Believe it or not, this long, cold winter is coming to an end soon. The days are getting longer, the sun is a little brighter, and before you know it Summer Road-Trip Season will be right around the corner! Whether you drive, cycle, or fly, you may find yourself looking for a great museum to visit in the U.S., and we have a great list to get you thinking, planning, and hopefully fitting some great American culture into your trip.
In this two-part series, we’ll give you a jump start on summer museum season with these top Editor’s Picks, highlighting a great museum option from each state in the USA. If you’re able to work any of these great destinations into your itinerary, grab your comfortable shoes and get in line for your ticket.
And of course, don’t forget to share your visit on your TravelPod blog!
- Alabama (Birmingham) – Birmingham Civil Rights Institute
TravelPod member burtonll calls it “one of the best museums I have ever seen.”
- Alaska (Anchorage) – Anchorage Museum at Rasmuson Center
Recommended by blogger louclaire as “a great introduction to Alaska.”
- Arizona (Tucson) – Pima Air & Space Museum
Check out some great photos taken by greg-and-karen on their 2013 visit.
- Arkansas (Bentonville) – Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art
- California (San Francisco) – The Exploratorium
See what miss.chris had to say about this kid-friendly San Francisco destination.
- Colorado (Denver) – Clyfford Still Museum
- Connecticut (New Britain) – New Britain Museum of American Art
Blogger modernnomad67 stopped by and took some pics.
- Delaware (Winterthur) – Winterthur Museum, Garden & Library
- Florida (St. Petersburg) – The Dali Museum
- Georgia (Atlanta) – High Museum of Art
We have a very thorough description from burtonll.
- Hawaii (Honolulu) – Bishop Museum
TravelPod member c.i.222 included it on his 2013 trip.
- Idaho (Boise) – Discovery Center of Idaho
- Illinois (Oak Park) – Frank Lloyd Wright Home and Studio
- Indiana (Indianapolis) – Indianapolis Museum of Art
- Iowa (Davenport) – Figge Art Museum
- Kansas (Hutchinson) – Kansas Cosmosphere & Space Center
TravelPod blogger cody_max made it a stop on his massive U.S. road trip.
- Kentucky (Louisville) – Frazier History Museum
- Louisiana (New Orleans) – The National WWII Museum
- Maine (Portland) – Portland Museum of Art
Stop by for a culture break like barbaramorse9 did.
- Maryland (Baltimore) – Maryland Science Center
- Massachusetts (Boston) – Isabella Stuart Gardner Museum
Recommended by tannoreth, this eclectic museum is “like visiting all of Europe, China and Japan rolled into one.”
- Michigan (East Lansing) – Eli and Edythe Broad Art Museum
- Minnesota (Minneapolis) – Mill City Museum
- Mississippi (Vicksburg) – USS Cairo Gunboat and Museum
Traveler and blogger andreatravels took some great photos of the Vicksburg National Military Park and this impressive ironclad gunboat.
- Missouri (St. Louis) – City Museum
Stay tuned for Part 2, including our Editor’s Picks from Montana to Wyoming!