Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Off the beaten path: California
starlagurl
post May 7 2009, 03:52 PM
Post #1

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 103914

Travebuddy came up with a bunch of suggestions for the mostly-missed destinations in Cali. What do you think? Worth it? Not worth it?

1. Monterey Cities along Highway 1 were a popular theme. Check out the Monterey Bay Aquarium.

2. Santa Cruz Monterey’s northern cousin was also very popular for hiking, the boardwalk and beaches during the summer months.

3. Palm Springs - Popular Labor Day weekend destination for hiking, dining and as a local escape from Los Angeles.

4. Lake Tahoe - Lake Tahoe is known for its snow sports, but it was also popular during the summer months for water-skiing, hiking, fishing, and exploring nearby “ice caves.”

5. Napa Valley - This wine-tasting mecca was a favorite weekend getaway for Bay Area natives.

6. Joshua Tree National Park - TravBuddies endured attacks by flying bats to witness beautiful sunrises and spectacular hiking among the alien landscape of Joshua trees.

7. San Simeon - Hearst Castle was a popular stop, as were the 2-ton elephant seals that gather along the shores here.

8. Laguna Beach - Beautiful beaches and the annual Festival of the Arts made this laid back community another favorite along Highway 1.

9. Big Sur – Despite the fires, solitude, star-gazing, and hiking made Big Sur a favorite among those seeking a little more peace, quiet and isolation.

10. Santa Rosa - Wine, hiking and the Charles M. Schulz Museum were popular draws to this Sonoma County destination.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
kitkatgo
post May 7 2009, 11:26 PM
Post #2

Navigator

Member No.: 13816

QUOTE(starlagurl @ May 7 2009, 01:52 PM) *

Travebuddy came up with a bunch of suggestions for the mostly-missed destinations in Cali. What do you think? Worth it? Not worth it?

1. Monterey Cities along Highway 1 were a popular theme. Check out the Monterey Bay Aquarium.

2. Santa Cruz Monterey’s northern cousin was also very popular for hiking, the boardwalk and beaches during the summer months.

3. Palm Springs - Popular Labor Day weekend destination for hiking, dining and as a local escape from Los Angeles.

4. Lake Tahoe - Lake Tahoe is known for its snow sports, but it was also popular during the summer months for water-skiing, hiking, fishing, and exploring nearby “ice caves.”

5. Napa Valley - This wine-tasting mecca was a favorite weekend getaway for Bay Area natives.

6. Joshua Tree National Park - TravBuddies endured attacks by flying bats to witness beautiful sunrises and spectacular hiking among the alien landscape of Joshua trees.

7. San Simeon - Hearst Castle was a popular stop, as were the 2-ton elephant seals that gather along the shores here.

8. Laguna Beach - Beautiful beaches and the annual Festival of the Arts made this laid back community another favorite along Highway 1.

9. Big Sur – Despite the fires, solitude, star-gazing, and hiking made Big Sur a favorite among those seeking a little more peace, quiet and isolation.

10. Santa Rosa - Wine, hiking and the Charles M. Schulz Museum were popular draws to this Sonoma County destination.

Here are my thoughts:

1. Monterey is beautiful. The aquarium is pretty good. I went there on a high school biology field trip and got to watch them film one of the Star Trek movies there!

2. Santa Cruz was my second home growing up. I love it. it's got a great vibe, kinda groovy, hippieish. Nice beaches, pretty mountain areas.

3. I'm not sure I understand this one. Palm Springs over Labor Day weekend? The prices for the hotels will be good, since it's off season (read: hotter than bloody hell). But it is a holiday weekend, so traffic, traffic, traffic to get there. And hot, hot, hot. I have been there in the summer, and it's a good time to go for bargain prices at nice resorts, but I would NOT recommend a holiday weekend.

4. Lake Tahoe is fantastic, summer or winter.

5. Napa is a very popular place. For a more laid back, less expensive area, go to Sonoma. But I love both areas. (I don't think either area would be considered "missed" --they are both popular destinations).

6. Never been to Joshua Tree...guess it is missed.

7. Hearst Castle--Went there as a kid. Would like to go back and take my kids. It's a cool place, has some interesting "Hollywood" history to go with the opulence and architectural grandeur.

8. Laguna Beach is a great spot. It's always very busy, lots of traffic, but worth going through and hanging out. The beach is very pretty. This is a TV California town. The festival of the arts is lots of fun.

9. Big Sur, another childhood visit. Just as described.

10. See #5

--------------------
~Kit
California Local Expert

Visit my travel blogs:
http://www.travelpod.com/members/kitkatgo
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post May 19 2009, 09:57 AM
Post #3

Rolling Stone

Member No.: 103914

Nice... I am now dreaming of my roadtrip to cali next summer *sigh* So much that I want to do!

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
introducinlyric
post Feb 18 2010, 08:00 AM
Post #4

Rolling Stone

Member No.: 56605

been to all the places mentioned and Monterey is one of my fav's smile.gif

--------------------
Do You Want The Truth or Something Beautiful?
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
semi-backpacker
post Mar 6 2010, 04:24 PM
Post #5

Planet Pioneer

From: Hanging out with saguaro cactus in the Arizona desert
Member No.: 82730

I've only been to Palm Springs and I didn't see the hype. I do like the windmills there. I agree with Laguna Beach. Artsy, fun, and I ate at a wonderful Greek restaurant when I was there - YUM

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
kitkatgo
post Mar 10 2010, 04:16 PM
Post #6

Navigator

Member No.: 13816

Yeah, I think Palm Springs/Palm Desert is only great if you

1) play golf
2) have enough money to go during high season (winter)
3) like the desert

or

4) are brave enough to sweat the heat for a bargain at a nice resort during low season (summer)

beach.gif

--------------------
~Kit
California Local Expert

Visit my travel blogs:
http://www.travelpod.com/members/kitkatgo
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
polydemic
post Nov 2 2010, 01:41 AM
Post #7

Tourist

Group: Members
Member No.: 212482

Monterey would be my number one pick too. ( http://www.globosapiens.net/travel-informa...nterey-239.html ) I use to live there in my high school & community college years.

I wouldn't recommend Santa Cruz. I use to live there too & it was overrun by vicious panhandlers. I don't know if it's better or worse since I've left.

I've been to Big Sur many times & would highly recommend that. I also recommend the book 'Recipes for Living in Big Sur', available thru http://www.bigsurhitory.org/idll3.html .

--------------------
All the earth is my home and each nation a different room in the same house.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th July 2014 - 03:56 AM
Top Hotel Destinations

Acapulco Hotels
Atlanta Hotels
Austin Hotels
Beijing Hotels
Cancun Hotels
Charlotte Hotels
Chicago Hotels
Dallas Hotels
Denver Hotels
Honolulu Hotels
Houston Hotels
Indianapolis Hotels
Kissimmee Hotels
Las Vegas Hotels
London Hotels
Los Angeles Hotels
Mexico City Hotels
Miami Hotels
Miami Beach Hotels
Montreal Hotels
Myrtle Beach Hotels
Nashville Hotels
Negril Hotels
New Orleans Hotels
New York City Hotels
Orlando Hotels
Paris Hotels
Phoenix Hotels
Playa del Carmen Hotels
Puerto Plata Hotels
Puerto Vallarta Hotels
Punta Cana Hotels
Rome Hotels
San Antonio Hotels
San Diego Hotels
San Francisco Hotels
Seattle Hotels
Tampa Hotels
Toronto Hotels
Washington DC Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.