Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

6 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 6 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Why people stay away from the USA
shangguan
post Jan 23 2009, 10:31 PM
Post #61

Pathfinder

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 255321

QUOTE(mysheri80 @ Apr 18 2008, 01:31 PM) *

yeah i have to admit, americans are not welcomed with open arms in many places. when i go traveling i say i'm from canada. ha.

cheap tickets

After living in China for 5 years I've learned to always say I am from Mexico. It actually saves me a whole lot of headaches and money.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
shangguan
post Jan 23 2009, 10:39 PM
Post #62

Pathfinder

Member No.: 255321

QUOTE(mmbcross @ Jun 10 2008, 11:31 AM) *

Sorry about that, but to my mind guns are made to kill, be it humans or animals. I cannot see any amusement in shooting animals. I sincerely doubt if gun deaths are higher in South Africa than in the US, of that there is more crime in the UK. I may be wrong, so I would be interested to read the article. Here is an interesting, albeit somewhat outdated discussion.
http://time-blog.com/swampland/2007/04/gun...not_likely.html

I grew up in a village of less than 200 people in the top of Wisconsin. If we didn't have rifles, we simply did not eat. Heck, we didn't have running water until the mid 80's. I think a major difference is that since firearms were such an important part of our life/survival, we grew up respecting them and never took them as a toy. After highschool my family moved to a more populated area. I haven't shot a firearm since. To me they were simply a tool for survival. I don't have any problem with people owning firearms as long as they follow the laws, are educated about them, and have a fair amount of common sense.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
zijuzijazijana
post Jan 24 2009, 04:23 AM
Post #63

Drifter

Group: Members
Member No.: 254315
Nominate me as a Local Expert

QUOTE(scottshangguan @ Jan 23 2009, 10:39 PM) *

QUOTE(mmbcross @ Jun 10 2008, 11:31 AM) *

Sorry about that, but to my mind guns are made to kill, be it humans or animals. I cannot see any amusement in shooting animals. I sincerely doubt if gun deaths are higher in South Africa than in the US, of that there is more crime in the UK. I may be wrong, so I would be interested to read the article. Here is an interesting, albeit somewhat outdated discussion.
http://time-blog.com/swampland/2007/04/gun...not_likely.html

I grew up in a village of less than 200 people in the top of Wisconsin. If we didn't have rifles, we simply did not eat. Heck, we didn't have running water until the mid 80's. I think a major difference is that since firearms were such an important part of our life/survival, we grew up respecting them and never took them as a toy. After highschool my family moved to a more populated area. I haven't shot a firearm since. To me they were simply a tool for survival. I don't have any problem with people owning firearms as long as they follow the laws, are educated about them, and have a fair amount of common sense.

I don't have anything against guns and I agree with you on the subject.I don't know why this subject appeared in our conversation about travel. flowers.png
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
zijuzijazijana
post Jan 24 2009, 04:31 AM
Post #64

Drifter

QUOTE(scottshangguan @ Jan 23 2009, 10:31 PM) *

QUOTE(mysheri80 @ Apr 18 2008, 01:31 PM) *

yeah i have to admit, americans are not welcomed with open arms in many places. when i go traveling i say i'm from canada. ha.

cheap tickets

After living in China for 5 years I've learned to always say I am from Mexico. It actually saves me a whole lot of headaches and money.

Good idea ,from now on I'm from Canada as well.I don't speak Spanish,so I wouldn't pass for Mexican.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Jan 26 2009, 09:39 AM
Post #65

Rolling Stone

Member No.: 103914

*sigh*
It's so sad. I hope one day, you can be proud of your citizenship. It's too bad that people equate the politicians with the individuals sometimes and then you have to resort to this.

Scott: What kind of animals did you hunt?

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
rbisset
post Jan 26 2009, 09:59 AM
Post #66

Planet Pioneer

Member No.: 692

Have you seen the new restrictions on entering the US? This is what appears on the ESTA website when you request permission to enter their country:

"You are about to access a Department of Homeland Security computer system. This computer system and data therein are property of the U.S. Government and provided for official U.S. Government information and use. There is no expectation of privacy when you use this computer system. The use of a password or any other security measure does not establish an expectation of privacy. By using this system, you consent to the terms set forth in this notice. You may not process classified national security information on this computer system. Access to this system is restricted to authorized users only. Unauthorized access, use, or modification of this system or of data contained herein, or in transit to/from this system, may constitute a violation of section 1030 of title 18 of the U.S. Code and other criminal laws. Anyone who accesses a Federal computer system without authorization or exceeds access authority, or obtains, alters, damages, destroys, or discloses information, or prevents authorized use of information on the computer system, may be subject to penalties, fines or imprisonment. This computer system and any related equipment is subject to monitoring for administrative oversight, law enforcement, criminal investigative purposes, inquiries into alleged wrongdoing or misuse, and to ensure proper performance of applicable security features and procedures. DHS may conduct monitoring activities without further notice."

