Summer road trip season is right around the corner! Whether you drive, cycle, or fly, you may find yourself looking for a great museum to visit in the U.S., and we’ve got a list of options to get you thinking, planning, and hopefully fitting some great American culture into your trip.
In this two-part series, we’ll give you a jump start on summer museum season by highlighting a unique, intriguing, inspiring, or just plain fun museum option from every state in the USA. Of course, it’s difficult to pick one out of an entire state, but these choices are sure to give you a unique and memorable experience, and we highly recommend them. (In many cases, you can find out more by seeing what our members had to say.) If you’re able to work any of these great destinations into your itinerary, grab your comfortable shoes and get in line for your ticket.
And of course, don’t forget to share your visit on your TravelPod blog!
- Alabama – Birmingham Civil Rights Institute (Birmingham)
TravelPod member georgenpoli called BCRI the “highlight” of their Birmingham visit, and noted that “two hours is not enough” at this “top notch facility.”
- Alaska – Anchorage Museum at Rasmuson Center (Anchorage)
Recommended by blogger louclaire as “a great introduction to Alaska.”
- Arizona – Children’s Museum of Phoenix (Phoenix)
- Arkansas – Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art (Bentonville)
- California – Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County (Los Angeles)
According to nathantorpie this contains “one of the most extraordinary dinosaur exhibits” he has ever seen!
- Colorado – Clyfford Still Museum (Denver)
- Connecticut – New Britain Museum of American Art (New Britain)
Blogger modernnomad67 stopped by and took some pics.
- Delaware – Winterthur Museum, Garden & Library (Wilmington)
- Florida – The Dali Museum (St. Petersburg)
- Georgia – Michael C. Carlos Museum of Emory University (Atlanta)
- Hawaii – Bishop Museum (Honolulu)
TravelPod member c.i.222 included it on his 2013 trip.
- Idaho – Idaho Potato Museum (Blackfoot)
- Illinois – National Museum of Mexican Art (Chicago)
Check out the blog entry and great photos from terredeshommes on TravelPod.
- Indiana – The Children’s Museum of Indianapolis (Indianapolis)
- Iowa – Figge Art Museum (Davenport)
- Kansas – Kansas Cosmosphere & Space Center (Hutchinson)
TravelPod blogger cody_max made it a stop on his massive U.S. road trip.
- Kentucky – Louisville Slugger Museum & Factory (Louisville)
Michellejo86 and fellow travellers made it a part of their coast-to-coast US tour.
- Louisiana – The National WWII Museum (New Orleans)
- Maine – Portland Museum of Art (Portland)
Stop by for a culture break like mndlx did, and be sure to take a tour of the Winslow Homer Studio.
- Maryland – Geppi’s Entertainment Museum (Baltimore)
- Massachusetts – Isabella Stuart Gardner Museum (Boston)
Recommended by tannoreth, this eclectic museum is “like visiting all of Europe, China and Japan rolled into one.”
- Michigan – Eli and Edythe Broad Art Museum (East Lansing)
- Minnesota – Mill City Museum (Minneapolis)
- Mississippi – Delta Blues Museum (Clarksdale)
- Missouri – City Museum (St. Louis)
To quote rmadventures: “Words and even the pictures we got can’t explain how awesome this place was!”
Looking for our recommendation for Nebraska, Virginia, or maybe Tennessee? Check out Part 2 of the series, which features our Editor’s Picks from Montana to Wyoming!