Myrtles Plantation

Address: 7747 Highway 61, Saint Francisville, Louisiana, 70775, United States | B&B
Searching for availability...
*Prices above are provided by partners for one room, double occupancy and do not include all taxes and fees. Please see our partners for full details.

How has this b&b rated in the past?

  What's this?
Discover trends in hotel experiences based on real traveler reviews and ratings. Mouse over circles to see what some travelers had to say.


This B&B, located on 7747 Highway 61, Saint Francisville, is near The Myrtles Plantation, Rosedown Plantation State Historic Site, Oakley Plantation, and Afton Villa Gardens.
Map this b&b


Photos of Myrtles Plantation


          TravelPod Member ReviewsMyrtles Plantation Saint Francisville

          Reviewed by python123


          Reviewed Jan 6, 2011
          by (1 review) , United States Flag of United States

          This is a copy of the email we sent explaining what happened to us:
          Dear Mrs. Teresa,

          First, before I type this email, I want to say that Mrs Esther was an extremely nice and caring woman. I feel horrible that she was left to defend a situation that she clearly was uncomfortable in doing so. As well as, the young lady named Piper. She was a very nice young lady. Moses works very hard, and is also, as helpful as he can be. Thanks from me, to those 3 special employees.

          Story begins Now:

          Mrs Hester told us that I need to direct my email to your attention. Now, I will type up what happened at our last 2 experiences at the Myrtle's. On or about, December 1st 2010, my girlfriend reserved a room for my birthday (Night of December 11th 2010). I was very excited and looking forward to this night. I hadn't been to the Myrtle's in nearly 20 years, and I've NEVER spent the night (only visits). Out of excitement, we didn't research the history to freshen up our brains on the stories of the Myrtle's.

          On the day of December 11th, we arrived at the Myrtle's around 2pm and checked in to our room (in the Oleander room). Shortly after check in, we had a great dinner at the Carriage House. While enjoying dinner, we actually met a married couple from Mississippi at the table to our left. We also met a mother and daughter from Gonzales, LA at the table to our right. We had all began to talk during our dinner. The couple from Mississippi was also staying in Garden room building, next to our room. However, the mother and daughter were staying in the Judge Clarke Woodruff suite upstairs in the main house. We were wishing that we would have been able to get a room in the house, but they were all sold out. After we all finished dinner, the mother and daughter invited the MS couple, & GF and I to see their room upstairs in the house. The weather was extremely bad. Rain, thunder, and lightning was really active at this point and we really wanted to see their room. So, all 6 of us headed in the house and then upstairs (which I'm sure your security cameras will show). Because of the bad weather, and how much we were enjoying being in the upstairs foyer and the Clarke Woodruff Suite, we ALL actually stayed there till around 2am. We had noticed the single bed in their room as well (remember this). At around 2am, GF & me as well as the MS couple decided that it was really late. We thanked everyone for the great time and then departed back to our room at cabin 4 (oleander room). I'm sure that your security cameras can validate all of this. When in the upstairs foyer, or in the mother and daughter's (From Gonzales, LA) room, NOONE ever came in and said a word about us being their guest visitors nor did any employee come to say that we couldn't be in the room as their quest.

          We had a great time. We spent a lot of money while there (all the way to the point of paying $24 for 2 cheaply made plastic flashlight helmets from your giftshop). We were amazed at the level of paranormal activity that simply could not be explained. We had numerous photos and video containing many of the things told by your guides and employees. This was an awesome night. But, there was 1 problem. I felt completely ignorant to the history of the plantation and the activity that we experienced. I wished that I had read up or done a little homework, before we had came. So, whenever we checked out the next day, we had a HUGE interest to come back to the Myrtles real soon. Only the next time, we were gonna brush up on the history of the plantation, so we might be able to understand what is exactly going on.

          About a week after we were home, GF and I had actually agreed to treat each other as a Xmas gift, by reserving the very room that we loved (Clarke Woodruff suite) for the weekend of New Years Eve and New Years Day. We knew that because of the single bed we saw prior in the suite, it would be awesome to treat my mother as an Xmas gift too. Plus, we would spend the New Years weekend at the fabulous Myrtle's plantation. So on about December 22nd, GF called your reservation desk. She was able to book us in the Woodruff suite for Friday December 31st. Although we wanted to stay in that suite both nights, GF was unable to reserve the 2nd night (Saturday January 1st 2011) in the Woodruff suite. The only room that was actually available for that night was garden room 4 (oleander room). Since we had stayed in this room prior, I had GF go ahead and book it for the 2nd night. GF officially booked both nights with the rooms mentioned above on MY credit card. The card was immediately billed and payment was disbursed to the Myrtles within a few hours (I've never had a hotel, etc completely bill my credit card at the time of reservations). A confirmation email was sent to me. Plans were now made and we begun to brush up on our history. I actually read former owner Frances Kermeen's book in 2 days. GF and my mother started reading all kinds of Internet pages as well. We had begun to catch up on history and was very excited for our upcoming stay. We even researched the footage of Ghost Hunters when TAPS came to the Myrtle's to investigate. You can see that we were preparing for a New Years to remember. Reading books and history websites became an everyday activity of us for about 1 1/2 weeks.

