Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Indian Cuisine The West vs. The Subcontinent, whose is best?
Barrett
post Jan 7 2006, 01:08 AM
Post #1

Nomad

Group: Members
Member No.: 423
Nominate me as a Local Expert

Who's got the best Indian cuisine in the world? Having eaten my way through some great meals in Canada, NZ, Singapore and oh yeah, India, I have to go with Singapore. Best ingredients, huge portions, cheap price, traditional feel.
NZ comes in second with the lunch deals in Wellington, divine at $7 a pop, but no lassies. But other travellers may disagree. Anyone want to defend Britain here or the originator of all this tastiness?

--------------------
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
whereshegoes
post Jan 8 2006, 12:51 PM
Post #2

Journeyer

Member No.: 5

I would say the best indian food I ever had was cooked for me in the homes of some of the indian friends. Now THAT authentic! Plus I got to see how everything was made. My favorite indian delight? Gulab Jamen...mmmm.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Jambo
post Apr 5 2006, 10:49 AM
Post #3

Voyager

Member No.: 259

Indian food in Wellington has exploded (not literally) in the last few years. When I grew up there, there were two decent Indian joints. Now you can hardly swing a naan without hitting an Indian restaurant. I was back there a couple of years ago and had two or three awesome Indian meals (can't remember the name of the places).

Toronto has quite a large Indian community, including a 'Little India' section, which has led to a good number of excellent Indian restaurants.

Of course, England is famous for its curry houses, often frequented after a night on the booze. There are even a bunch of Indian curry dishes that were invented in England.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Barrett
post Apr 5 2006, 09:05 PM
Post #4

Nomad

Yeah, but Jambo, which did you PREFER?? I bet the NZ stuff was best aye?

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Amit
post Apr 6 2006, 07:03 AM
Post #5

Unregistered

Being Indian, I would say my mom cooks the best Indian food! smile.gif
But I must agree that NZ had the best Indian food - both in terms of taste and price!
+Quote Post
Jambo
post Apr 6 2006, 09:10 AM
Post #6

Voyager

Member No.: 259

Hard to say which I prefer. Any time I went for a curry in England it was usually after a night on the turps, and I would have eaten anything.

Unless you've eaten at a whole bunch of places in one area, it's hard to say "Place X has the best Indian food". I like my Indian food real hot and with great naan. Apart from that, I'm not too fussy.

Amit, get your mum to send me some Indian food and I'll add her to the list!

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
uncle_davros
post Apr 7 2006, 02:22 AM
Post #7

Planet Pioneer

Member No.: 226

A little garage in Kajaraho is the place that I had the best Indian food

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Barrett
post Apr 11 2006, 09:29 PM
Post #8

Nomad

I really like Kajuraho but I never found a garage with good food....where was it?

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Guest_kamasutra_*
post May 4 2006, 05:05 AM
Post #9

Unregistered

QUOTE(Barrett @ Apr 11 2006, 09:29 PM) *

I really like Kajuraho but I never found a garage with good food....where was it?

barett i dont like the way u portray india....and its people in this website......Whens ur next trip to Bombay ? i can show u some nice indian things
+Quote Post
Caro!
post May 9 2006, 11:41 AM
Post #10

World Traveler

Member No.: 550

QUOTE(Jambo @ Apr 5 2006, 11:49 AM) *

Indian food in Wellington has exploded (not literally) in the last few years. When I grew up there, there were two decent Indian joints. Now you can hardly swing a naan without hitting an Indian restaurant. I was back there a couple of years ago and had two or three awesome Indian meals (can't remember the name of the places).

Toronto has quite a large Indian community, including a 'Little India' section, which has led to a good number of excellent Indian restaurants.

Of course, England is famous for its curry houses, often frequented after a night on the booze. There are even a bunch of Indian curry dishes that were invented in England.

Jambo where is "little India"In Toronto?I'd love to go there!
Caro!

--------------------
Check out my videos and pics!!

The pictures I will proudly show to my offspring

Whatever Lola wants...Lola gets!!!

Happiness is available to anybody, so please help yourself!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
uncle_davros
post May 14 2006, 01:54 AM
Post #11

Planet Pioneer

On the main road where all the food was. In fact, they were in the LP and they offered cooking courses

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
uncle_davros
post Jun 7 2006, 01:10 AM
Post #12

Planet Pioneer

We also manage just to stumble on some evry now and then

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
rbisset
post Aug 14 2006, 05:20 PM
Post #13

Planet Pioneer

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 692

I had an amazing Indian curry in Laos of all places! Nazim's was amazing and we went all the time. The Malaysian style Indian food was also very good and cheap. Looking forward to going to India sometime soon when I have enough money so I can taste the real deal! Just hope it's not a disappointment like the food in China.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
uncle_davros
post Aug 14 2006, 06:01 PM
Post #14