Not very welcoming is it?

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
zijuzijazijana
post Jan 26 2009, 10:04 AM
Post #67

Drifter

QUOTE(starlagurl @ Jan 26 2009, 09:39 AM) *

*sigh*
It's so sad. I hope one day, you can be proud of your citizenship. It's too bad that people equate the politicians with the individuals sometimes and then you have to resort to this.

Scott: What kind of animals did you hunt?

I love animals that's why I wouldn't hurt any of them,as far as my citizenship I'm proud of it all the time.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
skylab
post Jan 26 2009, 10:19 AM
Post #68

World Traveler

Member No.: 228012

*sigh*

I HATE HATE when people lie about where they are from.

Hiding from your citizenship only encourages the belief that america is a bad place. I will always proudly say I'm american no matter where I am. I can guarantee anyone here that if someone got to me know before I said I am american, their view of a personality of an american will completely confuse their mind. If someone is going to judge me because I am american, they were better off not getting to know any better anyway so they saved my time.

Seriously for anyone who says their from another country they are not from.. they completely lost the meaning of travel and should just stay at home if they feel that "unsafe".

ranting2.gif

--------------------
DJSkylab.com: My blog :)
ArtOfBackpacking.com: Backpacking Independent International Traveler
Facebook
"They always say time changes things, but you actually have to change them yourself." -Andy Warhol
"My body has certainly wandered a good deal, but I have an uneasy suspicion that my mind has not wandered enough." -Noel Coward
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
rbisset
post Jan 26 2009, 10:25 AM
Post #69

Planet Pioneer

Member No.: 692

I have to say I only met 1 bad American whilst on the road. She thought it was a good idea to do a visa run to Malaysia wearing hotpants and a tiny top! Was quite funny when she was getting jeered by 40+ men at the border tongue.gif

The rest of the Americans I have met were all sound biggrin.gif Friendly, helpful and up for a laugh.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
mmbcross
post Jan 26 2009, 10:58 AM
Post #70

Tripper

Member No.: 2195

Contrary to all probability, I have found that telling everyone I live in the United States has been a wonderful conversation opener. I have had many long and fascinating discussions about the world scene which I would probably not have had by saying I was English. Without exception people have shown an interest in our policies. I must admit that telling them I support Barack Obama is a great help. I am not sure if I would have had the same favourable reaction if I had said I voted for George Bush. Everyone overseas seems to emphasize with Obama. On my last visit to Lima in November, they were selling a biography of Barack Obama on street corners for S/. 1.00 ( US$ 0.32), and they were disappearing like hot cakes.

I think most educated people realise we have just been through a bad period, and that the people of the United States have finally come to their senses.

There....now you all know who I voted for!

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
zijuzijazijana
post Jan 26 2009, 11:01 AM
Post #71

Drifter

QUOTE(skylab @ Jan 26 2009, 10:19 AM) *

*sigh*

I HATE HATE when people lie about where they are from.

Hiding from your citizenship only encourages the belief that america is a bad place. I will always proudly say I'm american no matter where I am. I can guarantee anyone here that if someone got to me know before I said I am american, their view of a personality of an american will completely confuse their mind. If someone is going to judge me because I am american, they were better off not getting to know any better anyway so they saved my time.

Seriously for anyone who says their from another country they are not from.. they completely lost the meaning of travel and should just stay at home if they feel that "unsafe".

ranting2.gif

I'm proud to be American but sometimes that's a matter of life and death to admit to it,did you think about that?I wouldn't even think,that it is so bad outside of USA but it is and it's a reality of life.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Jan 26 2009, 11:49 AM
Post #72

Rolling Stone

Where is it a matter of life or death? Are you going to one of those places?

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
skylab
post Jan 26 2009, 12:15 PM
Post #73

World Traveler

Member No.: 228012

QUOTE(starlagurl @ Jan 26 2009, 11:49 AM) *

lol!

--------------------
DJSkylab.com: My blog :)
ArtOfBackpacking.com: Backpacking Independent International Traveler
Facebook
"They always say time changes things, but you actually have to change them yourself." -Andy Warhol
"My body has certainly wandered a good deal, but I have an uneasy suspicion that my mind has not wandered enough." -Noel Coward
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
zijuzijazijana
post Jan 26 2009, 01:10 PM
Post #74

Drifter

QUOTE(skylab @ Jan 26 2009, 12:15 PM) *

QUOTE(starlagurl @ Jan 26 2009, 11:49 AM) *

lol!