          Finally, Friday December 31st had came around. We all 3 packed our bags, dropped our kids off with family, and headed in the car to the Myrtles. We actually arrived and checked in at around 7pm. Not sure of her name, but the blonde haired young lady welcomed us and gave us the keys to the Woodruff suite. Piper saw us coming to the back Veranda as she was just about to start a tour with about 20 guest. She made her way to GF as we were walking up with our bags. She reached out and hugged GF as if they were long lost sisters. We were really feeling the fun and excitement. We were instructed to wait on the verandah until Piper had the tour group to the dining room. So, we stayed about 10-15 min on the verandah (with all of our luggage in hand and the rain was pouring down) until Piper had the foyer clear. Then, we went inside and headed upstairs to our room in the Woodruff suite. Once we put our bags in the room, all 3 of us were walking around checking out the room. There was a bag of trash tied in a knot and left on the small table between the sitting chairs. The sitting chairs were nasty with huge stains on top of stairs all over. The other trash can in the corner was running over with trash (note: it had about 5 different cups in it. It looked like the guest before us had at least 5 people). The dimmer on the main chandelier was low, I turned the knob to brighten the light. When I did, several lady bugs flew out and went all over. I stood under the light and saw that there were tons of dead lady bugs that were all inside of the bottom of the chandelier. Mom and GF were also pointing at all the dust, dirt, and lint all over the floors. And the bottom of the curtains were completely filthy and were rolled up into a ball on the floor with dead bugs, spiderwebs, and more dust. Then, we decided to check the bathroom. It was filthy as well. There was enough hair on the floor to make someone a Sher or indian like wig. The lights above the sink were not on. I looked for the switch and noticed a long power cord hanging from the socket and down the wall. I followed the cord to see if it was plugged in and had power. To my surprise, the power cord was actually tucked inside of the wall just above the electrical socket next to the faucet. I looked back up at the light fixture and saw that it had only 1 bulb (but, had a socket for 3 bulbs). The next socket was empty. And the 3rd socket had the remains of a broken bulb (just the part that screws in). GF came in with her hair curling iron and asked if there was a plug next to the bathroom mirror and faucet. I showed it to her and she plugged in the curling iron. Then, she noticed that it wasn't heating up. I realized that the electrical outlet didn't work and this is probably why the socket didn't work above the faucet too. They were actually rigged up and wired together. Being that there was the remains of a broken bulb still in the 3rd socket, I realized that the electrical had probably shorted out the outlet and the light fixture above. So, GF had to go back in the room to find a outlet that worked. While searching, we noticed that the lamp on the table next to the room's main door, didn't work either. I moved to the table between the 2 chairs and finally found an outlet that worked. GF had to fix her hair while sitting in one of these filthy chairs without a mirror. The night was starting to get the feeling that it was going to be a disaster. It seemed like everything was NOW going wrong.