Planet Pioneer

I had an amazing Indian curry in Laos of all places! Nazim's was amazing and we went all the time. The Malaysian style Indian food was also very good and cheap. Looking forward to going to India sometime soon when I have enough money so I can taste the real deal! Just hope it's not a disappointment like the food in China

Nazim's, the McDonalds of Laos. Found in every city. Personally, over-rated. Having come from India, and then trying Indian food in Thailand and Laos, it is so disappointing. Funny you should say that about Chinese food, I have friends who have been and they rave about it. But then again, like all food, it is changed in the West as the herbs are not the same. Bland come to mind

Anyway, glad you enjoyed it, and when you do go to India, you will not be disappointed

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
rbisset
post Aug 15 2006, 05:13 AM
Post #15

Planet Pioneer

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 692

weird, everyone i've met who went to China really didn't like the food that much. I honestly had 3 very good meals in 6 weeks! Most of it was just dirty, unappealing and just not as tasty as I would have thought. Loved the proper noodle soup, dim sum and the dumplings (not fried like at home). Try the Baozi (Steamed Buns with meat filling) as they are delicious! As with India it's probably not what you're used to eating back home. It's probably one of the reasons I thought Nazims was so good as it was one of the first meals I ate after China!

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
uncle_davros
post Aug 15 2006, 12:36 PM
Post #16

Planet Pioneer

I met this guy, who loved the food that much, that he put weight on. He found, as a vege, he picked out all this fresh food and ate whatever he could. He came into China from Pakistan. Maybe it was different over there.

Nazim. I would never go back. My girlfriend, Lucinate feels the same way. So bland, so bland. In fact, all I ndian food out of India is so bland

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
tav
post Oct 1 2006, 02:38 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 20167

Outside of India I have only eaten Indian food in UK, and I'd definitely go with Indian Indian food. Duh.

Also, a new new trend has cropped up in the UK. A lot of the Indian restaurants are actually run by Bangladeshis. So what you get there is not really traditional Indian fare, more like imitations. I actually ate at one of these pseudo-Indian joints, and when the head waiter realised I was Indian, he tried to strike up a conversation with me in whatever little Hindi he knew, which proved to be quite amusing. But he gets points for trying.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
uncle_davros
post Oct 3 2006, 03:21 PM
Post #18

Planet Pioneer

I work with a Sikh and he came from Amritsar, and he has said exactly the same thing about the restaurants being run by Bangladeshis. And there is nothing like the food in India

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
literature
post Dec 1 2008, 09:09 AM
Post #19

Member No.: 262389

QUOTE(Barrett @ Jan 7 2006, 01:08 AM) *

Who's got the best Indian cuisine in the world? Having eaten my way through some great meals in Canada, NZ, Singapore and oh yeah, India, I have to go with Singapore. Best ingredients, huge portions, cheap price, traditional feel.
NZ comes in second with the lunch deals in Wellington, divine at $7 a pop, but no lassies. But other travellers may disagree. Anyone want to defend Britain here or the originator of all this tastiness?

Hmm...interesting question, but I guess my home would be the best answer. Lol, about restaurants and stuff, of course India would have to be on top of the list, no doubt!! Butter Chicken sounds yummy, right? And yea Buttermilk is available too (although am not a fan!)
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
smile.always
post Jun 5 2009, 03:43 AM
Post #20

Member No.: 280576

Well, Indian food is the best of all without any doubt!!

In my office there are lot of expats and also have visitors from all over the world and they all like the Indian food very much.

Samosa, dosa, idlee, Chole bhautra, naan, paratha, different curries - veg, non - veg, pakoda, lassi, Sweets like gulab jamun

How can i forget Papad, is the most favorite one!!

I think the Indian food is the best beacuse is been served with special love
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th August 2014 - 08:20 AM
Top Hotel Destinations in India

Agra Hotels
Ahmedabad Hotels
Alappuzha Hotels
Amritsar Hotels
Bangalore Hotels
Bardez Hotels
Bhubaneswar Hotels
Calangute Hotels
Candolim Hotels
Chennai (Madras) Hotels
Darjeeling Hotels
Gangtok Hotels
Goa Hotels
Gurgaon Hotels
Haridwar Hotels
Hyderabad Hotels
Indore Hotels
Jaipur Hotels
Jaisalmer Hotels
Jodhpur Hotels
Kochi Hotels
Kodaikanal Hotels
Kolkata (Calcutta) Hotels
Kovalam Hotels
Manali Hotels
Mumbai (Bombay) Hotels
Munnar Hotels
Mussoorie Hotels
Mysore Hotels
Nainital Hotels
New Delhi Hotels
Ootacamund Hotels
Pondicherry Hotels
Pune Hotels
Salcette Hotels
Shimla Hotels
Srinagar Hotels
Thiruvananthapuram (Trivandrum) Hotels
Udaipur Hotels
Varanasi Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.