Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Valencia City - Going Out - Canovas Plaza, An area for you to explore in an evening out in Valencia
jrknight
post Dec 15 2009, 12:11 PM
Post #1

Drifter

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 262108

We thought that this article reproduced from BRITCHAT magazine will be very useful for your trip out in Valencia.

Valencia, as we all know, is a big city. Itís got lots on, from museums and exhibitions, to tourist attractions and beaches. But what if you just fancy a day or night out in Valencia, doing a bit of people watching whilst enjoying a nice, cool beer or 10?

There are loads of great areas in the city to visit just for a few drinks, and it doesnít have to cost a fortune either Ė depending on what you want. This is one thing I love about Valencia, you can find a great wee bar selling beers for Ä1, nestled right beside a posh place selling at Ä5+. Hmm, 5 for the price of 1? Sounds good to me!!

This particular article is on the Canovas area, which is found at the riverbed end of Gran Via Marquis del Turia (get you googlemap out for that). The nearest Metro Station to Canovas is at Alameda, no more than half a km away. You cant really miss Gran Via Ė itís a big, wide street, with a park walk right in the middle. Once youíre there, Canovas Plaza is as easy as pie, itís the first plaza you come to!

Calle Salamanca, running off Canovas, and Calle Conde de Altea, which runs parallel to Gran Via, are 2 other great streets to start your quest. Tons of bars and eateries within a 5 minute walk of each other!

Bit of a side note here, before we go on; If youíre going to drive into the city, remember that it is always packed unless you go down in siesta time. I would recommend getting the train and a taxi home (if itís too late for the train back home). OR, you could drive to somewhere like El Palme Station, where there is free parking, get the tube 5 or 6 stops and then your cab back to the car at the end of the night. Just a thought.

(ED Note: There is now a brand new underground car park called Salamanca, with lots of room and wide parking spaces at around 2 euros per hour. The entrance is off Grand Via - last street on the right as you head for the old Turia River bed).

Right, back to Canovas. There are lots of bars around, so to many cafes, and restaurants. Iíll just mention a few, as I think half the fun is discovering them yourself. Just in Canovas Plaza you will find St. Patrickís Irish Pub. Yes, yawn, I hear someone saying out there near the back, but this is the best place to watch any sporting events in the city. Itís big, itís loud, itís packed, itís great. As is the wont of every Irish Bar around the world, the drink is pricey, but the craic is 90 (if that means nothing, ask an Irish friend!). Especially great for the rugby internationals, you really do get punters from all around the world. On our last 2 visits, we ended up with a New Zealander, 2 Italians, a Welshman and ...

2 Swedes. Great fun. They donít serve food in St Pats, although theyíll happily take an order for the local pizzeria who will deliver to the bar.

If you fancy something a bit more local-y/ish, head down Salamanca, where youíll find the ĎEuro Barsí Ė Simply put, dirt cheap, hence the name. There are 2 beside one another, and the 3rd is just across the street. My favourite of the 3 is Beer (great name). I find it really friendly, great fun and like a real pub should be. They do weekly specials on a particular draught, and make mega home made jugs of Agua de Valencia. We bumped into a group of Britís once a few years back, and took them here to see a real Valencia bar, and they all loved it. Next door is pretty similar, whilst the 3rd bar, across the street (Urbano) is more a disco bar, so maybe thats where you want to go with your dancing feet on!

Further down Salamanca, youíll come across the Portland Ale House, apparently the first American bar in Valencia. I know itís pretty new, I think it cropped up about 2 years ago. Specializes in cocktails and has a nice, traditional look to it.

There used to be a rather cool big bar on the main Gran Via, not too far from St. Pats, but I couldnít find it this time, maybe its goneÖ..anyway, if itís there itís really groovy. Itís like you are in an opera house. I loved it, although it was a tad expensive.

If you like your English Bars, you could pop into the Robin Hood. Nice size, not too busy, on Calle Conde de Altea.

These really are just ideas, or maybe somewhere for you to start. There are so many places here, really, the best thing to do is come down and do the walk. Itís an incredibly fun day (or night) out, and really doesnít have to cost that much either.

Just donít forget that for every cheap bar, thereís another one with scary prices! Happened to us when we first headed down this direction, there was a bar beside the Euro Bars (I think itís now a club) but where Beerís beer was Ä1, the bottles in here were Ä5!! And weíd had 2 each!!! Make sure you check the prices if youíre unsure!

If you plan to hit a restaurant as well, or instead of the bars, there are also a huge range to choose from, both for menuís of the day and nice evening meals. Donít forget though, that for night time, youíll be pushed to find any of the big restaurants open before 9pm. There are Spanish, Italian, Chinese/Asian, a Greek, a Mexican etc all within easy reach of Canovas.
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd August 2014 - 02:40 AM
Top Hotel Destinations

Acapulco Hotels
Atlanta Hotels
Austin Hotels
Beijing Hotels
Cancun Hotels
Charlotte Hotels
Chicago Hotels
Dallas Hotels
Denver Hotels
Honolulu Hotels
Houston Hotels
Indianapolis Hotels
Kissimmee Hotels
Las Vegas Hotels
London Hotels
Los Angeles Hotels
Mexico City Hotels
Miami Hotels
Miami Beach Hotels
Montreal Hotels
Myrtle Beach Hotels
Nashville Hotels
Negril Hotels
New Orleans Hotels
New York City Hotels
Orlando Hotels
Paris Hotels
Phoenix Hotels
Playa del Carmen Hotels
Puerto Plata Hotels
Puerto Vallarta Hotels
Punta Cana Hotels
Rome Hotels
San Antonio Hotels
San Diego Hotels
San Francisco Hotels
Seattle Hotels
Tampa Hotels
Toronto Hotels
Washington DC Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.