Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Myanmar Suggestions
vlogabond
post Feb 22 2007, 09:20 PM
Post #1

Wanderer

Group: Members
Member No.: 30641

Hey,

We are flying out from Bangkok to Yangon within the next few days, and are looking for any general advice for the country of Myanmar (including tips on survival). Most importantly, we are curious of two things. Firstly, is it possible to fly into Myanmar, and then 'escape' through the northern border of Thailand? Secondly, what are some sites/activities that we should not skip on our two week sojourn?

the boys from Vlogabond,
Justin & Dan
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
technotrekker
post Feb 24 2007, 02:24 PM
Post #2

Explorer

Member No.: 231

Myanmar is pretty straightforward really - temples, temples and more temples. Definitely spend a few days in Yangon (the nightlife is interesting if you can hook up with people at your hostel) and Bagan and Inle Lake are other must sees.

I would have liked to get out to the big gold balancing rock which is east of Yangon but that wasn't to be. Don't bother with the south of the country, nor spending more than a day or two in Mandalay.

You can certainly fly in (from Bangkok, Dakar etc) and then exit over one of the open borders. Re the border exit in the north east, here's the reply to your email that might be of interest to others in the future:

The border crossing itself is no problem - quite a large complex that processes a lot of people per day. Can't comment on a south to north crossing but suspect that as long as you have you have your papers in order it would be fine going that way as well.

Do note that you won't get too much further than a place near Tachialek called Kengtung, unless you're happy to fly to Mandalay, Inle or Yangon. Most of the area between the border and the central part of the country is off limits to tourists travelling overland.

Have a good one,
tt

--------------------
Overland from Sydney to Scotland - via a wintry Siberia! Photoblog here.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
grammiecat
post Jan 7 2008, 08:51 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 123155

QUOTE(technotrekker @ Feb 24 2007, 02:24 PM) *

Myanmar is pretty straightforward really - temples, temples and more temples. Definitely spend a few days in Yangon (the nightlife is interesting if you can hook up with people at your hostel) and Bagan and Inle Lake are other must sees.

I would have liked to get out to the big gold balancing rock which is east of Yangon but that wasn't to be. Don't bother with the south of the country, nor spending more than a day or two in Mandalay.

You can certainly fly in (from Bangkok, Dakar etc) and then exit over one of the open borders. Re the border exit in the north east, here's the reply to your email that might be of interest to others in the future:

The border crossing itself is no problem - quite a large complex that processes a lot of people per day. Can't comment on a south to north crossing but suspect that as long as you have you have your papers in order it would be fine going that way as well.

Do note that you won't get too much further than a place near Tachialek called Kengtung, unless you're happy to fly to Mandalay, Inle or Yangon. Most of the area between the border and the central part of the country is off limits to tourists travelling overland.

Have a good one,
tt

Hi Technotrekker
I'm new to this website. Am planning SE Asia trip and have about 4-5 days to spend extra time around Bangkok; thought I'd fly over to Yangon and spend them there. Am a solo-traveling Grandma, strong and healthy, have all my shots and fairly well traveled already. Do you have any recommendations re Yangon / Myanmar? Any places I might stay? How I might get a guide for a couple of days? Any precautions? And what shouldn't I miss?? Thanks much for your time and input.
GrammieCat
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
svastika
post Sep 22 2008, 02:21 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 243258

QUOTE(grammiecat @ Jan 7 2008, 08:51 PM) *

QUOTE(technotrekker @ Feb 24 2007, 02:24 PM) *

Have a good one,
tt

Hi Technotrekker
I'm new to this website. Am planning SE Asia trip and have about 4-5 days to spend extra time around Bangkok; thought I'd fly over to Yangon and spend them there. Am a solo-traveling Grandma, strong and healthy, have all my shots and fairly well traveled already. Do you have any recommendations re Yangon / Myanmar? Any places I might stay? How I might get a guide for a couple of days? Any precautions? And what shouldn't I miss?? Thanks much for your time and input.
GrammieCat

hello GrammieCat,

i am also a new member of this site. when i look in i found your. you could have one guide .not need to be aware of any situation except politicatal. now it is easy and calm dowm at all areas. because i am from Myanmar and tour guide as well. if you visit here i can help you.
My name is ko ko latt.
if you need any ingormation do not hesitate to ask to me.

Best regards'
svastika (ko ko)
ko.kk.latt@gmail.com
959 907 1608
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st July 2014 - 09:45 AM
Top Hotel Destinations in Myanmar

Bagan Hotels
Bago Hotels
Bhamo Hotels
Chaungtha Hotels
Heho Hotels
Hsipaw Hotels
Inle Lake Hotels
Kalaw Hotels
Kalaymyo Hotels
Kengtung Hotels
Kyaikto Hotels
Kyaing Tong Hotels
Lashio Hotels
Magwe Hotels
Mandalay Hotels
Mawlamyine Hotels
Maymyo Hotels
Monywa Hotels
Mrauk U Hotels
Myeik (Mergui) Archipelago Hotels
Myitkyina Hotels
Naypyidaw Hotels
Ngapali Hotels
Ngwe Saung Hotels
Nyaung Shwe Hotels
Nyaungshwe Hotels
Nyaungu Hotels
Pa-an Hotels
Pathein Hotels
Pindaya Hotels
Putao Hotels
Pyay Hotels
Sagaing Hotels
Sittwe Hotels
Taungoo Hotels
Thahtay Kyun Island Hotels
Yangon (Rangoon) Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.