Let's not duscuss it.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Jan 26 2009, 01:11 PM
Post #75

Rolling Stone

Oh sorry, I was just curious.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
ivingaux
post Aug 16 2009, 08:52 AM
Post #76

Member No.: 295826

Landing in LA after easy going arrivals in so many other places was bemusing.
First, my landing card required my hotel name and address. I didn't have one. Rejected at the desk.
So I borrowed a pen and wrote "Sheraton, LA". I looked like a hippie. "Welcome to America" they said. Then some immigration bod decided I wasn't mainstream enough and sent me and my backpack for inspection. The young woman(20s) who took my backpack apart was friendly and chatty. I cringed as she opened the plastic bag with yesterday's used socks and underwear, she queried the anti-malarial drugs from my time in Asia, I was obviously suspect. As she worked I casually put my hands in my pockets. "Take your hands from your pockets Sir, You may be carrying a concealed weapon" Ouch! Paranoia.
Then to Greyhound Buses. Numerous signs saying "Don't do this" or "that" subject to statute number this or that. Don't approach the driver or he/she'll freak. The only sign on a UK National Bus is on the seat in front. It says "Thankyou for not smoking"
Scary paranoia, they're coming to kill us. Whoa!!
The everyday Americans I met were lovely, friendly,polite, normal. Above all, normal.
Nothing more to say.
But the point of entry, how to lose business.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
zijuzijazijana
post Aug 17 2009, 03:56 AM
Post #77

Drifter

QUOTE(ivingaux @ Aug 16 2009, 08:52 AM) *

First, my landing card required my hotel name and address. I didn't have one. Rejected at the desk.
So I borrowed a pen and wrote "Sheraton, LA". I looked like a hippie. "Welcome to America" they said. Then some immigration bod decided I wasn't mainstream enough and sent me and my backpack for inspection. The young woman(20s) who took my backpack apart was friendly and chatty. I cringed as she opened the plastic bag with yesterday's used socks and underwear, she queried the anti-malarial drugs from my time in Asia, I was obviously suspect. As she worked I casually put my hands in my pockets. "Take your hands from your pockets Sir, You may be carrying a concealed weapon" Ouch! Paranoia.
Then to Greyhound Buses. Numerous signs saying "Don't do this" or "that" subject to statute number this or that. Don't approach the driver or he/she'll freak. The only sign on a UK National Bus is on the seat in front. It says "Thankyou for not smoking"
The everyday Americans I met were lovely, friendly,polite, normal. Above all, normal.
Nothing more to say.

Hi,
Where are you from?
I see you are comparing USA to UK.It's difficult to have a big picture of the entire country when you have a chance to travel to one place in this country.Besides LA is a very specific place,not like the rest of US.Each end every State in US is a very unique and specific place just like aech and every country in Europe is unique and different.
I don't care for UK,so I don't go there. flowers.png
Greetings from Poland,
Zijuzijazijana
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Aug 17 2009, 09:26 AM
Post #78

Rolling Stone

QUOTE(ivingaux @ Aug 16 2009, 09:52 AM) *
Nothing more to say.

Interesting story, but you're right. Everyday people are usually pretty awesome. It's when people "are just doing their jobs" that things get out of hand and humanity is forgotten.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
sarah820w
post Sep 11 2009, 08:01 PM
Post #79

Drifter

Member No.: 341521

To me alot of it lately ist he economy, also people just do not like Americans from what I gather. WHo knows but I do know the economy has played a huge role in it.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
mmbcross
post Sep 21 2009, 11:35 AM
Post #80

Tripper

Member No.: 2195

Is this one more annoying tactic? Will it put you off? How many more taxes can they pile on travellers before they just decide to stay at home?

What more can the U.S. Government do to make us feel uncomfortable about going there?

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

6 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 6 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th July 2014 - 12:28 AM
Top Hotel Destinations in USA

Albuquerque Hotels
Anaheim Hotels
Atlanta Hotels
Austin Hotels
Boston Hotels
Branson Hotels
Charlotte Hotels
Chicago Hotels
Columbus Hotels
Dallas Hotels
Denver Hotels
Fort Lauderdale Hotels
Honolulu Hotels
Houston Hotels
Indianapolis Hotels
Jacksonville Hotels
Kansas City Hotels
Kissimmee Hotels
Las Vegas Hotels
Los Angeles Hotels
Memphis Hotels
Miami Hotels
Miami Beach Hotels
Myrtle Beach Hotels
Nashville Hotels
New Orleans Hotels
New York City Hotels
Orlando Hotels
Philadelphia Hotels
Phoenix Hotels
Portland Hotels
Saint Louis Hotels
San Antonio Hotels
San Diego Hotels
San Francisco Hotels
Scottsdale Hotels
Seattle Hotels
Tampa Hotels
Tucson Hotels
Washington DC Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.