Judy Fernandez is one of TravelPod’s newest Local Experts. She’s originally from Rhode Island, but has recently moved to Arizona. She chose to represent Rhode Island because she’s very familiar with the New England area of the U.S.A. If you have any questions about traveling to that part of the world, Judy is the go-to gal.
I picked her brain about her home state, and about being a Local Expert.
Why did you become a Local Expert?
I’m passionate about my little state and all it has to offer!
What’s are the best and worst things about living in Rhode Island?
The best…the ocean, its New England charm, the history, and did I mention, the ocean? The worst is the winter…it gets very cold and most people forget how to drive in the snow (even though it snows every year!)
What are the top five or 10 things for travelers to do in your area?
1. Take the ferry to Block Island
2. Walk on the “Cliff Walk” in Newport
3. Eat at an Italian restaurant in Federal Hill in Providence
4. Visit the Water Fire event in downtown Providence (summer)
5. Ride the gondola in downtown Providence and enjoy being serenaded by a faux Italian singer (summer)
6. Take a stroll on eclectic Thayer street on the Providence’s East side…people watch on the Brown University campus or catch an independent movie at Avon theater
7. Eat a bowl of New England clam chowder and clam cakes at an oceanside spot
8. Ride the carousel or small pedal boats at Roger William’s park
9. Place a bet/ test your luck at Lincoln Park (for the gambling types!)
10. Ride the Newport dinner train or Newport sunset harbor cruise
What are some of your best and worst travel experiences?
My best experience includes some semi-backpacking in Latin America: Argentina, Bolivia, Chile, and Uruguay on a budget and in less than two weeks!
What is your worst travel experience?
There are no bad travel experiences!
What is your proudest accomplishment?
Finishing the manuscript for my novel. It doesn’t matter if it takes me a lifetime to publish – the writing is very rewarding.
Where are you planning on traveling in the future?
Egypt, more South America, more Europe, Australia…I’d like to visit every continent at least once.
What do you do with most of your time?
Write, travel, and dream about future travel.
What’s a typical day like for you?
There are no typical days!
One of Judy’s favourite blog entries is this one about her trip to Chile: http://www.travelpod.com/travel-blog-entries/semi-backpacker/latin_america/1188261600/tpod.html
Read the rest of Judy’s blog entries at her TravelPod blog profile.
You can also chat with Judy, aka semi-backpacker in the TravelPod travel forums.
See you there!
TravelPod Community Manager