Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> My One Dozenth Trip to Vancouver, Day by Day Report
polydemic
post Jul 26 2012, 12:24 AM
Post #1

Tourist

Group: Members
Member No.: 212482
Nominate me as a Local Expert

Arrive yesterday & checked into Patricia Hotel. Went to Gastown & the ferry terminal taking as many photos as I felt like. (I have two cameras with large capacity memory cards.) I enjoyed a late lunch at 131 Water Street Kitchen & Bar; salmon & shrimp pesto penne with raspberry ale.

This morning I went to Granville Island. After getting off the bus I tried walking there by memory (I've been there before) & got lost. It took a long time to find a sign pointing out the way. Then it took a long time finding the Coast to Coast food stand, which was hyped on Twitter by Edible Canada, for it's all bacon dishes. I ordered the bacon & duck poutine. I wanted coffee since I hadn't had breakfast but they didn't have any. I had to get a cup in the adjacent restaurant. But the restaurant didn't want me eating poutine from another eatery in their dining area so I had to eat & drink outside on a bench. The poutine was so salty & greasy that half way thru my stomach didn't feel well so I threw the rest to the birds. Not a good start to the day.

I took lots of photos of Fish Village & the north shore of False Creek. So many scenic views! I rode the water bus to Yaletown & wandered around til my feet hurt. I went bake to the hotel & had an early dinner at their pub. Before sunset I went to Chinatown looking for The Keefer Bar, suggested by Yelp members for people in their 60s. But when I got there everyone their was in their 20s. Not at all what I was told! So I went to the Brickhouse, another recommended pub, but it was dead.

Hoping tommorrow is better. Might go to Stanley Park, Bloedel conservatory, and/or Commercial Drive.

--------------------
All the earth is my home and each nation a different room in the same house.
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
polydemic
post Jul 26 2012, 11:39 PM
Post #2

Tourist

Had breakfast in downtown at the Butterfly Garden Cafe. Good price for bacon & eggs with hash browns & toast. (Brought my own mini-bottle of Tabasco Sauce for my eggs.)

Went hiking in Stanley Park taking as many nature photos as I could. Disappointed that I found only one black squirrel to photograph.

Had lunch in Yaletown at Minami Restaurant; pricey but tasty. I had the spicey pork gyoza & eel sushi.

Spent the afternoon at Bloedel Conservatory & Queen Elisabeth II Park, taking many photos of colorful birds & flowers. Being in the sun all day my arms burnd despite two applications of sunblock.

Had dinner in Chinatown at Hon's. Ordered my favorite: the BBQ duck.

The elevator & computer in this hotel sux BIG TIME!

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
polydemic
post Jul 28 2012, 01:00 PM
Post #3

Tourist

Yesterday I turned 61. I spent the morning on a harbour tour of Burrard Inlet then spent the afternoon at the Dover Arms Pub, watching the Olympics opening ceremony on several large-screen TVs. Last night, at Pat's, a band called Adolescents performed for a video.

Today's plans are for Chinatown, the Museum of Vancouver, & Kitsilano.

I'm wearing my Travelpod T-shirt.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
urbantraveller
post Oct 18 2012, 04:10 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 3229263

Hey!

There's this one activity that I know of. It's a good way of discovering the city of Vancouver. They call it Urban Quest. It's like Amazing Race but it's done within the city only. Try checking their site - www.urbanquest.com then choose from a variety of Quests and download your clue package online. Then, armed with only your street smarts and your ability to charm people to help you, explore parts of your city to solve puzzles to beat the Quest. If you can solve it, a dinner reservation at a mystery location awaits!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st August 2014 - 12:17 AM
Top Hotel Destinations

Acapulco Hotels
Atlanta Hotels
Austin Hotels
Beijing Hotels
Cancun Hotels
Charlotte Hotels
Chicago Hotels
Dallas Hotels
Denver Hotels
Honolulu Hotels
Houston Hotels
Indianapolis Hotels
Kissimmee Hotels
Las Vegas Hotels
London Hotels
Los Angeles Hotels
Mexico City Hotels
Miami Hotels
Miami Beach Hotels
Montreal Hotels
Myrtle Beach Hotels
Nashville Hotels
Negril Hotels
New Orleans Hotels
New York City Hotels
Orlando Hotels
Paris Hotels
Phoenix Hotels
Playa del Carmen Hotels
Puerto Plata Hotels
Puerto Vallarta Hotels
Punta Cana Hotels
Rome Hotels
San Antonio Hotels
San Diego Hotels
San Francisco Hotels
Seattle Hotels
Tampa Hotels
Toronto Hotels
Washington DC Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.