          Because we are NOT the complaining type, we decided to head to the Carriage House for dinner and try to forget about the room. All 3 of us headed back downstairs and out of the house (as your security cameras can verify). After dinner, we headed back to our room to freshen up. My mother had a cup of ice with her from the Carriage House. As we were about to enter the foyer, the blonde haired young lady was coming out of the foyer. She stopped us as we were coming in. She said to us, "you can't bring drinks in the house or your room". I spoke up, "I'm sorry, I forgot that I had seen this rule at the bottom of the receipt that was emailed to me". She then asked,"what is in that cup?" I said," it's just a cup of ice from the restaurant, but it's no big deal and we will throw it away". Being very nice, she said "NO, it's ok. Just don't let the owner see you with it. And he is right over there by the gift shop". We felt that she was ok, but letting us know that the owner was a jerk. We all laughed and as we headed upstairs to our room, she left out the foyer and returned to the gift shop. In our room, we gathered our flashlights, cameras, etc and then went outside to the front yard and begin studying the beauty and history of the wonderful Myrtles. GF and I were showing my mom around with our flashlights as we made our way around the side of the house near the spot where William Winter was shot. As we were taking pictures and teaching my mother the history, a man with 2 ladies walked up to us. They must have seen us walking out of the foyer. They had told us that they were staying in the Caretakers cottage. The man told us that they had arrived late and missed the last tour. He asked if we could let him just inside the foyer, to take 1 picture of the famous "haunted mirror". Knowing that we had spent so much time in our prior trip with the lady and her daughter (in the upper foyer and Woodruff suite), that I didn't know that it would be against the rules to allow this man to take 1 pic and leave. So, we let them in. We all stopped right next to the piano. The man thanked us and took his 1 pic. As we were about to walk back outside, a man came in the foyer door and said, "Can I help you all with something?". I quickly spoke up and said, "we are staying upstairs and these people showed up late and asked us if we would let them take 1 pic of the mirror". The man quickly spoke up and said, "you are not allowed to have quest in this room!". Then, mom asked him, "are you the owner?". The man said, "YES". Mom said, "Mr Moss??". The man said, "YES". Then he said again that we were not allowed to have quest. The 3 strangers quickly left out the door and back outside. As mom and GF were walking back outside, I asked Mr Moss to step inside to talk. I told him, "those people were not our guest and we don't know them". Mr Moss completely ignored me and said that we were not allowed to have quest (for the 3rd time). We all walked outside feeling insulted by the owner. We picked up where we left off in the yard, and continued all the way around the yard perimeter. Then, back in the house upstairs. We were actually sitting in the foyer upstairs talking and enjoying the house. Suddenly, the door flew open downstairs and Moses came up the stairs. He said that we had left the foyer door wide open and the owner sent him to close the door and let us know that, they can't have people coming in and out of that door. Stunned, I said," that door was closed. I know it was cuz I watched GF close it". He said that the owner sent him to close the door and he mentioned that he needed to get in bed, so he could cook biscuits at 4am. It was quite obvious that Moses was very aggravated, overworked, and wanting sleep badly. Even though we feel the door was closed, we apologized and Moses left. This was now our 2nd insult from the owner John Moss himself (all this can be verified by your security cameras). Finally, we were aggravated and decided to go inside our room and call it, a night. All 3 of us woke up around 9am. We took baths, got dressed, and headed downstairs with our bags. I knew that checkout was at 11am. We couldn't check into our other room till 2pm. So, I had GF take the keys to the gift shop while mom and I carried our bags to the car. Waiting at the car, GF was coming to us. She was almost to us, when Hester came out of the gift shop and yelled, "MAM, I NEED YOU TO COME BACK". GF turned around and went back to the gift shop to talk with Hester. As GF got close to Hester said, "you look like you are in a hurry". I don't know why Hester said that. We had to check out at 11am. It was about 10:45am and we were gonna be back to check in our 2nd room for 2:00pm. This didn't make sense at all. We had plans to visit Grace Church and a few other places, then be back to check in for 2pm. Hester told GF that the owner's wife had called her on the phone. She told Hester to charge us another $75.00 for having an extra guest (my mother who slept in the single bed in our room). Hester seemed very uncomfortable about doing this. I could see that she was told to do this by the owners. I walked up. I told Hester what had happened to us to this point. This was now insult #3 from the owner. I told Hester that we were never told of any such charge. The room has beds for 3 people. This doesn't make sense and I feel like the owner has targeted us as someone they didn't want there. For what? We haven't done anything wrong? Check your security cameras that seemed to be pointed on us all night. Hester said that the single bed was just for show and was not meant for a 3rd person. And she also said that we COULDN'T have a 3rd person for the next night in the oleander room. This room was not allowed to bring more than 2 people. Wow! So, let me get this straight, the Woodruff suite is for 2 people, the single bed is for SHOW-ONLY, BUT if you want more than 2 people in the room it will be 75 bucks each?????? So, where is the 3rd person supposed to sleep, in the bathtub????? And under no circumstances, is any more than 2 people allowed in the oleander room????? What are we supposed to do? Drive home and drop someone off and then drive back???? This is nuts!!! No one told us this when we reserved the rooms and we never saw any paperwork or signed ANYTHING that stated this. So, I told Hester that I wanted my money back for the 2nd night. Since we couldn't have my mom, we were gonna have to leave. She said, "I cant give you a refund. You are gonna have to speak with the manager Teresa for that". Then, I found out that Teresa was out sick and no one knew when she would return. I asked to speak to John Moss himself. Hester told me that he wasn't there. He had gone back home. Hester was very nice, but her hands were tied. She took all of my contact info. She said that she would do her best to rent our room, so we could get a credit on my card. Although, I knew at this point that it wasn't gonna happen, I asked Hester to call me on my cell to let me know if the room was rented or even NOT-rented. She said that she would definitely do that (but, I NEVER received a call from anyone). She apologized to the point that it appeared that she may even cry. As she was writing my last name down, she said, "OMG, I recognize your name. I cant remember why, but I know it somehow". Was it because the owner had even known my name during the time that they were picking on us?????? The owners obviously wanted us out and didn't care if they pissed us off. So, we exchanged more contact info and then we got in the car and left. "what are we supposed to do now?, mom asked. I told them we were gonna go on with plans by visiting Grace Church, etc. But, we needed a new place to stay since we wouldn't be back at the Myrtle's. Estimated expense at this point:
          $382.95 for both rooms
          $50.00 for gas round trip
          $75.00 for dinner at the Carriage House
          $30.00 for breakfast at McDonald's (because we never got breakfast at Myrtle's)
          $30.00 for batteries and supplies at local store
          $567.95 total out of pocket at this point

