While TravelPod will be closing on June 19, we wanted to make sure you have the ability to save your blogs, photos, and address book to your computer for safekeeping, viewing later, and even importing into a new blogging platform (such as WordPress) if you wish.
Please follow these simple instructions to create and save an archive copy of your blogs that you will download to your computer.
Please note that the TravelPod Archive Utility will be available only up until our closing date of June 19, 2017. While you may create as many archives as you like, you can only create one at a time. Once you have requested an archive, you may make changes to your blog, but those changes may not be present in your downloaded file. You would therefore need to re-create your archive once the first one finishes.
If you have questions, please get in touch at email@example.com.
- Sign in to TravelPod at http://www.travelpod.com/dashboard.
- Click the big green “Download my blog content!” button. This will take you to the “Archive & Download” page.
- When you are ready to create the download, click the big green button called “Prepare my blog archive.” TravelPod will then begin creating the archive of your blogs. You will not be able to create another archive until the current process has completed.
- This process may take some time, so we will notify you by email when your archive is ready to download.
- In the email notification you receive, you’ll find a link asking you to login to your TravelPod dashboard to download your .zip file to your computer. This link leads to a page with a link to your .zip file. Click it to start the download process.
- This download can take a while, depending on the number and size of your blogs and the number of photos you have uploaded to TravelPod.
- Once you receive the download, which will be a “.ZIP” archive file, find the file on your hard drive and double-click the .ZIP file. This will expand your archive into a folder on your computer containing all of your your content, including your blogs in html format, all of your photos, and XML versions of your blogs that you may use to import into WordPress or another blogging tool of your choice.
- If you make subsequent changes to your blogs after creating your archive, you may go back to “Archive & Download” and create a new one by clicking the “Prepare my blog archive” button again. You can do this as many times as you need to up until our closing date. However, once one archive has been requested, you’ll need to wait until it is finished to start another.
- Double-click on the file that looks like [memberid].profile.html to start browsing your trips within the archive.
Once you’ve downloaded your archive, you can either keep it on your computer or you may choose to import the blog into WordPress, using the XML versions of your blogs. We have created a set of instructions for how to get started on WordPress here.
Alternatively, you can check out the TravelArk project, founded by a TravelPod super-fan, which will save an online copy of your blog in a different location. This is not a TravelPod project and is supported by the travel blogging community. For more info, see http://www.travelark.org.