Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Brazilian police
kathryn77
post Aug 1 2009, 06:35 AM
Post #1

Vagabond

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 30044

These two girls (who, if they are guilty, should have known better as they are law graduates) have found themselves in a Brazilian jail (without bail) after reporting a theft on a bus (items later claimed to have been found in the girls hostel)

Read the article here

Do not mess with Brazilian police.

When I was living there, gringos were always reporting thefts in hostels. Personally, I think most of these claims were similar insurance scams, but what they didn't think of (if they were scams) was the consequences - cleaners losing their jobs for example because the hostel owner acted as the police in those situations - firing them (without proof) for theft, as they'd been the unlucky one cleaning the room that day.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
sianeth
post Aug 1 2009, 10:16 AM
Post #2

Jet Setter

Member No.: 60100

It'll be interesting to see if more information comes out about what really happened, and whether it was a scam or not, I don't want to make any judgements of them on this info alone.

I just can't understand the mindset of anyone who would want to actually pull an insurance scam like this... if no-one else had ever thought of it, it would literally never cross my mind that anything like that was even a possibility - as you said it just ends up screwing other people over out of greed. Even if things got nicked from me I'd probably blame myself for being careless and not want to kick up a fuss about it and try and just learn my lesson for next time.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
mmbcross
post Aug 4 2009, 11:42 AM
Post #3

Tripper

Member No.: 2195

Sianeth, you are so honest. Oh that everyone were like you.

When I lived in Brazil we often received American Express travelers cheques in payment for tours or services. We always made sure the signatures agreed. Then we started getting denied payment as the owners of the cheques claimed they had been stolen. We later found out that it wasn't exactly a scam, as the cheques were indeed stolen, but the owners had not kept a record of the cheques used, so just declared all of them stolen. This was beginning to happen so often that most merchants in Rio stopped accepting American Express travellers cheques.

Fortunately Travellers cheques are now pretty much a thing of the past.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
kilgiraffe
post Aug 5 2009, 10:06 AM
Post #4

Expeditionist

Member No.: 285187

I don't think I've ever touched a travellers cheque..

But that sounds kinda stupid. If you're going to do something like that, don't keep the items on you *rolls eyes* Sigh, people and their greed.. But if that amount of stuff had actually gotten stolen from me and I had insurance, I would've probably make some form of claim. That's a lot of things to just "brush off".. otherwise, I agree with sianeth tongue.gif

--------------------
Sarah: Little girl, big dreams. Currently living in Scotland
British born, Barbados raised, slowly but surely getting out there. One day..
Next trips: Australia Late March-April; Europe Late June-Mid August
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th July 2014 - 11:58 AM
Top Hotel Destinations in Brazil

Angra Dos Reis Hotels
Aracaju Hotels
Arraial d'Ajuda Hotels
Balneario Camboriu Hotels
Barueri Hotels
Belem Hotels
Belo Horizonte Hotels
Brasilia Hotels
Buzios Hotels
Campinas Hotels
Campo Grande Hotels
Curitiba Hotels
Florianopolis Hotels
Fortaleza Hotels
Foz de Iguacu Hotels
Goiania Hotels
Guaruja Hotels
Guarulhos Hotels
Jericoacoara Hotels
Joao Pessoa Hotels
Joinville Hotels
Londrina Hotels
Macae Hotels
Maceio Hotels
Manaus Hotels
Morro de Sao Paulo Hotels
Natal Hotels
Paraty Hotels
Porto Alegre Hotels
Porto Seguro Hotels
Porto de Galinhas Hotels
Praia do Forte Hotels
Recife Hotels
Ribeirao Preto Hotels
Rio de Janeiro Hotels
Salvador Hotels
Sao Jose Dos Campos Hotels
Sao Paulo Hotels
Trancoso Hotels
Vitoria Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.