'll be bringing my "FREE THE PONIES" signs with me.

--------------------
SQM

Check out my travel blogs
Evaluate It blogs. Share your experiences; travel for less.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
azreal
post Jul 23 2009, 03:37 PM
Post #4

Expeditionist

Member No.: 289202

QUOTE(starlagurl @ Jul 23 2009, 10:38 AM) *

Interesting. I think that most people here would agree that places overloaded with tourists are generally bad for the environment. Right?

You would know Mz. Niagara Falls. tongue.gif
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Jul 23 2009, 03:40 PM
Post #5

Rolling Stone

Member No.: 103914

Would I, Mr. Mysterious?

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
azreal
post Jul 23 2009, 03:41 PM
Post #6

Expeditionist

Member No.: 289202

and the plot thickens.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
balifamous
post Jul 26 2009, 11:18 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 290342

No problem

Go on holidays to Bali than :-)
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
symai
post Aug 10 2009, 05:30 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 294444

I stayed at Gili for 5 days this summer. The treatment of the horses was terrible!!.. most of the horses had big open sores around the girth (orange size) and were very skinny! They worked all day in the sun (and night) and I could not see them get water.. I`m sure some of them will not last longer than this summer..they looked very sic!! When I confronted the drivers with this, they got angry and told me that it was no problem.. This was a problem for me and will be a problem for them if they dont start treating the horses better.. I understand that they have another culture..but another culture does not give you the right to treat animals bad..!!

Making horses work to earn money for your family is OK. That`s not the problem..But the horses need food, wather, some rest and the open sores must be treated. That`s all I`m asking for..If you are Indonesian living on Gili, please take responsibility for this and help the horse owners learn how to treat their animals!! If you are a tourist visiting Gili; DO NOT SUPPORT THIS ANIMAL CRULTY BY USING THE HORSE TRANSPORT!! Please!!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
danstravelworld
post Aug 24 2009, 09:02 AM
Post #9

Voyager

Member No.: 104714

Wowee, I stayed across the Gili's this year for a couple of weeks and yes the horses weren't the best. But, I'm not trying to defend what you may have seen, bear in mind the horses are very expensive to the locals there and the worse they are, the less work they get out of the horse and resultant income to the family. Some of the guys we met on the other Gili's looked after their horses pretty darn well. After all, no horse, no money...

If you only stayed on Gili T then I agree, the Gili's are terrible. Gili T was solely there for the purpose of dive resorts and anywhere that already has an Irish Bar is going to have that type of atmosphere. Kuta for example...we couldn't get off quick enough.

Gili Meno and Gili Air were a lot nicer. We were lucky enough to stay somewhere and eat local food (mainly freshly caught fish!) daily. Agreed, they had options for the slightly 'less adventurous' tourist but it was available nonetheless. The family we stayed with were born on the island, but educated on Lombok. The water was ground source, the vegetables were from their garden and the fish from the seas around the island. Breakfast was eggs from their chickens and baked bread. There was limited electricity and the main imports were fresh water and alcohol. I didn't consider this too bad. I think there is plenty of choice available for the more discerning traveller. I'm the first to admit I'm probably not the most enviro-conscious traveller - I try my hardest - but at the same time I still believe there are options about to suit.

I think all in all the Gili's are only really a dive resort that has thrived because of the good quality of sights there and hence there's nothing on the islands. I enjoyed my time on Gili Air and Gili Meno. I wouldn't recommend a trip to Gili T though.

Avoid the horses or bear in mind the previous advice when using one, but don't ignore Gili A & M altogether. The waters are amazing. I didn't see any rubbish. I did see a fantastic underwater life and some huge turtles though.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
kimadam
post May 31 2012, 09:10 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 2929253

I have visited Gili Islands, Lombok, Indonesia first time. I really enjoyed the trip with my friends. We did enjoy a lot.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
kimadam
post May 31 2012, 09:12 AM
Post #11

I have visited Gili Islands, Lombok, Indonesia first time. I really enjoyed the trip with my friends. We did enjoy a lot.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
kimadam
post May 31 2012, 09:13 AM
Post #12

peregrine travel
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
villaholidays
post Apr 10 2013, 02:24 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 3737123

There are tons of guests going to Gili Island so I assume the place is left with lots of trash and also, probably worn out. For me it's quite exploited by the people since thousands are visiting the island every year. The best thing to do for the local authorities is to reinforce the maintenance and the clean up drive of Gili.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2014 - 12:35 PM
Top Hotel Destinations in Indonesia

Amed Hotels
Balikpapan Hotels
Banda Aceh Hotels
Bandung Hotels
Bekasi Hotels
Bogor Hotels
Bukittinggi Hotels
Candidasa Hotels
Canggu Hotels
Cirebon Hotels
Denpasar Hotels
Gianyar Hotels
Jakarta Hotels
Jimbaran Hotels
Karangasem Hotels
Kerobokan Hotels
Kuta Hotels
Legian Hotels
Makassar Hotels
Malang Hotels
Manado Hotels
Mataram Hotels
Medan Hotels
Nusa Dua Hotels
Padang Hotels
Palembang Hotels
Pekanbaru Hotels
Samarinda Hotels
Sanur Hotels
Semarang Hotels
Seminyak Hotels
Singaraja Hotels
Solo Hotels
Surabaya Hotels
Tabanan Hotels
Tuban Hotels
Tulamben Hotels
Ubud Hotels
Uluwatu Hotels
Yogyakarta Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.