          PRICELESS having our plans destroyed
          PRICELESS getting insulted by the owners, 3 times
          PRICELESS being told that we had no choice to leave, as long as we had 3 people
          PRICELESS room filthy and disfunctional

          And don't forget, the owners are still waiting for me to give them 75 bucks more.

          My email has been long enough. As I type, I'm getting upset even more. This is obviously how the owners treat returning quest (no matter how much money they pay). Not to worry, as we will NEVER come back. Mission accomplished for the owners.

          So, Teresa, I am reversing the credit card charges in the full amount. Your owners ruined our holiday, weekend, and time. And it actually cost me tons of money to alter our plans once we were informed that we had to leave the myrtle's. FYI........I am fully aware of the laws and rights that we have. I can tell you that law and rights were broken in sooooo many ways that the owners heads will spin. We will move on and chalk it up as a lesson learned. We won't be back. If you would like to proceed further, I will tell you to contact your lawyers for case and proceed to sue. I'm pretty sure that you know what the outcome will be if we end up in court.

          So, my advice to you: someone needs to take control of this plantation. It's a shame that the beauty and history is going out the window. Lastly, to verify ANY of this story, just check your security cameras. They always seemed to be everywhere that all of this took place.

          This review is the subjective opinion of a TravelPod member and not of

          TripAdvisor Reviews Myrtles Plantation Saint Francisville

          4.00 of 5 stars Excellent

          Travel Blogs from Saint Francisville

          Chicago to New Orleans

          A travel blog entry by jopat on Feb 25, 2016

          13 photos

          Woke up early to take care of a few work things before we headed to the airport. Ride to the airport was easy and quick. We checked-in, dropped off our bags ("which one is Patrick?"), and then went through security. I was selected for Pre-Check but Patrick wasn't, so he was turned back as soon as I went through the gate.

          I picked up snack …

          A Weekend in Baton Rouge Louisiana

          A travel blog entry by travelezeuk on Jul 30, 2015

          4 photos

          ... great views of Baton Rouge and free tours take place every hour. There's also a lot of history attached to the building, some of it not particularly happy; inside the you can still see a pencil embedded in the ceiling from a bomb attack in the 1970's.

          On a similar theme, another building worth having a look at ...

          Bayou to Baton

          A travel blog entry by theoneride on Jul 01, 2015

          122 photos

          ... had the WiFi feature on and the continuous searching kills the battery.

          Great lunch, it started raining so I ate slow. The rain subsided so I hit the road. I got a mile down the road, near the Superdome, when the skies started cracking. I put my rain suit on and again hit the road. Bad idea. Me, another fellow biker and many cars stopped in a covered on ramp when the skies opened up with a light ...

          Antebellum Louisiana

          A travel blog entry by tonyjtgilbert on Jun 02, 2015

          2 photos

          ... banks of the Mississippi and the house tour gave valuable insights into the lives of both the plantation owners and their slaves. Then back into the car driving north on Highway 61 ("The Blues Highway"), halfway to Natchez where we settled for the evening at another old Antebellum Plantation, English this time, still run by a descendant of the original Butler Family ...

          Change of plans

          A travel blog entry by the_quinlans on May 31, 2015

          ... and information. This makes sense I guess since Stennis Space Center was a shuttle engine test facility. With the Shuttle program ending, so did the operations at Stennis.

          Unfortunately, the schedule has changed with the change in operations. Today the science center and tours were closed.

          We ended up continuing to Baton Rouge to a campground and staying the night there.